SEARCH
MORE
General Discussion

TV antenna

1/8/18 @ 7:46 PM
INITIAL POST
Brown haired monarch
User since 1/8/18

I have a cabin in northern Price county along the Ashland county border. I am looking for ideas  and suggestions  for a TV antenna to add to my TV at the cabin . Thanks 

Displaying 1 to 15 of 49 posts
10/20/20 @ 11:03 AM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01

Lol.  I made it using spare parts from around the house.  The board got a little rustic looking cause I tried using the antenna outdoors for a while, but it actually didn't work any better being outside than it did in the house.  There are a ton of Youtube videos on how to make these, and all of them have worked better than the store bought ones for me, even the ones that have amplifiers.

10/20/20 @ 10:03 AM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

Put that on the Trading Post.  If you use the word "vintage" youll get a $200 premium. 

10/20/20 @ 9:10 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

Paint up that 2x6 to make it look nice and you could sell them as a combo antenna/decoration.  Maybe a nice woods scene where the wire looks like tree branches haha.

10/20/20 @ 8:39 AM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01

I like to look on the internet about different ways to make an HDTV antenna.  I have made them from just the coaxial cable itself, a paper clip, a cd case with some large binder clips, and these two, pictured.  Coat hangers and a 2X6 has worked really well and last night I tried the other one pictured using two soda cans, a coat hanger and that 75 ohm transformer which costs about a buck and a half at a local hardware store.  I am quite pleased with how many channels I get with the soda can antenna.  I live about 20 miles from the nearest tv station and I get all of the channels - Fox, CBS, ABC, NBC, and PBS.  The coat hanger with a 2X6 I've even picked up stations about 50 miles away occasionally on a clear night.  I have a couple of store bought antennas and these work way better and cost way less to make.  If you're not too far away from the tv stations, give these a try.  How to make them is on Youtube.

12/12/18 @ 8:49 AM
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

Okay I understand now

You should at least try putting an inline preamp on the antenna line they're usually cheap about $20

That might help your reception up north

HDTV-Antenna-Amplifier-Signal-Booste

12/12/18 @ 8:41 AM
One shot one kill
User since 8/12/02

We have digital tvs at home . This is for up north . Just hate to throw away something that works .

12/12/18 @ 8:31 AM
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
BâssÂddîçt ©¸

sharp-32-class-led-720p-hdtv

Today we transmit everything over a digital signal

The digital signal comes to your house to your antenna then switchs through a box to go back to analog into your tube TV which has a definition about 480 pixels

the distortion you might be seeing just might be because of the conversion of digital back down to analog

Borrow a digital TV from someone and check it out

My dad went from a 20in tube TV  to a 32 inch LED 720

And loves it he just watches local TV it cannot believe how clear it looks now

Those old tube TVs use whole bunch of electricity so you should see a  drop in your electrical bill

12/10/18 @ 10:17 PM
One shot one kill
User since 8/12/02

Still haven't decided.  Better reception vs larger screen tvs that work fine . 

Mostly the antenna  , there Is a lot of movement with wind .

12/10/18 @ 8:52 PM
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
BâssÂddîçt ©¸

One shot one kill  ..hows the new TV?

11/23/18 @ 3:49 PM
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
BâssÂddîçt ©¸

Ice satellite providers have to use compression software to transmit their signal

It causes a little bit of Loss in the resolution

The over-the-air antenna is totally clean no compression

Picture and sound quality are improved over satellite, some of the sound formats are not supported on satellite

11/23/18 @ 3:16 PM
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
BâssÂddîçt ©¸

First you have an old TV with an analog tuner and you added a digital signal converter

So it's a 480 digital signal  back to analog picture

The new TV will have a built-in digital tuner for 480 720 and 1080

Just moving up to the new HDTV you should see some great improvement and most major networks are 720 or 1080

Since the  HDTVs have gone down greatly they're quite affordable

11/23/18 @ 2:58 PM
One shot one kill
User since 8/12/02

We have older tv s with the boxes .  Wife said let's get a HDTV and it will get better reception . Yes , no ? 

6/23/18 @ 10:23 AM
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
6/23/18 @ 10:07 AM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

Never heard of or experienced cloud cover and rain interfering with tv reception on a traditional antenna. Mine is in the attic laying on its side and it works fine by me and I am 50 miles from the nearest TV station. My son probably hooked up an in line amp to make it work.   Like BA said make sure its pointed correctly.

Is it possible you need to upgrade to a digital antenna?

6/23/18 @ 9:28 AM
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
BâssÂddîçt ©¸

if you add your address it will be more accurate  

pointing the old ant in the correct position will help

and a amp also

www.antennaweb.org/Address

DTV Reception Maps

Displaying 1 to 15 of 49 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE