Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

What would you do???

7/22/14 @ 7:51 PM
ORIGNAL POST
cbone
User since 7/6/14
I am currently going through a divorce that is beyond repairing. Would you keep your dream house on winnebago and give the woman your whole 401K? Or I could sell the house and everything is split. I have a feeling if I sell that would be the end of ever living here again due to bills, child support ect. Im 32 years old. Your thoughts are appreciated.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 11 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
7/25/14 @ 9:31 AM
muskrat30
muskrat30
User since 10/14/01
All the best. Nothing to add except lawyer up as needed.

7/25/14 @ 7:12 AM
fishs
User since 2/17/04
Agree with lota but one thought. Down the road you could end up losing the house too. Then you would have nothing. Plenty of women out there with good paying jobs.

7/24/14 @ 11:05 PM
lota lota
lota lota
User since 7/12/01
There are way too many variables to answer your question on a outdoor message board, but this is what I do for a living. (please, no comments from the L-L Peanut Gallery!) Please PM me and I would be happy to direct you to a good attorney in your area.

7/24/14 @ 9:23 AM
One shot one kill
MEMBER since 8/12/02
So far it's only about you. Does she work, have any income or assets 401k ? When a sister in law was getting divorced she worked at UPS . Good job , but only part time . I think you started part time then before going full . Had a 3 year old kid . Judge said she had to work full time so she had to quit for a lesser paying full time job . In a divorce can a woman still get away with calling herself a full time home maker ? If custody is to be shared I would think she can work .

7/24/14 @ 12:47 AM
Lectrotech
Lectrotech
User since 11/19/09
You're only 32. Keep the house. Find a roommate and split the bills. I lost a house with prime hunting, never got it back. You can retire later. Besides it will probably P her off.

7/23/14 @ 8:33 PM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12
Cbone, put your numbers on paper and use some good old fashioned logic. Will your income support the lakeside living, property taxes, house payments, other financial responsibilities.

Maybe you have a good income to support the lakeside living; but its always wise to look at these situations as if you could lose your job or income next week or next year. Many people arent as fincancially secure as they want to believe and one single occurrence such as an unforseen job loss or some accident makes your finances a house of cards.

Best to you and good luck.

7/23/14 @ 12:56 AM
reeldrag83
reeldrag83
User since 12/20/12
Im going to start this off by saying I really feel for you and the kids cuz there are going to be no winners in this. I have been thru a brutal knock down divorce myself and I went thru a nasty one with my current wife and her ex. Step one get the best lawyer you can find. In a divorce the best adive is the advice you pay for!!! Do your home work on him or her the lawyer. Second as hard as it is, take emotion out of it. This just became a buisness. Dont listen to your close friends they know to much of your and her history and will put emotion in thier advice. 1 can you afford home on your own after support and other bills. Second its only a house you can get another one. Do you want to stay in your dream home that was your guys home old ghosts so to speak. Just something to think about. You have plenty of time to rebuild 401 k. You have alot of long nights ahead of you. Good luck love your kids treat your ex with a level of respect for the kids sake and to be the bigger person. Good luck my prayers to you. Trust me it will get better it will hurt but one day you will be better off and happier.

7/22/14 @ 9:32 PM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01
feel for you, but you need better advice than you can get here... you're young and looks like you will be raising kids for awhile... so you need to consider them first, imo

if you have a lawyer, they usually can give you the raw facts and figures, then you may need to talk to someone, family, church... or whatever, to help figure out what you want for you and the kid(s) ....

it's tough right now, but you need to get all the good advice you can

not sure if your soon to be EX is accommodating to being sure that kids get the high priority

I wish you all good luck

7/22/14 @ 8:13 PM
jawjerker
jawjerker
User since 1/14/02
All are different. Ex bro-in-law was fortunate when he dumped Mrs. J2's cheating sister that she only took half of the 2 houses that they owned. She could have asked for 1/2 of the 2 Mustangs,1/2 the Torino, 1/2 his 401k and half of everything else

7/22/14 @ 8:06 PM
eyesman
eyesman
User since 1/7/02
You are between a rock and a hard place. Do the math and see what leaves you with the most assets, the house or 401k. You are young enough to rebuild the 401k by retirement. Weigh the option of being broke and having the lake home versus the alternative. Make sure you have a good lawyer.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 11 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.