LAKES
REPORTS
FORUMS
TRAVEL
DEALS
SEARCH
MORE
General Discussion

What is your favorite (brand name) fishing rod, reel.

9/18/21 @ 5:40 PM
INITIAL POST
phishin phool
phishin phool
PRO MEMBER User since 4/5/08

Do you use alternating equipment on spinning rods and/or bait casting rods. I hope this has not been "attempted" before...

Displaying 1 to 15 of 26 posts
9/19/21 @ 7:30 PM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

The 300 is defintiley legendary. bought my first one in 1972 at the Holiday gas station in Ripon with some gift money from my aunt n uncle.  I bought a few more over the years. They just seemed so beefy that they had to be good. Yeah stuff on them breaks easy and the line would get tangled but seemed like a big step above the old zebco amd shakespeare stuff.

Now its Pfleuger Prez, 4 of them, and so far nothing breaks. 

9/19/21 @ 6:46 PM
SuspendedMusky
SuspendedMusky
PRO MEMBER User since 12/9/08

I have about 28 different rods and reels that I have acquired over the years. Many of these I have held onto although I don't fish with them anymore.

Musky:  Rods - St. Croix, Abu-Garcia Volatile, Lamiglas, Musky Innovations, Shimano, Cabela's Fish Eagle, Okuma, Tackle Industries.  Reels - Abu Garcia Revo Toro Beast (2), 6500C3 (5), Daiwa Lexa (2), Shimano Corsair (1).  My favorite combo with braid is the Revo Toro Beast on the Volatile casting rod.  When I fished with mono back in the day it was the 6500C3 paired with Lamiglas rods. Caught hundreds with that set up.

I have broken 5 rods on fish over the years; 4 St. Croix and 1 Musky Innovations. The Musky Innovations was my own fault...low 30 lb'er on short line when the fish was netted at the boat.  The St.Croix were all material failure in the blanks.

Walleye/Bass/Panfish:  Spin combos from Abu Garcia, Shakespeare, Daiwa, Fenwick, and Mitchell.  The combos I use the most are the Abu Garcia Cardinal rod/reel.

Pike/Bass:  Casting combos using Abu Garcia Black Max reels with St Croix, 13 Fishing, or Abu Garcia casting rods.  All perform well with no issues.

9/19/21 @ 12:00 PM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17

It seems like there is no “ best “ of anything, as it should be.    CARPIO 

9/19/21 @ 11:57 AM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17

Haf2.     I disagree, I believe that AIREX WAS the first. I had one around 1950.     how many bail springs have you gone through on the 300 model?   They were lots of fun replacing the broken ones.  Lol.  CARPIO 

9/19/21 @ 9:32 AM
CCLUND
User since 5/29/11

Open water---Saint Croix

Ice Fishing----TUCR

Open water reels---Cabelas, BP, Plueger, Shimano 

Ice reels-----Shimano and Okuma

Trolling rods----Cabelas telescoping rod combos

9/19/21 @ 8:42 AM
phishin phool
phishin phool
PRO MEMBER User since 4/5/08

haf2fsh, oh yeah man, I sure remember (and still have) those Mitchell 300s!!! Awesome and remarkable reel! When I was stationed in Germany (1st tour) I bought a 308 and paired it with a Abu Garcia 2121A 5' ultra lite spinning rod! Great trout rod on the many trout streams!!!

I started using Pfluegers Presidents spinning reels about 22 years ago. 25 and 30 series. Bait casters vary from Shimano Curado 200E7, to Quantum Energy PT and Smoke series. All rods are (now) Shimano. Some Compre some Clarus. Lengths vary.

whew, sorry for gettin' so "wordy"...       AND, yes, hooks do matter!!! That's another story...

9/19/21 @ 8:22 AM
Mr.Seaguar
PRO MEMBER User since 2/5/05

Thorne Bros rods and Tica reels are my favorites but I have a managerie really which we probably all do. 

9/19/21 @ 8:09 AM
TigerMusky
User since 9/14/21
For Muskies I have a few Abu Garcia Revo Toro reels of different speeds (the “Beast” is 4.9:1, the saltwater ones that I have are 6.4:1 and the “Rocket” is 7.6:1), and have a few 8’6” telescoping Okuma EVX Musky rods (lightest action is rated for 1-8oz lures, heaviest action rated for 4-16oz lures) 
9/19/21 @ 7:52 AM
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

Elk River rods nice rods very pricey Muskie rods

Bought tackle industries 8' 6" nice handle length it was the max fit for my boat

just a bit of caution if you have an issue there is no phone number to call. Everything has to be done through email

9/19/21 @ 7:36 AM
Bowhunting Guy
User since 5/22/18

St. Croix is still the only rod out there. The Legend Elites are well worth the cost, especially for jig rods. Good options in the Tournament and Avid series for lower budget. With all the split grips and colors on other rods, they’re starting to become fashion statements.

I’ve always been a Shimano guy, but like most things the quality is diminishing. Mostly run Stradics. The Nasci isn’t bad either for $100. 

9/19/21 @ 7:07 AM
madforlabs
User since 12/20/12

St. Croix Legend spinning rods paired with Pflueger reels.

I've used Piscifun for ice fishing the last couple years so tried a spinning reel for open water this summer. Nice reel! Will be buying a couple more.

9/19/21 @ 7:06 AM
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

LJ walleye master

I got into musky fishing this year but a lot of products were out of stock and I went with

Piscifun® Alijoz Size 300 Low Profile Baitcasting Reel 8:1

It comes with the power handle

using the 8 strand and 9 strand power lines made from China they're small in diameter so I can get more line on the real. And it's pretty inexpensive

The best deal is to buy from the manufactured direct free shipping and sometimes you get up to 20% off

9/19/21 @ 6:48 AM
jumpsteady
jumpsteady
PRO MEMBER User since 12/25/01

1 piece rods....

Hooks are more important. 

9/18/21 @ 10:56 PM
LJ Walleye Master
LJ Walleye Master
User since 9/6/13

Anybody else got piscifun?  I got mine a short while ago and love it.  I know it’s made in China or Japan, but so far it’s very nice and smooth.  Can’t complain about the price either!

9/18/21 @ 9:16 PM
svitreum
svitreum
User since 8/29/06

Spinning rods: St. Croix, GLoomis

Spinning reels: Shimano, Daiwa

Baitcast rods: Falcon, BPS

Baitcast reels: Daiwa mostly

Displaying 1 to 15 of 26 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish located by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE