Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Alaska

7/29/17 @ 7:58 PM
ORIGNAL POST
muskyman
User since 6/19/01
Going on an Alaskan cruise the end of May.  would like to go halibut fishing and was wondering if anyone has gone on a charter.Would love some advice as it seems some people have had a bad experience booking with the cruise ships.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 6 OF 6 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
8/1/17 @ 1:25 PM
SJB
SJB
User since 7/16/01

Interesting Redskin - I was out of Ketchikan going back 10 years or so ago and most of us on the boat kept fish in the 30-50# range.  I wonder if they have been outfished in that area?  I don't recall needing to go out super far either.  Maybe an 45 min each way. 

8/1/17 @ 11:05 AM
muskyman
User since 6/19/01

Thanks for the info! 

7/30/17 @ 9:17 PM
redskin
User since 1/28/02

We just got back a few weeks ago.  One of the challenges with halibut fishing on a cruise is the time it takes to get to the better fishing areas.  I talked to one charter captain and he said its at least 2 1/2 hrs out and 2 1/2 back.  He said anything less would be a waste of time.  Didn't leave much time to fish depending on your ships itinerary.  I was hesitant to book in advance for the one port we had time for, due to forecast of rough seas.  In looking at the catch from charters in Ketchikan the day we were there, not real impressive - a few halibut maybe 15 lbs from 4 boats.  I did do a grayling fly fishing float trip in Fairbanks that was a lot of fun. Agree that you can get cheaper services by booking directly and avoiding the cruise line uncharge.

7/30/17 @ 10:36 AM
ocetp
ocetp
User since 7/7/01

I booked a shared charter with Whittier Marine out of Whittier Alaska in early July.  Had a good time, despite difficult conditions.  Landed a 130-pound fish and almost immediately hooked a 188-pounder that I handed off to a kid to land.

i just did a bunch of Google  and TripAdvisor research  for the stops on our Alaska cruise.

7/30/17 @ 7:57 AM
Flyrod Man
User since 8/13/09

Fished many times out of Homer, day charters and 48 hr charters out to the Barren Islands.  Always had a good time.  Spend a day in Homer looking and checking out. Going out to the Barren Islands (60-70 miles) water can get a little rough if u r the sea sick type be prepared.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 6 OF 6 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.