Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

best areas or lakes to retire on for fishing

12/30/18 @ 8:37 AM
ORIGNAL POST
The conservationist
User since 12/16/13

Fellow lake linkers I was looking for any opinions about areas of the state that would provide decent panfishing and possibly on a lake or chain . Starting to think about buying a cabin but primarily would be for fishing and base camp for bird and deer hunting. Would welcome any thoughts or insights from fellow lake linkers.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 22 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
8/15/19 @ 9:01 AM
Kupti
User since 6/15/01

IMHO and for what it's worth … the question was about 'AREAS' or lakes … How about SW Wisc. ?? … From the IL./Wisc. border, West to the Mississippi, North to the Wisconsin River and East to the 'Driftless Area' you've got boating, fishing, camping, and hunting choices that are probably more diverse and rewarding than other areas of the state … AND … not that bad a drive from 'population' centers … 

7/31/19 @ 3:34 PM
Tuffy2
MEMBER since 7/7/04
The area you are talking about, the town of Rome is not cheap. The whole area is overrun with plates from south of the Wisconsin border. That alone runs the price of admission up. I sold our land on the golf course due to the high taxes and association fees. If your going to join all of the others with a trailer hitch on your home you may be ok, but don’t plan on fishing any of the lakes. You will get run over by wake board boats and jet ski’s.

7/31/19 @ 2:13 AM
Blkhwkbob
User since 5/27/09

You're right, I've never, ever been to Vilas, Oneida or Iron County. I can't afford it! 

7/27/19 @ 7:07 AM
Regjoe
User since 2/7/06

Eagle River or Three Lakes Chain would be it for me.  Lots of fish and all the 12" eyes you need.  If one lake is windy there is a ton of others to go to and we always get fish on them.

7/26/19 @ 9:47 PM
Coolhog
User since 10/7/18

Greasy bar burgers? $25 dinners? While groceries are a little more expensive you've obviously not spent any amount of time up there... You just stay down there in Adams county as it sounds like it'll be a good fit for you...lol

7/12/19 @ 7:55 AM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12

If you don’t want to live in a zoo like Eagle River. St Germain, Minaqua......, there is usually something for sale on the Rainbow flowage. The zoo comment is my opinion only. There is a lot of properties for sale on 200 to 400 acre lakes in Oneida and Vilas counties. If you want your taxes cut in half, get a property where the road goes between your house and shoreline. 

7/11/19 @ 7:01 PM
Tuffy2
MEMBER since 7/7/04

https://www.cartochrome.com/overall-health-index/wi/54560-sayner-wisconsin/

For food you can go to St. Germain, Phelps, Eagle River, Sayner, Star Lake, etc. Sorry no baseball games that I know of. To me it is just a nice small town that is not full of people like the Dells area. It is still the true north woods. But we all have our opinions, so I stated mine.

7/10/19 @ 5:03 PM
Blkhwkbob
User since 5/27/09

Fair enough, but where is the great healthcare in Sayner? There's a lot of money in the Northwoods and it is reflected in the grocery prices and especially the restaurants. Basically your choices are greasy bar burgers or $25 a plate fine dining or supper clubs. How about taking in a ballgame or a concert? 4 hour drive? Every area has its good and bad. I'll find a nice place in Adams or Juneau.

7/10/19 @ 9:46 AM
Tuffy2
MEMBER since 7/7/04

I had the same plan for Lake Camelot, so I bought some land on one of the golf courses. Property taxes are high in the Town of Rome, as they support the entire area of welfare. Association fees are high, golf courses are jammed in the summer, the lakes are a Zoo, it’s too far out for everyday shopping, or healthcare if needed. As far as deer hunting, keep your head low, or stay behind a tree. I sold the land and never built on it.

As mentioned earlier, Sayner is a great area. The only drawback is deer hunting is not that good, but if you do a lot of scouting ahead of time you could probably overcome that.

7/9/19 @ 5:00 PM
Blkhwkbob
User since 5/27/09
How about Lake Camelot or Sherwood up in Adams County? Those are small lakes with some affordable houses. It's a half hour from the Dells and close to Castle Rock and Petenwell. Golf courses all over the place, too. Even better if you don't want to be on a lake, land in that area is cheap, and there are plenty of BIG deer around. If you go over to Juneau county, there are areas with really neat geography--hills and deep valleys and I'd assume good hunting, too. I'm planning on retiring in that area myself.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 22 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.