Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

A new Tom Tiffany bill.

3/24/18 @ 9:55 AM
ORIGNAL POST
Western Extreme
User since 12/17/17

Looks like Tom Tiffany has introduced a bill moving fast in the legislator allowing people to shoot game fish with a bow or crossbow. 

DISPLAYING 1 TO 8 OF 8 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
3/28/18 @ 10:27 AM
T-O-C
T-O-C
User since 3/28/18

As someone who loves to catfish, I've got some concerns about the legislation.

First, bowfishing and handfishing are two totally different practices, with different consequences, and if they are up for discussion, should be discussed individually, not lumped into the same law.

Second, particularly with bowfishing, the legislation is essentially relegating catfish to rough fish status (as the only fish available to bowfish are rough fish), something many of us lifelong catters have been fighting against.

With noodling, this is introducing something with no cultural history here, that can have damaging effects to the flathead catfish population. Noodling is essentially climbing into a catfish 'nest' and pulling out a huge male while it's guarding eggs.

Catfishing is rising in popularity, precisely because people are learning that they are not rough fish, but a great game fish that is good eating. Why change that? 

Basically, if the catfish is a game fish, treat it like one. 

I have been contacting my legislators, and Mr. Tiffany. I'm also going to introduce a resolution at the Conservation Congress in Vernon County on April 9th.

If you care about this issue, take a couple minutes to hit up your legislators and go to the CC on the 9th. 

3/28/18 @ 12:56 AM
denesox
denesox
User since 2/1/06

snakester...you might be surprised at how discriminating they tend to be when not in a vulnerable position.....we think of them as mean and agressive because when we see them they are either being held, which no wild animal appreciates...heck a rabbit would bite you...or when they are on land.   When down in a secluded area, its totally differrent.

For a long time in my youth I used to hunt them by reaching under banks and feeilng them out...by feelng the carapace, you can tell which is front and back, I would spin them around and pull them out by their tail...never had one incident of agression until they became compromised

3/27/18 @ 5:46 AM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12

Every time I see guys noodling on TV I always think about Snapping Turtles. My fingers look like a noodle treat for a Snapper. 

3/26/18 @ 9:24 PM
Wicasa
Wicasa
User since 11/11/15

I really don’t care one way or the other about catfish with bows.  I am 100% on board with the noodling thing.  That’d rock!

3/26/18 @ 7:18 PM
amaranthlost
User since 5/31/10

The are two bills moving through both the assembly and the senate and just pertain to allowing the taking of catfish with a bow or crossbow the same as rough fish. He also wants to allow noodling but that is a separate bill.

https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/2017/related/proposals/ab913

https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/2017/related/proposals/sb766

3/26/18 @ 6:15 PM
madforlabs
User since 12/20/12

It's catfish only. Would not impact any other gamefish.

3/26/18 @ 4:59 PM
Cold Front
MEMBER since 7/9/01

Wasn't it meant to be for catfish? Mrt.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 8 OF 8 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.