LAKES
REPORTS
FORUMS
TRAVEL
DEALS
SEARCH
MORE
General Discussion

Vehicle problems after you leave the shop.

10/24/20 @ 10:28 AM
INITIAL POST
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02
Have a great shop that we go to to get our van fixed. Honest, reliable, professional. Got an oil change and some other work yesterday. Driving home, there’s a leak in the oil hose and the van’s warning messages come out all over. What do you feel is more likely… Was it just a coincidence that this happened? Or, is it more likely something was done in the shop unknowingly that contributed to this happening? The van is old. But certainly something like this has never happened before.  Like I said, it’s a quality shop with good quality people, But, mistakes are always possible anywhere you go in life. As it stands right now, we are on the hook for the price of a new oil hose. And, maybe that’s the way it should be, I’m just asking the question.

I guess the bigger question is… If you had something go wrong on your vehicle right after you left the shop… Do you feel it’s more likely that it’s because the vehicle just got worked on and something got accidentally put out of whack … Or just one of those coincidences in life?

Displaying 1 to 15 of 15 posts
10/25/20 @ 10:11 PM
nihsif
nihsif
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

not sure about your place Pikey,  but towing is usually a sunk cost and usually done by a towing service that bill the garage,  not the car owner 

hard to find a mechanic/shop you trust,  so if you've been happy overall, then I wouldn't shop around,  ask locals,  who they trust... I  did that here and for the last few years have been extremely happy,  plus get treated decently... small shop,  but busy... place I tried before was huge, fancy follow up emails with pictures with arrows and circles ( think Alice's Restaurant,  lol), but they overcharged,  imo, plus claimed something had to be replaced,  not repaired... was BS, new place repaired for pennies on the dollar 

....nice having a guy you can trust 

10/25/20 @ 9:53 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

Thanks CMunyon, that's the hose indeed. Metal now. We were happy to get 275,000 out of it indeed. I do think the shop is being honest and this is just coincidence and not their fault. Just would have appreciated a little pick me up since we've dropped so much money there over the years. But, I get it. 

Wow, River, agree with you. 

10/25/20 @ 6:43 PM
CMunyon
User since 5/12/16

n.pike i know the hose that blew.I have had to put a few on at the shop i work at.I believe it was purley coincidence it let go right after it was just in there.

It was kind of a pi$$ poor design,the new one is metal instead of rubber hose.I'm impressed it went 275,000 miles before it let loose.

10/25/20 @ 6:29 PM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

I know the feeling. When the chips are down a little mercy would be nice.  When I needed a $3000 tranny rebuild he still charged me 250 for towing it 2 miles.   I known the guy for 20 years as a customer and his supplier - always treated me right so I just was happy I could trust the guy. Another 15 years later I still use him for major repairs.

10/25/20 @ 12:58 AM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

Ended up having to pay for towing and the parts / labor. The mechanic that worked on the van came out when we were paying and explained everything. Here's the thing...I think he's correct. He basically said that it's likely when the new oil was put in, that's when the hose probably split due to the excess sediments washed out etc..pressure with the changeover. It was due to go soon-and the oil change pushed it over the edge. Didn't notice it right away, but as I drove and accelerated, that's when the pressure caused it to really explode. 20 miles maybe...

But, it would have been a nice courtesy I think of the shop to pay for the towing. Not because they have to. Not because anything was their fault. But, we've spend thousands there and have had two major repairs there in two days. (Hose and spark plugs/coolent flush/oil change/wipers). Lots of money. The hose was really hard to get in for them. It was a steel hose that is improved over the old rubber ones and the labor took a long time. Just my opinion, but some sort of loyalty thank you might have worked well in this situation....

10/24/20 @ 3:42 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

275,000 mikes. 2011 Sienna

10/24/20 @ 1:36 PM
One shot one kill
User since 8/12/02

Years ago I worked with a guy  . He had his oil changed  , and while driving home the oil plug blew out . Lost all the oil and fried the engine. 

10/24/20 @ 11:45 AM
WelderGuy
WelderGuy
User since 12/19/10

Is the hose that’s leaking anywhere near the filter or oil pan drain plug? Maybe something that was bumped or nicked when they were taking that off? If not maybe just coincidence, hard to say??

10/24/20 @ 11:37 AM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

I’ll ask the right questions and get a full explanation later today when I pick it up. Credit to them-, the towing service was free. 

10/24/20 @ 11:18 AM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

I worked in a repair shop in my teen years and Ive seen enough coincidences to believe that they really are coincidences.  

Did the mechanic make a mistake?  Pretty hard to make a mistake on an oil change . 

10/24/20 @ 10:54 AM
SuspendedMusky
SuspendedMusky
PRO MEMBER User since 12/9/08

I would definitely go back and ask as well.  

I had a similar issue following an oil change and additional work on our Honda Odyssey.  After returning home, there was a pool of oil on the garage floor.  It looked like it was leaking from the oil pan drain plug. I took it back the next day and they checked it out, stating that the oil plug was cross threaded, but it wasn't their fault.  "It was like that before".  No way.  They denied any responsibility and I reminded them they had completed the last 5 oil changes and my van never leaked....so it definitely happened at their place.  After going round and round, they never completely admitted wrong doing. They ended up replacing the oil pan with labor being free, new oil being free, and oil pan at their wholesale price (best I could get them to do).

10/24/20 @ 10:48 AM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

Maybe the hose has a different name. I guess it was a small hole in the hose. And oil just sputtered out everywhere. Big mess. Going to be a $600 plus fix I guess.

10/24/20 @ 10:44 AM
jawjerker
jawjerker
User since 1/14/02

Not sure what an oil hose is. I've seen coolant and power steering hoses

Displaying 1 to 15 of 15 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish located by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE