Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Best low traffic lake for walleye/bass

8/7/17 @ 4:03 PM
ORIGNAL POST
Bama Fisherman
User since 1/19/03

I'm already planning next year's trek to Wisconsin up from Alabama to do some Early June fishing.  I was hoping some of y'all could offer up some suggestions on where I should plan on tossing a few lines.  I'm not crazy about really big water and prefer the out of the way bodies of water with cabins to rent or a small town nearby.  To me it's about lowering my blood pressure not dodging jet skis or getting sloshed about by weekend warriors running wide open just for the hell of it.  I appreciate any who would share some knowledge.  It's usually 15+ hrs on the road and I'd rather take some local advice than risk a wasted trip based on some tourist web site.

Cap 

DISPLAYING 1 TO 6 OF 6 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
8/8/17 @ 11:12 AM
Publiclandhunter
Publiclandhunter
User since 8/31/11

I'd check out VRBO and home away from home for cabin rentals in Vilas, Iron, and Oneida Counties that meet your budget.  Then I'd give preference points to any that were on a lake with no public access.  The WI DNR has all the stocking info online so it's not too hard to find a lake that meets your needs.  I'm in the same boat as you, smaller waters that I can break down in a week stay with other options nearby. 

If I was already driving 15 hours though I'd tack on another 4 hours and head to northern MN.  The fishing is exponentially better around Ely, MN and the area will give you more of a northwoods experience.  One below is a perfect example for Ely and cheap.  Not a lot of small lakes in northern WI that can produce 43" pike, 30" walleye, 20" bass, and 14" crappies. 

Northern Aire

8/8/17 @ 10:00 AM
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03

I'd look at a flowage.  Turtle Flambeau.  Willow.  Something like that early in the year.  That should have low traffic and plenty of eyes and bass to chase.

Vilas county can be good in general in May, just avoid the weekends and you will avoid a lot of boats.  If you fish on Saturday or Sunday till noon, just understand there will be boats around.

8/7/17 @ 10:21 PM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01

Vilas county comes to mind... have fished a number of small lakes ... some with success ...some were just an adventure to get to

or hire a guide for a day, some specialize in fishing smaller out of the way lakes... pick an area you are interested in and do a little searching

my boys and I would pick a lake to stay on, then explore the area

this was invaluable as a tool

store.randmcnally.com/delorme-atlas-gazetteer-wisconsin.html

8/7/17 @ 6:53 PM
wskiph
wskiph
User since 9/3/11

do your trip before school is out  and you should be good   Use June 15th as  date

i suggest Vilas county

8/7/17 @ 6:17 PM
Edge
User since 2/28/07

I would do Petenwell. Lots of options for fishing. Main lake,river, backwaters. Can get away from the crowd

DISPLAYING 1 TO 6 OF 6 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.