Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

What to do with Car

8/1/17 @ 5:16 PM
ORIGNAL POST
mountin lyin
User since 3/30/04

My daughters engine blew on her 2008 Hyundai Tuscon only 83,000 miles. The shell off the car and the inside is in mint condition . Trying to get some cash for this what is my best option maybe on Craigslist to buy as is and someone would want for it as a whole? Thanks for any help.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 15 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
8/18/17 @ 7:14 AM
ihookem
ihookem
User since 11/29/01
My daughter blew out my sons engine and we got it done for 2,400 . It was a 2000 Dodge Stratus and there are a lot of 2.4 Mopar engines out there. The new engine had about 100k on it. Still not sure we got a deal on it or not. It has been 13 months and no problem at all. Just a note, , young kids dont seem to be conscious of engine maintenance. Last week , I asked my son, , , , when was the last time you changed oil? ?? blank look. I dont think he changed the oil since he got the new motor and that was 19,000 mi. ago. He said he did but I didn't recognize the filter so , .  I remember checking oil all the time and dont recall this many blown motors unless we beat them . 

8/18/17 @ 1:55 AM
derwayn
User since 6/27/17

Don't rebuild unless you are decided that you still want your stock engine. Buy a used one and find a trusted mechanic who will drop it in for you.

8/3/17 @ 6:26 PM
Plmlk
Brent Hess
MEMBER since 12/18/07

Good comments Mr. B.

You can get things done a bit cheaper once you get out of IL.  I would think you could get it done in WI for around 2,100.  

Nice of you to take care of your Mom too!

The Woodlands Resort
(262) 661-3968
8/2/17 @ 2:45 PM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
User since 6/12/10

My mom's engine just blew in her Chevy HHR and considering she still owes money on it we decided to replace the motor.  I paid for everything for her so I know how much it all cost.  Everything went through our mechanic which is a very reputable shop in the south burbs of Chicago.  We ended up getting a used motor with 67k miles on it and a 1 year warranty from a local boneyard for $1,300.  This was found through the mechanic.  The cost for labor and a few other random parts/fluids ended up being just over $1,900 for installation.  So, a hair over $3,200 to replace the engine.  They did also quote us for a brand new engine with a 3-year warranty, but that was over $6,000 so we passed on that.  

I think you'd probably only get a few hundred for the car so getting the engine replaced might be a reasonable option as long as you can find a solid shop that will do it for a fair price.

8/2/17 @ 2:40 PM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

I always look at vehicle repairs in terms of how many new car payments it would cost.  If you drive your repaired one for that many months, you sort of broke even in a sense.

$1000 repair vs $350/month payment, drive if for 3 months and you are ahead with the older car.

8/2/17 @ 1:12 PM
mountin lyin
User since 3/30/04

Frame is mint

8/1/17 @ 8:19 PM
amaranthlost
User since 5/31/10

I don't think she would have been covered by the warranty as a second owner. I have a 2011 Tuscon with only 75K miles and was told by the dealer that the 10yr, 100K warranty for powertrain only applied to the first owner. 2nd owners are only covered for 5yr, 60,000 miles on powertrain. On newer ones the warranty is fully transferable but on the older it was fairly limited for 2nd owners.

How is the frame? I know a lot of older ones had a recall for corrosion where they inspected and applied a protective coating.

8/1/17 @ 7:40 PM
murman
User since 11/4/08

You could also go to a local car shop, not a dealer because they charge outrageous labor.  And possibly get a rebuild Jasper engine.  It comes with a warranty too for them  and you could get that for about $3000.  Much better then going to a dealer for when they cheat their customers.  This is from experience in working for a dealership for 5 years, never never buy from them in repairs.  Only go to dealer when its under warranty,  I never even brought my car to get fixed with my employee discount at dealership.    

8/1/17 @ 7:25 PM
Plmlk
Brent Hess
MEMBER since 12/18/07

If you buy a brand new motor from the dealer I could see $6K.  If you buy one from a local boneyard you won't spend anymore than $800, and likely considerably less. 

Also, don't have the dealer put an engine in, use a local shop.  If you would like someone who can give you a price for a used motor with installation let me know - I'd be happy to send you contact info. on the shop I use.  I live within 30 minutes of the Il border. 

The Woodlands Resort
(262) 661-3968
8/1/17 @ 7:20 PM
mountin lyin
User since 3/30/04

Thanks for reponses, was told 6000 to put new one in , she is second owner so warranty that ended a month ago doesnt work either, dealer wont help out, 

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 15 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.