LOGIN
Lake-Link

Treasure Hunting

11/12/17 @ 6:08 PM
ORIGNAL POST
Plmlk
Brent Hess
MEMBER since 12/18/07

They are drawing down the Fox River after the Waterford Dam, and the water levels are quite low.

I put on my mudders and went for a walk up and down the shoreline, as well as about 1 foot in the water.  I found lots of old bottles, but two super cool ones!

The first bottle reads "Finke - Uhen Brewing Company Burlington Wis." From what I could find on-line the brewery opened in 1865, so I would assume the bottle is around 150 years old.  Coincidently, I was raised in Burlington, so certainly a pretty cool find. Interestingly, I found a similar bottle in 2014 when they drew the river down the last time. 

The second bottle reads "John Graf Milwaukee Wis." From what I could find on-line John Graf opened up his Milwaukee Brewery in 1883.  The bottle has a hexagon type bottom, and a slight green hue to it.  I've never seen anything quite like it.  Also, really interesting is the original top was pushed into the bottle, so that is in tact as well.

It's fun to wonder about the last hands that touched both bottles.  Might have to do some more treasure hunting. 

The Woodlands Resort
(262) 661-3968
DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 61 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
5/9/18 @ 6:26 PM
BassWhacker
BassWhacker
User since 9/4/17

My family was part owners of the finke-uhen brewery way back when (my mother's side). Very cool find! My mom and her sisters all collect those bottles.

5/9/18 @ 6:19 PM
Carpio
MEMBER since 11/5/17

Plmlk.     It’s the island on the east side of Tichigan off of Beach Drive. 30 yrs ago there was a sign on the island proclaiming it so. It was/ is ? Owned by a Serbian? By the name of Bruno,very nice man. I used to keep watch of the property for him.  It’s up for sale now if you are interested!  A real deal for a landfill for around $ 425,000.00 from what I here. Don’t quote me CARPIO.      ( hear)

5/8/18 @ 9:18 PM
Plmlk
Brent Hess
MEMBER since 12/18/07

Columbia island Carpio?  You’ll have to school me on that!

The Woodlands Resort
(262) 661-3968
5/8/18 @ 9:11 PM
Carpio
MEMBER since 11/5/17

Plmlk.   I’ve found several old bottles along the shore after violent storms around COLUMBIA island. Did you know that it was a dump/ landfill before the dam was put in?  CARPIO 

5/8/18 @ 9:02 PM
Plmlk
Brent Hess
MEMBER since 12/18/07

Super cool!  I found a similar bottle after the Waterford Dam - from the same era!  Also had the stopper inside.  

The Woodlands Resort
(262) 661-3968
5/8/18 @ 5:50 PM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

Has hexagon shape and still has the rubber stop, thats an awesome find M8r

5/7/18 @ 6:32 PM
migr8r
migr8r
User since 2/8/11

I live on the Fox River upriver of Tichigan. Went fishin tonight and found this old John Graf bottle in nearly perfect condition. Still had the rubber stopper in it. Apparently from before 1914 from what I saw. Found another one a few years ago from the Milwaukee Brewing Co. Kinda neat finding old local bottles. 

1/29/18 @ 5:44 PM
Dave (Golden)
Dave (Golden)
MEMBER since 6/22/01

Body found in Arkansas River in June identified as Colorado treasure hunter

Colorado Treasure Hunter

1/24/18 @ 11:15 AM
Short Fat Bald Sexy Guy
Short Fat Bald Sexy Guy
User since 6/27/08

If anybody wants to do some big time treasure hunting then go to the Rocky Mountains and hunt for the Forrest Fenn treasure.  I'm having thoughts of giving it a shot myself.

Here's some background on it.

http://dalneitzel.com/

1/19/18 @ 10:37 PM
Fishscales
User since 3/2/03

Yes i bought a magnet from harbor freight and used it a few times. Didn't find much. some small hooks and bottle caps. I follow Aguachigger also. Does a lot of neat stuff. Now i'am more into metal detecting. I got a Garrett AT pro and love it. Took some time to figure it all out and get use to it. Towards the end of the year i bought a Garrett Carrot. ( pinpointer) Helps locate the treasures faster. Can't wait for the snow to melt and the ground to soften up so i can go out again.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 61 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.