Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Best Fish Finder for Winnebago and Lake Michigan

4/27/14 @ 12:33 PM
ORIGINAL POST
J B
User since 3/10/02
Hello, I'm in the market for a newer fish finder. Last year, I was not impressed with my other two fish 10 year old finders in the deep water of Lake Michigan. I'm leery of putting holes in my transom though. Right now, I can get a bottom read at higher speeds. I would consider getting a poly plate to mount on the transom, so I could reposition the transducer if my first location isn't any better at higher speeds. Do these need to be drilled in or can they be glued on with confidence that won't fall off? There seems to be a million options with fish finders now days. I don't think that I need high end down imaging. I could maybe see side imaging working well on bago or Lake Michigan. Do you think that this option helps locate and catch more fish? Online reviews seem to favor Hummingbird customer service. I would likely, upgrade boats next year, so I would want something compatible with newer boat technology- ethernet. GPS is a must. I have a chip already for a handheld. Any other suggestions to help clear up all of the options? Any finders or transducers capable of seeing the thermocline since I don't have downriggers or temp devices for Lake Michigan? I may look at the smaller (cheaper) 500 or 700 series if they can do what I need on a smaller screen. $500-$750 would be ideal. TIA

DISPLAYING 1 TO 3 OF 3 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
4/28/14 @ 7:32 PM
ducks forever
User since 10/15/07
We have lowrance hds5 units on both boats and they work awesome both on lake Michigan and bago I would steer clear of humminbird personally after having issues with 2 one year old ice fishing flashers and having to send each in multiple time to get the original problem fixed on each and getting blatantly lied to on the phone about what they repaired

4/27/14 @ 5:43 PM
davef
User since 3/8/04
That's a good question? I was in the market also, but I went with the down imaging. There were 2 units I selected from the Lawrence elite 7 and the Hummingbird 859ci HD DI. Both units will work good for walleye and salmon, both have GPS and down imaging. (I think side imaging also but you will pay more)I did my research and got the hummingbird for 699.00 right now Lawrence has the elite 7 on sale with a 100.00 rebate. There were some minor things I liked with both units, but I was burned by lowrance in the past so that was the deciding point.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 3 OF 3 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.