SEARCH
MORE
General Discussion

Vegetable Garden

6/30/04 @ 1:47 PM
INITIAL POST
Paladin
User since 6/15/01
Who's got one ? what are you growing ? and how's it coming along? Mine consists of sweet corn , cabbage , brussel sprouts, cauliflower, broccoli ,cucumbers, zucchini, peas, tomatoes , peppers , acorn squash, pumpkins, and assorted spices. The cold wet weather hasn't been very conducive to good growth so far for me. But with warmer weather in the forecast things should turn out. I hope those of you growing fair better.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 8,538 posts
TODAY @ 7:02 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11
Got my tomatoes outside for a few hours yesterday to start the hardening process. It sure is difficult to find time to harden plants between 60 hour work weeks. They won't get back outside today but tomorrow and Saturday they will, and I figure if I plant them late on Sunday they should be fine by Monday for a full day. Debating on moving my sweet potatoes outside this weekend too, it's definitely early but without a freeze in the forecast I think they should be okay. Peppers still waiting several more weeks, they're doing great with the indoor heat and fully rebounded from topping. Got a feeling this is going to be a good year for peppers.
I'm going back to growing pole beans and asparagus beans this year. Not for us, I don't find them overly appetizing. But they're a high protein source so I'm going to have a patch designated for some meat chickens that I'll get around the 4th of July and raise till processing end of August. Feed cost is up so much that I think I can really cut back on the cost of raising them by growing high density pole beans.
5/1/24 @ 8:20 PM
Bassmaster+recordracks 2
Bassmaster+recordracks 2
PRO MEMBER User since 7/24/20
Starting some seeds in the pods today. Some Italian beans, a few other pole beans, sweet, sliced cucumber, diva cucumber, and some griller squash. These will be second phase cucumbers. All cucumbers all going probably about June 10 or later so that the cucumber beetle should’ve moved on by that time.
Vegetable Garden photo by Bassmaster+recordracks 2
5/1/24 @ 5:12 PM
Bassmaster+recordracks 2
Bassmaster+recordracks 2
Looks good. 
5/1/24 @ 5:10 PM
44/45
PRO MEMBER User since 3/9/11
Thought that I would add my garlic entry!
Vegetable Garden photo by 44/45
5/1/24 @ 3:13 PM
Kayaker 8
User since 8/28/20
Peas and beets popped up this morning.

Gotta put up rabbit fence today!

5/1/24 @ 11:44 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11
Yeah there's just no way I'm going through and turning hundreds of pumpkins lol. I see pictures on FB of people putting cardboard ​underneath and covering them with towels and things like that. Just not happening. Thinking if I plant them closer to end of May ​or even beginning of June that should be later than last year and still plenty early for October ​harvest. Plus that way I can do a late tilling and kill off some of the ​late blooming weeds.
5/1/24 @ 10:09 AM
Bassmaster+recordracks 2
Bassmaster+recordracks 2
You know I should rephrase it. We did pick a few pumpkins early to keep on the stand in real late summer along with a few squash and gourds. But most of them sat, and then there’d be a sale at the end of the year.
5/1/24 @ 8:04 AM
Bassmaster+recordracks 2
Bassmaster+recordracks 2
Pumpkins, we would leave in the field and just collect them after everything died in October. Not really sure about the baking pumpkins.
5/1/24 @ 8:03 AM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12
Baking pumpkins so we harvest in august.  
5/1/24 @ 7:25 AM
Bassmaster+recordracks 2
Bassmaster+recordracks 2
Yes, sometimes you have to turn them pumpkins. I have that not grown them since I was a young toddler farmer. My grandfather grew exhibition three to four foot round maybe even five there are pictures of me as a toddler and there twice my size.
5/1/24 @ 6:55 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11
BMR now that you mention that I remember you saying that last year. I even ​kept some ​of my parents old window screens to use this year. I'll have ​dig those out this weekend when replanting.

When do you figure those pumpkins will be ready for harvest? I'm still trying to figure out timing on my pumpkin patch. Last year I planted too early and some of the pumpkins turned white on the side facing up, what looked like sun scald.
4/30/24 @ 8:42 PM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12
Wife planted pumpkins too. 15 bakers on 5 hills
4/30/24 @ 6:21 PM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12
Planted a row of yellow beans today.  Its early but I see no cold weather on the horizon so were planting early this year.

4/30/24 @ 12:16 PM
Bassmaster+recordracks 2
Bassmaster+recordracks 2
Junkie I would still try to use some screen door screen to try to stop the car from washing away. I know it’s on a slope, but still, I think it would slow down as long as that screen is far enough past the roll. It’s the only thing I ever found work carrots. Placing a board on them you have to be too quick to pull it off and let it get sunlight and then when it starts raining, they can get washed away so I just keep the screen on for the first month and a half.
4/30/24 @ 7:09 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11
What about No-Mow May?? I use that as a reason to procrastinate on cutting, but my lawn is still no where near needing to be cut. I don't have any asparagus either, other than the one warm week it's really only been in the 50s-60s and 40s at night on average. My parents in GB area have been getting bucket fulls of asparagus for 2 weeks now. Their asparagus patch is my dream someday.
Spinach, kale, lettuce, peas are all starting to pop through in the garden. I have some carrots sprouting, but they are about 2' away from where I planted them. My garden is at a very light slope and with the tsunami we got after planting, they mostly washed away so I'll be replanting those. I'm going to harden off some cherry tomatoes this week and get those in the ground, they seem to be more hardy than other tomato strains and if they don't make it, they grow fast enough I can always replant and not be too far behind.
Displaying 1 to 15 of 8,538 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish located by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE