Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

World of Outlaws Sprint Car Series

7/6/16 @ 9:58 AM
ORIGNAL POST
Ed Franko
User since 5/6/15

I just got off the lake with Jason Johnson. Jason is the driver of the number 41 sprint car. Jason has won several series championships and is currently in seventh place in the points for the WOO.  If any of you live in the Richmond Wisconsin area he will be racing this weekend at the Cedar Point Speedway. If you are a Nascar fan this is real racing not follow the leader.   They will be there this coming Friday July 8th and Saturday July 9th Good time for sure.....   

Big Ed’s Guide Service
(573) 692-6710
DISPLAYING 1 TO 3 OF 3 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
7/7/16 @ 12:12 PM
Ed Franko
User since 5/6/15

I rememeber the good old days also it was unreal.. Woo is not as strong of a series as it once was for sure .But is still a good show.  I love sprint cars no matter if it is 360 or 410 on short tracks. As far as Knoxville it is like watching paint dry with 360. I think it is blazing fast follow the leader racing.  I much perfer a bullring high bank 3/8 or a 1/4 racetrack. The Short Track Nationals In Little Rock is a fantastic race held the last Wed, Thursday and Friday and Saturday of October. It is a 360 race that is out of this world.  It is all a good time ...No matter where and what. 

Big Ed’s Guide Service
(573) 692-6710
7/6/16 @ 9:37 PM
Ulbian
User since 9/24/03

Just to nitpick a little bit.  He won titles in 360 sprints.  The WoO series are 410's. There are some nuances between the two that are pretty significant but regardless of that, to run an entire season with a traveling series is a pretty tough deal.  

It's too bad that the different sanctioning bodies are splintered all over the place.  The fields just aren't as deep as they were 25-30 years ago.  Then you had guys in their prime traveling the entire year.  You just don't have a field night after night with the likes of Steve and Mark Kinser, Sammy Swindell, Dave Blaney, Doug Wolfgang, Jac Haudenschild, Jack Hewitt, Stevie Smith, Bobby Allen, Bobby Davis Jr, Andy Hillenburg, etc.  Then you'd see them run at Hales Corners and very few locals would get into the A-main.  "Locals" (or non traveling guys) very seldom won.  On the other hand it was pretty cool to see that Balog picked one off not long ago at Beaver Dam.  Travis Whitney is a guy who I thought had the potential to be a force on a national circuit like that but it never happened.  Funding probably got in the way.  

To me the high water mark for the WoO winged sprints was the 1990 Knoxville Nationals.  That was the first one I attended and walking out you knew it wasn't going to be topped and it's reached legendary status.  Wolfgang had to work his way into the A-main by transferring out of the D-main.  So he won the D, finished 2nd in the C, and won the B.  Then came from the back and finished 5th.  Both Kinsers dropped out.  Bobby Allen ran around the bottom every lap and was up front most of the race but had a duel with Swindell over the last 10 or so laps and passed him with 2 to go.  Big time upset and very popular win by the guy.

It's not cheap to run weekly let alone getting out and traveling like this.  A good friend who runs a late model said that for just a weekly show he's spending about $500 per night.  He ran some specials over the past month out at Cedar Lake and in Illinois and had top 10 finishes but barely broke even.  

DISPLAYING 1 TO 3 OF 3 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.