LOGIN
Lake-Link

Union Trades

8/1/20 @ 8:45 AM
ORIGNAL POST
Plmlk
Brent Hess
MEMBER since 12/18/07

I thought I would post this, there was a discussion regarding union trades on here somewhere, and I can’t seem to find it. 

An 18 year old can start an apprenticeship at $20 p/hr, and in 5-years they will be making $42 p/hr, with a full pension (like the good ole’ days), and another $15 p/hr in benefits i.e. health insurance etc. (see attached screenshot) There is a shortage of HVAC / Plumbers, as few young kids are entering the trades. 

As a teenager, I worked at KFC. In 1988 they offered me an assistant manager position for $9 p/hr (it would have been a huge raise, as I was making 3.35 p/hr at the time) I went home and told my Dad I was taking the manager position, and he told me “no, your not” after a lengthy discussion, he said there was no way in the world he would let me enter into a career in fast food.

He gave me three choices.

1) Join the military 

2) Get a trade apprenticeship

3) Move out of my house while you still know everything 

I wasn’t ready to join the military, and I was broke, and couldn’t afford to move out, so I took option two. 

It was one of the better decisions I have made in life, of course my old man forced my hand.

I have not been unemployed a day in my life since turning 18. 

It doesn’t really matter whether you agree with unions or not, this is one of the better ways a kid can go, and have absolutely zero college debt, great wage, company vehicle, pension, overtime, stable work etc. 

Also, the trades are really hurting, all the good guys are my age, with exceedingly low new young talent. 

I’ve had this conversation with two of my close buddies, and both their boys decided to enter the trades, and it’s working out well for both of them. 

The Woodlands Resort
(262) 661-3968
DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 72 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
8/4/20 @ 10:06 PM
One shot one kill
MEMBER since 8/12/02

When I went to Arrowhead each quart had a different course . Metals  , woodshed , small engines,  and draftsmanshift . That was as a Freshman  . More specialized as you went on . Aluminum casting , basic construction,  and basic automotive. 

8/4/20 @ 5:19 PM
Plmlk
Brent Hess
MEMBER since 12/18/07

Good post SV!

Interestingly, as touched on earlier in this thread, the work is not going anywhere, yet fewer and fewer people are willing to do it. 

The HVAC trade currently pays 42 per hour, but if I’m a betting man, that will be up to 60 per hour in less than 5-7 years. 

Simple supply and demand at work! The work isn’t going anywhere, and there’s no one to do it!

The Woodlands Resort
(262) 661-3968
8/4/20 @ 5:14 PM
svitreum
svitreum
User since 8/29/06

I am a senior Automation Technician employed by a Light Industrial Plant in Racine, living in Burlington. We are getting pretty desperate for skilled Automation Techs and have not hired one in more than 3 years. They just don't exist I fathom. The pay and Bennies here are really good, along with 3 weeks vacation almost immediately. There are free classes you can take to further your career, and 75% tuition reimbursement for schooling up to a Bachelor's degree (has to pertain to your field). People from the Electro-Mechanic or Industrial Electrician trades would be an excellent fit. Notably, those with PLC and Robotic experience would be perfect. Everyone they interview is just not qualified enough. I imagine we are not the only company experiencing this. An ever-expanding need for these talents in an ever-shrinking pool of available qualified Techs. One bright spot is a 19 yo intern who came to us from high school with classes taken in PC, PLC and Robotics programming. He's on the fast track and should pass me in skill set before I retire. I am training him and would love to get a few more like him. As has been stated already, college is not for everyone.

8/4/20 @ 3:35 PM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12

I agree Brent. There’s decent money in the Trades once ya get some Longevity. Good benefits, the whole nine yards.

8/4/20 @ 7:31 AM
44/45
MEMBER since 3/9/11

Years ago, schools were pressured by the parents to eliminate tech classes in high school. Everyone wanted their child to go to college and get that degree. If you went to high school in New Berlin, you were a victim of this. However, these same know it all parents did not know that all students were not going to be successful in college.                                  I worked co-op in high school and made centrifical clutches for caterpillar on a turret lathe. It was a hands on stepping stone that was available at the high school level. Many worked in graphics and auto mechanics.                                          Just a handful of years ago I read where Hartland Arrowhead had figured this out and actually reinstalled a welding shop realizing college isn’t for everyone. Right now, if you can weld, you are probably working! If you are unemployed and can weld, you can find a job! Sorry for the vent

8/4/20 @ 7:09 AM
Skunky
Skunky
User since 3/15/14

Brent, good thread. I knew there would be some - comments but nice to see most are +. 

All trades are hurting for new an upcoming workers. unfortunatley my youngest will not be one of them. He is off to college next month.

8/4/20 @ 7:07 AM
44/45
MEMBER since 3/9/11

I do not believe that there are any union contracts paying 60.00 per hour!

8/4/20 @ 6:32 AM
Plmlk
Brent Hess
MEMBER since 12/18/07

Zombie-

They are not all the same, if you notice I was advocating for the trades, not Chrysler...

I did not start this thread for any other purpose but to encourage some young folks to give the trades a look, we are hurting for young talent. 

And they can have a great career and livelihood in the trades, and the work isn’t going anywhere. 

Also I would add, we don’t sell services overseas, have not been bailed out by big brother, and are privately funded...

The Woodlands Resort
(262) 661-3968
8/4/20 @ 5:30 AM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12

I always thought it was an extreme waste of taxpayer dollars when a State road job was paying union workers over $60.00 an hour, because it was a state job. That’s my taxes!!! 

8/3/20 @ 8:15 PM
zombi
User since 8/28/09
DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 72 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.