SEARCH
MORE
General Discussion

Wisconsin Badgers

3/26/04 @ 4:37 PM
INITIAL POST
Troutnut
User since 1/7/02
I would like to start this thread up again for anyone who is interested in discussing the Badgers. In the future, I hope that the moderators will remove posts from antagonistic people, rather than removing this thread all together. Otherwise, antagonists will be able to remove any thread they want to. So, let's keep things good natured and civil when we talk about the Badgers.

Displaying 41 to 50 of 12,119 posts
3/25/24 @ 1:02 PM
JC-Wisconsin
User since 4/1/05
OK, I try to stay away from this as Badgers basketball is dear to me....but....anyway, I have been on the pro-Gard wagon for years...even through the calls to fire him, what...back in '21?  However, I am done even though Bo endorsed him as head coach.

1) To me, Gard is an excellent assistant coach and a great man.  He is only a good coach in my opinion.  Probably great at Xs and Os and instituting good drills.  However, he has no fire nor motivating factors for his players as far as I can tell.  Definitely not a dominating personality and no wonder why the team seems unmotivated at the start of games very often.  To not get a technical foul during that last Purdue game was telling.  2) Bo Ryan and Dick Bennett's success came from holding players accountable, limiting turnovers, and playing sound defense despite lack of recruiting 5 star athletes.  Heck, that is the only way they could win with the talent they had at times (except for a couple of Bo's teams).  Gard's teams are not held accountable for turnovers or poor defense (except Connor Essegian apparently).  Gard's teams always seem to struggle on defense. Turnovers have plagued this team for the past couple of years.  Gard cannot win with the talent he brings in if he doesn't hold guys accountable for horrid turnovers or lack of hustle on defense.   
3) Alando Tucker attempted a mutiny a couple of year's ago to take Gard's job when Alando was the assistant coach.  Alando did not think Gard was up for the job, and got into player's heads.  The players confronted Gard about his unwillingness to communicate ala the leaked audio tape.  I realize Alando is a d*ck,, but where there is smoke isn't there fire?  Kobe King blamed Gard (and insinuated many others felt the same) for much of the reason for his departure...smoke?
4) Recruiting had never been great under the last 3 coaches, but the other two seemed to somehow fit a round peg into a square hole.  To have Connor Essegian on the bench when the team refuses to play defense......what can you lose?  No wonder why he is transferring.  Gus Yalden, Ben Carlson, Taylor Currie, Lorne Bowman, Matt Mors, Tai Strickland, Kobe King.....I could go on and on at the recruits who either weren't good enough/head cases that were complete busts.  Seems that the last two coaches could have won games with anyone...not as much with Gard.  To top it off by letting the best WI kids leave the state year after year it digs the program a hole.

To me...it just feels like the program has turned into a mess.  Might as well try a different path as the current path has been brutal for 7 years.
3/25/24 @ 12:24 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02
Unfortunately, badgers, lost a key Wisconsin recruit to Iowa State the other day. Xzavion Mitchell from Oshkosh. 
3/25/24 @ 12:06 PM
the_dude
the_dude
User since 1/10/03
That’s very disappointing.  Expected but still disappointing.  Gard did an awful job developing him.  I home he has success wherever he end up and I hope it isn’t the Big 10, but wouldn’t be surprised if it was.  I can see him at Northwestern or Nebraska.  
3/25/24 @ 12:05 PM
cm1234
User since 8/3/12
JMU made me some $$$ in that game. All the homer badger fans were so desperate to bet on that sorry a s s team. Why was Wahl on the court? BUM. 
3/25/24 @ 8:10 AM
Jimbo
Jimbo
User since 6/18/01
They couldn't use somebody that could actually shoot the ball anyway.
3/24/24 @ 9:15 PM
BarDown
BarDown
User since 3/9/19
Essegian entering the transfer portal. No surprise there. 
3/24/24 @ 7:00 PM
mskyadk
PRO MEMBER User since 11/11/01
To bad but that was a good game.
3/24/24 @ 1:45 PM
antler junkie
User since 8/17/05
Just a reminder the Wisconsin Women’s hockey team is playing Ohio St. for the National Championship today at 3:00. The game will be televised on ESPNU. Go Badgers !!
Wisconsin Badgers photo by antler junkie
3/23/24 @ 10:28 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02
I’ve thought about that too. 
Both Badger teams seem to do well in the Big Ten, create fan interest, go to the postseason, win conference games, but they really don’t seem built to do well outside of the conference. ​
3/23/24 @ 9:08 PM
tailsneyes
User since 11/29/19
It is the same for UW Basketball and Football. They both are built to play in the BIG10. When either plays more athletic teams you see the results. Cant keep up with the opponent
Displaying 41 to 50 of 12,119 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE