Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Vehicle problems--Auto Mechanics Help!

10/27/06 @ 5:07 AM
ORIGNAL POST
big mac
MEMBER since 2/19/02
I looked for a current thread on this subject, but there was none started.

My dilema, I have a 2003 Chevy Silverado pick up, the tach has not worked properly for about 6 months and now the speedometer does not work properly. I called the dealership, and he said I might need a whole new insturment cluster, that sounds costly. My question is this, is this the only way to fix it, and does anybody out there have or had a similar problem, and what did you do,

Thank you, Big Mac77

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 1,138 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
4/30/20 @ 6:15 PM
Phat Walleyes
Phat Walleyes
User since 3/31/15

Could be a loose fuse, old repairs...

Gotta love cars... Lol

Start tracing wiring from the plug....

4/30/20 @ 6:05 PM
Red Rider
User since 6/26/01

The old trailer light issues are getting the best of me this time. Worked when put in storage, naturally nothing worked when removing. Same tow vehicle. Mid day no traffic so headed home. Part way home everything works, then gone again.  Figured its a ground. Trailer ground is clean,tight etc. Redid truck ground wire connection on rear frame of truck(06 gmc yukon). Looked skeptic so filed connector, ground frame, dialectric grease.. 7 prong round receptacle checks out with test light. Round 7 pin to 5 flat not testing  out. aha. go get new plug put in truck hook up. yeah lights, as I walk around second trip checking no lights. W T H. grrrrrrrrrrrr.  Any suggestions where I look next?

4/10/20 @ 8:30 PM
ifishwi
ifishwi
User since 1/12/05

jpwlegend; Winner winner chicken dinner. Back to what I suggested in the first place. Good luck with your wiring. Even with your magnetic lights you'll still need to establish a good ground connection. I would splice into the same ground connection (wire) from your 4flat set-up.

4/10/20 @ 3:12 PM
jpwlegend
User since 12/29/07

OP here; sorry but I've been away from the computer for a few days.  Truck is an older foreign job that I'm sure would not have any easy plug-in type connection.  I think the idea of a separate wire and lights for the brake circuit is the easiest answer.  I have a set of magnetic lights that would be easy to use and not interfere when towing this trailer with a different vehicle.

Tried the jumper wire and it just lit everything up on the truck.

Thanks for all the responses and I'll get something to work.

4/9/20 @ 7:37 PM
CMunyon
User since 5/12/16

If your wiring  harness is not the type that plugs into your trucks harness but is to be spliced in,don't use it.I would spend the extra money and get one that plugs in to the factory harness.Any of the auto parts stores can get you one.

4/9/20 @ 4:07 PM
fish magnet
MEMBER since 12/29/01

https://www.uhaul.com/MovingSupplies/Wiring-Lights/Tow-Vehicle-Wiring/U-Haul-4-Way-Flat/?id=13684

I suggest you solder the wires and use shrink tube instead of those scotch locks, because they get corroded very easily from salt. There are also exact fit plugin light adapters for some specific vehicles, that plug right into the factory harness. They cost a little more, but are way less of a PIA to install and are more reliable where they connect. I would call your local U-Haul and ask for your options for your vehicle.

edit: the link won't work for some reason, you'll have to C&P it.

4/9/20 @ 8:55 AM
ifishwi
ifishwi
User since 1/12/05

Well there you go, I guess they make a gadget for everything. 20 bucks and your labor solves the problem. Bravo, learn something every day.

4/9/20 @ 6:23 AM
CMunyon
User since 5/12/16

I would think that wiring harness you have should plug into the vehicles harness.If you got any decent directions with it they should tell you wear to plug it in.The converter has to be mounted and the power wire run up to the battery and hooked up.

If and when you get that done you have to hook up the ground wire .I would take some time and look the directions over.It's not to hard just takes a little time.

4/9/20 @ 5:56 AM
poptop
User since 10/1/03

Tekonsha 119130 Taillight Converter with 12" Leads and 60" 4-Flat Car End Connector https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005S572FI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_E7VJEbG9RCH0F

4/8/20 @ 6:24 AM
CMunyon
User since 5/12/16

Round 7 pin or 4 flat.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 1,138 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.