LOGIN
Lake-Link

Things they should teach in school

7/19/16 @ 3:03 PM
ORIGNAL POST
fishingmaster1997
fishingmaster1997
User since 4/18/12

I thought this could be fun and interesting thread. 

What are things that you struggle with or have struggled with that you wish they taught in school.

I wish they taught how to open an envelope. As simple as it may seem I can't for life of me open an envelope from the mail box without tearing the thing to shreds.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 28 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
7/21/16 @ 5:45 AM
boattech
User since 12/22/04

I work for a company that works with GPS Education Partners.  It is a program for high school juniors and seniors that want to go into trades or students that don't like the high school life.  We have been doing this for 6 years now and I am in my 3rd year as one of the mentors for the students.   I can tell you it has been a great experience and we have even hired someone of the kids on full time after graduation.   

7/20/16 @ 9:43 PM
paddler1
paddler1
User since 12/10/14

Wicasa,

Man, you hit it right on the head! Home should be where all learning begins, but sadly that isn't the case in many homes these days. And not just in families that are struggling. Quite the contrary.

From what I've seen, some of the most affluent, are the ones most lacking.

Sad, but true. Teachers truly have their work cut out for them. 

7/20/16 @ 9:30 PM
Dave (Golden)
Dave (Golden)
MEMBER since 6/22/01

I went to Technical Highschool with the full intentions of pursuing an Electrical Apprenticeship. When I graduated I was offered an Apprenticeship and a day later was offered a job working for a very solid company that promised to put me through MSOE as an Electrical Engineer. They held up the part of the deal and also paid for my Masters in Engineering Management at Marquette as well. 38 years later I still work happily for that Company. As it stands I could retire at any point I wish, but I still enjoy my job.

Had I not attended a Tech & Trade HS, I believe I would have a very different life today.

7/20/16 @ 9:18 PM
Wicasa
Wicasa
User since 11/11/15

You know, I'm not in disagreement.  I'll just say that if some of those "things" were taught, expected and reinforced at home, then the "traditional" and "regular" teaching and learning would be much easier.

Edit - Of course, I'm not speaking about you and your kid.  I'm speaking about that distracting little schiezt sitting next to him and his dill weed parents.

5/4/19 @ 5:56 AM
paddler1
paddler1
User since 12/10/14

Fishing Master and Robollio,

High schools should definetly push the trades to kids that are on the fence about college. I too, tried college for a year(UWSP) and found it wasn't for me. 

I was fortunate enough to have a cousin who was a union carpenter and got me a job with the Laborers Union. Had I stayed in that union I could have retired at age 50 with a full pension. 

I joined the Carpenter Union and am now 2 years into my retirement pension from that union. In September I'll turn 59. My local had 30 yrs of service/55yrs of age/ full pension. 

When young and dumb, all I really looked at was the wage, but now, I am VERY GLAD I CHOSE TO JOIN A UNION.

Good luck in your careers. Hard work, but in the end, the benefits are pretty sweet! 

7/20/16 @ 9:06 PM
fishingmaster1997
fishingmaster1997
User since 4/18/12

That's awesome robbolio. I'm hoping to get into structural steel welding. Possibly oil rig welding. 

Where did you take classes? And did you go with the 1 year certification or the 2 year associates program?

I'm doing the 1 year certification at MATC in west allis. Then I'm going to contact the iron workers union 

7/20/16 @ 8:51 PM
paddler1
paddler1
User since 12/10/14
Respect. Responsibility. Reliability.

7/20/16 @ 8:15 PM
Robbollio
Robbollio
User since 10/17/04

Fishingmaster! Im doing the same exact thing now. But might be moving so we will see what happens. Just waiting for the steamfitter union to call for a job. Ive applied everywhere. That being said. Most people cant fill out a simple app. It is ridiculous. For a minumum wage job....

7/20/16 @ 12:12 PM
Ed Franko
User since 5/6/15

Amen Arlo..... teach them the life skills necessary to do things in life.... Teach them to hunt and to fish.  Teach them that money doesn't grow on trees...Teach them that there is more to life than cell phones and computers.   

Big Ed’s Guide Service
(573) 692-6710
7/20/16 @ 12:12 PM
fishingmaster1997
fishingmaster1997
User since 4/18/12

I agree 100% with all that. My high school made it seem like a 4 year university was the only option for success. They even tried to talk my friend out of enlisting with the marines.

I spent 1 semester at UW Stevens Point and it wasn't for me.

Now I'm learning welding from a community college and I'm on the path to make a good amount depending on the path I take once I'm done with my education.

I wish my highschool had given me the opportunity to try different blue collar trades. Because I absolutely love welding and it's a great fit for me.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 28 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.