MORE
General Discussion

The up north thread

8/26/16 @ 12:47 AM
INITIAL POST
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02
Tidbits and News related to northern Wisconsin. 
Displaying 91 to 105 of 5,316 posts
3/3/24 @ 8:32 PM
SuspendedMusky
SuspendedMusky
PRO MEMBER User since 12/9/08
No.  This was a friend I've known for 35 years.  I wanted to show him some of the "up north" scenery he never gets to see.  We put on just under 6 miles today and the elevation changes were incredible.  While out on the hike I was explaining some of the ancient 100+ year old conifer stumps that are still present in various areas.  I pointed out a few that were in the 40-45+ inch class (DBH-diameter breast height).  

What I really wanted to take him to see was what I call the "Sentinel of the Northern Highland State Forest"; an estimated 5.5 ft DBH monster that was bigger than the General MacArthur White Pine, but did not have time.
The up north thread photo by SuspendedMusky
3/3/24 @ 8:21 PM
Polski
Polski
PRO MEMBER User since 5/11/03
Nice Bass SM, glad it paid off for you going one more day. By the way, was that "friend" you took exploring in the woods named Jacques??
3/3/24 @ 8:05 PM
Bassmaster+recordracks 2
Bassmaster+recordracks 2
PRO MEMBER User since 7/24/20
Really? No field hunting ?
3/3/24 @ 7:50 PM
SuspendedMusky
SuspendedMusky
PRO MEMBER User since 12/9/08
Following the 2024 up-north ice fishing gathering, I headed out early today and picked up one of my friends and set up to do a couple hours of pike fishing before heading home.  We didn't catch any pike, but did catch 4 nice largemouth bass on our pike setups (16 to 19 inchers).  All released.

After that I took him on a hike through some of the most awesome rolling topography up north, where the glacier recession deposited a tremendous quantity of large boulders and rocks.  Just beautiful scenery.
2/28/24 @ 8:12 PM
Derelict2
User since 8/12/05
@utahman - I have absolutely been considering a trip to the Nam this weekend! Waders and all. I'm a redhorse fanatic.

Our lake had thirty to forty percent open water today, so its 100% out of the question.
2/28/24 @ 5:49 PM
utahman
User since 3/9/03
D2 you can always go to the Namekagon for the redhorse run. Yesterday we had to get out on planks on Siss. Drove by Sand Lake landing its also water but you can probably get on down the shore. Been losing ice both on Siss and my private lake it was down to three or four inches.Catching the heck out of northerns. After last night and todays freeze Im going out on the private lake till my bait runs out. No sign of shore thaw there. ​Sawyer Washburn county line.Nammy next on the list if I can find crawlers.
2/26/24 @ 11:11 AM
Derelict2
User since 8/12/05
I was in Oneida and Vilas Counties the last four days. ​Both lakes we were on had six to eight inches of good ice.

Back home to Washburn County yesterday afternoon and I was unable to go out on my lake and put in tip ups! Must be our south west exposure at shore or something. I was able to get past some garbage shore ice, and everything under me was cracking, did a test drill and it was three inches of soft butter. I know we have some super cold nights this week, but its also going to be sixty this weekend. I think my home lake ice season is over, maybe hit a river this weekend??
2/13/24 @ 1:05 PM
Zmaniac
Zmaniac
PRO MEMBER User since 2/8/06
NP…Are you using a fisherman’s tape measure or just a regular one?  I know how one type tends to exaggerate   
2/13/24 @ 12:59 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02
I guess I can’t speak for other lakes. The lakes we fished recently both had 11 inches every hole 
 drilled. So I am surprised to hear about lakes with so much less ice.. But, I guess if that’s what people are measuring, that’s what they’re measuring.
2/13/24 @ 12:36 PM
2/13/24 @ 6:32 AM
Snake1
Snake1
PRO MEMBER User since 1/22/21
200 acre lake, Oneida County. 6”. 
2/12/24 @ 8:54 PM
Derelict2
User since 8/12/05
I do agree that ice conditions are great in terms of dragging/mobility, but I am not seeing the 7" to 8" inches I keep reading about in other Northern parts of the state. Here in Washburn County we are on a 300 acre lake and 90% of the holes I drilled this weekend were between four and four and a half inches. Some holes you could call five inches. Certainly not taking the UTV out right now, but again,dragging equipment is effortless. Hoping we can bolster that to ten inches or more for the final three weekends. With ​no snow cover and cold nights I do believe it's possible.
2/12/24 @ 8:23 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02
As far as I have experienced, ice conditions are great right now.
Just weird that we haven’t had any significant rains or snows since probably early December or even late November. What a dry spell!
2/12/24 @ 7:27 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
PRO MEMBER User since 12/18/07
JJ,

Will likely come up on Feb 27. 

We'll have to stay in touch. 

2/12/24 @ 7:07 PM
clueless
User since 10/24/04
Shores are fine. 
Displaying 91 to 105 of 5,316 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE