SEARCH
MORE
General Discussion

Vehicle problems--Auto Mechanics Help!

10/27/06 @ 5:07 AM
INITIAL POST
big mac
User since 2/19/02
I looked for a current thread on this subject, but there was none started.

My dilema, I have a 2003 Chevy Silverado pick up, the tach has not worked properly for about 6 months and now the speedometer does not work properly. I called the dealership, and he said I might need a whole new insturment cluster, that sounds costly. My question is this, is this the only way to fix it, and does anybody out there have or had a similar problem, and what did you do,

Thank you, Big Mac77

Displaying 20 to 29 of 1,304 posts
7/21/23 @ 2:38 PM
huntfish
User since 6/16/03
Success it was! When I had someone press brake 3 x and than hold. I would open caliper. Brake fluid would come out through the tube, but than work it's way back and than I would close caliper. While I did see air bubbles come out, it wasn't enough. Doing it by myself I kept caliper open, and pumped brakes until brake fluid actually ran into container.  Kept pumping until nothing but clear fluid in each brake line. The one break line that showed no air bubbles first method, was screaming air bubbles the second method. I'm not a mechanic, but mechanically inclined if given the right information. You tube has helped me from fixing dryers, refrigerators, cars, what have you. 
7/21/23 @ 2:31 PM
huntfish
User since 6/16/03
7/21/23 @ 7:49 AM
44/45
PRO MEMBER User since 3/9/11
So it was a success? If still giving you problems, look at a new master cylinder. I had a master cylinder go. The symptoms are you get pedal pressure, and then it slowly sinks towards the floor board.
7/20/23 @ 9:24 PM
huntfish
User since 6/16/03
Well I opened caliper with tube into a drain container and just kept pressing brake back and forth forcing brake fluid out of each line. Did that until no air bubbles on each brake line. Made sure brake fluid level was maintained. Happy to be able to cancel mechanic  appt!
7/19/23 @ 11:24 AM
huntfish
User since 6/16/03
CClund. exactly what I did 2 x. Saw another video instead of pumping brake 3 x and holding, and than releasing caliper bolt,  closing, and repeat  they just pumped brake while keeping caliper bolt open. Then closing once steady stream of brake fluid coming out. Might as well try before appt on Monday.
7/18/23 @ 10:42 PM
CCLUND
User since 5/29/11
Try and bleed it out of the bleeder screw. The bleeder screw is located at the highest point on the caliper. Air goes to the highest point. Since you already opened the back you will have to bleed all 4 calipers. Make sure the master cylinder does not run out of fluid.
7/18/23 @ 5:16 PM
Snake1
Snake1
PRO MEMBER User since 1/22/21
The guys at OReilly may be right. We were doing computer brake line service on Harleys back in about 2008? Things nowadays are made so you can’t do it yourself. Don’t know about your vehicle but do know it’s a safety issue and you better make sure you can do it yourself on ur 2016. Buy an old vehicle if ya want to work on it yourself. The new stuff is made to be plugged in to a computer. Good luck
7/18/23 @ 2:34 PM
huntfish
User since 6/16/03
Bleeding car brake lines....2016 Toyota Corolla. Changed front brake pads. Accidentally removed bolt for brake line fluid. I put it back in quick with some fluid coming out in process and now brakes are very squishy with no brake until almost to the floor. I tried bleeding all four lines, back passenger, left driver, back driver, and than front passenger side. I had someone pump brake 3 x than hold while I loosened brake caliper nut. I did see alot ofair bubbles on right front brake line where I accidentally took out brake fluid bolt. I did this 2 x with no change. Guys at O'Reilly said it may need special computerized bleeder due to abs brakes. I think im going to try bleeder from harbor freight using air tank. I have an appt Monday at a garage if needed.  Any ideas?
6/5/23 @ 2:14 PM
hotbait
PRO MEMBER User since 5/16/16
The sticker on the B pillar is for factory tires. The new tires are probably different and you should go with the poundage of the tire manufacturer. If it was the factory tires, then yes, the center would wear faster. As I age, I can't even spin my wheels!
6/5/23 @ 11:42 AM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17
Original factory tires.
Displaying 20 to 29 of 1,304 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE