General Discussion

VIZSLA: (Hungarian Pointer)

9/27/20 @ 9:50 PM
INITIAL POST
Goalie Dad
Goalie Dad
User since 9/13/20

Does anybody have one? 

Not so much for a hunting partner, but a family pet.

Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 posts
9/29/20 @ 8:05 PM
CMunyon
User since 5/12/16

My brother is on his third one all have been great family pets.I don't think they could have been any better family pets.The one he has now was a rescue and she is a pretty good dog considering she was passed around before he rescued her.I would have no problem getting one.They can be a little energetic but what pup is'nt.

9/29/20 @ 12:08 PM
Hunter&Hound
User since 7/24/01

Let's see if we can get back on track...

I've been a GSP guy for 20+ years.  I almost got a Vizsla that last time I got a dog.  They're great family dogs...and great hunters.  But, for now, I'm sticking w/ my shorthairs.

Good luck!

9/29/20 @ 8:02 AM
RockRiverTom
User since 4/27/02

Phat is that a Havanese? It could be a twin to our Havanese Loli.

9/28/20 @ 10:32 AM
goju
User since 12/30/10

Vizlas are commonly called velcro dogs due to their desire to be close to - if  not in contact with - their family.  This desire to be close makes them a close working dog.  They are very sensitive so training needs to take that into account.  They don't have the drive to cover huge amounts of real estate like Short Hairs or Weimers - but what they cover they cover very well.  

Had one and it was one of the best family dogs I ever owned.   

9/28/20 @ 10:10 AM
BeerTownFyreman
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

Raised 2 from pups. Very intelligent and loyal dogs. Both were as you are looking for... family pets 1st. Both had a genetic hunting drive that was plenty good for me. Pointed and flushed on their own with basic obedience training. Retreived with little additional. Great personalities, and driven to please. 

Like any pup, this comes with work. It seemed those 2, more than other pups I've raised, thrived on consistency. Their intelligenge can help or hurt you based on your committment. Took basic obedience well, but if you let something go it was almost like you never did it before.

I would agree that while most new pups need plenty of play and exercise, Vizsla's probably need more. If you dont have a large or fenced area to run them, be ready for walks. 

Despite the potential for extra work, when recently looking to get a new pup we were in agreement on another Vizsla until a Black Lab was offered to us. I wouldn't hesitate to get another.

9/28/20 @ 8:17 AM
uplander
uplander
User since 10/6/09

A buddie of mine has one, he is a decent hunter with the training he had. Great family pet. As with any hunting breed you got to exersize them as they are bred for hunting and a good dog is a tired dog. My shorthair is 11 years old so I know this first hand. Be prepared to run him alot, everyday. Every Vizsla I met seemed to have a good temperment. My only problem with them is they all look the same. But good dogs. If you want him for hunting or a family pet I say get em and you wont be sorry.

Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing equipped by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE