MENU Lake-Link.com MORE

best areas or lakes to retire on for fishing

12/30/18 @ 8:37 AM
ORIGINAL POST
The conservationist
The conservationist
USER since 12/16/13

Fellow lake linkers I was looking for any opinions about areas of the state that would provide decent panfishing and possibly on a lake or chain . Starting to think about buying a cabin but primarily would be for fishing and base camp for bird and deer hunting. Would welcome any thoughts or insights from fellow lake linkers.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 17 Posts
7/12/19 @ 7:55 AM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12

If you don’t want to live in a zoo like Eagle River. St Germain, Minaqua......, there is usually something for sale on the Rainbow flowage. The zoo comment is my opinion only. There is a lot of properties for sale on 200 to 400 acre lakes in Oneida and Vilas counties. If you want your taxes cut in half, get a property where the road goes between your house and shoreline. 

Post Your Comment
7/11/19 @ 7:01 PM
Tuffy2
Tuffy2
MEMBER since 7/7/04

https://www.cartochrome.com/overall-health-index/wi/54560-sayner-wisconsin/

For food you can go to St. Germain, Phelps, Eagle River, Sayner, Star Lake, etc. Sorry no baseball games that I know of. To me it is just a nice small town that is not full of people like the Dells area. It is still the true north woods. But we all have our opinions, so I stated mine.

Edited on 7/11/19 7:08 PM
Post Your Comment
7/10/19 @ 5:03 PM
Blkhwkbob
Blkhwkbob
USER since 5/27/09

Fair enough, but where is the great healthcare in Sayner? There's a lot of money in the Northwoods and it is reflected in the grocery prices and especially the restaurants. Basically your choices are greasy bar burgers or $25 a plate fine dining or supper clubs. How about taking in a ballgame or a concert? 4 hour drive? Every area has its good and bad. I'll find a nice place in Adams or Juneau.

Post Your Comment
7/10/19 @ 9:46 AM
Tuffy2
Tuffy2
MEMBER since 7/7/04

I had the same plan for Lake Camelot, so I bought some land on one of the golf courses. Property taxes are high in the Town of Rome, as they support the entire area of welfare. Association fees are high, golf courses are jammed in the summer, the lakes are a Zoo, it’s too far out for everyday shopping, or healthcare if needed. As far as deer hunting, keep your head low, or stay behind a tree. I sold the land and never built on it.

As mentioned earlier, Sayner is a great area. The only drawback is deer hunting is not that good, but if you do a lot of scouting ahead of time you could probably overcome that.

Edited on 7/10/19 9:48 AM
Post Your Comment
7/9/19 @ 5:00 PM
Blkhwkbob
Blkhwkbob
USER since 5/27/09
How about Lake Camelot or Sherwood up in Adams County? Those are small lakes with some affordable houses. It's a half hour from the Dells and close to Castle Rock and Petenwell. Golf courses all over the place, too. Even better if you don't want to be on a lake, land in that area is cheap, and there are plenty of BIG deer around. If you go over to Juneau county, there are areas with really neat geography--hills and deep valleys and I'd assume good hunting, too. I'm planning on retiring in that area myself.

Edited on 7/9/19 5:03 PM
Post Your Comment
6/30/19 @ 9:47 PM
Gmlakeman
Gmlakeman
USER since 6/30/19

Looking for our primary house on a lake within 1.5 hr drive from Rockford IL. Wife and I want to be in the lives of sons  and grandchildren and live that dream we shared about spending time in the outdoors with them fishing and hopefully hunting.

Made half a dozen trips and more confused then were we started. Thought large lake with challenges and water quality. But cost and taxes are an eye opener. We can trailer boat no problem. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to find a water quality lake where a family can realise their retirement dreams.

Post Your Comment
12/30/18 @ 7:38 PM
frenchbrit
frenchbrit
USER since 7/24/01

Conservationalist- Incidentally there is/was another thread devoted to this same subject. I can't find it right now but there were a ton of great comments that I am sure you would be interested in. Unless it got nuked for some reason. I used it in my search I think??

Post Your Comment
12/30/18 @ 7:31 PM
frenchbrit
frenchbrit
USER since 7/24/01

So like I said I'm new here so I can base this only on what I have heard. It was supposed to be a great crappie lake some years back. Then the boy scouts held a ice fishing tournament on it and it got murdered. One neighbor said there were cars and trucks lined up and down the road for weeks after that and they essentially fished it out. Its trying to come back but slowly. Yes I have caught white crappies on it but they were all pretty small. I only keep a few fish a year just trying to do my part. Hopefully others are respecting the 5 fish limit per day. I have only caught 1 small walleye all year.

Post Your Comment
12/30/18 @ 6:44 PM
Publiclandhunter
Publiclandhunter
USER since 8/31/11

Jealous frenchbritt. Love that lake, used to be like Canada before they removed the walleye size limit.  Interesting white crappies have showed up.

Post Your Comment
12/30/18 @ 5:13 PM
frenchbrit
frenchbrit
USER since 7/24/01

Just to add some comments on what others have said. My taxes are cheap. I was amazed how reasonable they were when I bought but they actually went down from there $200.00 this year. Health care may not be The Mayo clinic but the very few times I have had to access the Hayward medical center I have been more than satisfied. Granted I am relatively healthy so not much experience with it. I do know that Sawyer county has 2- 3 person crews of full time paramedics which are stationed 24/7 in both Hayward and Winter. I know of no other small rural county that has that level of service. Internet speed works fine for everything I do including streaming movies. Cell tower reception is not very good at all.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 17 Posts