MORE
General Discussion

The up north thread

8/26/16 @ 12:47 AM
INITIAL POST
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02
Tidbits and News related to northern Wisconsin. 
Displaying 105 to 119 of 5,316 posts
2/12/24 @ 7:07 PM
clueless
User since 10/24/04
Shores are fine. 
2/12/24 @ 6:26 PM
mskyadk
PRO MEMBER User since 11/11/01
Of what I saw on broken bow 139of water 8-9" should have problems other than. Put you creepers on.
2/12/24 @ 6:11 PM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12
How are the south facing shore lines? Walkable? Slushy?  Bringing the grandkddies up in a few days to fish but they wont appeciate walking thru severall inches of slush over the top of their boots. 
2/12/24 @ 12:32 PM
Esox JJ
PRO MEMBER User since 6/4/05
The men's snowmobile outing that I host is still on for February 23rd weekend snow or no snow. Some have backed out but as of now there will be four of us up there. Possibly six. We will be patronizing some of the same places we would be riding to if there was snow. 
Brent I think I read that you were coming up early for the LL ice fishing weekend. Let me know maybe we could get together before I have to come back to the flat land. I have to be back before Thursday the 29th. Sure wish I could stay for the ice fishing.
Thanks, JJ
2/11/24 @ 11:40 PM
Snake1
Snake1
PRO MEMBER User since 1/22/21
It does screw up the bottom line of many businesses. It runs in cycles. Strong business stays alive.. We are in an Elective gov! 
2/11/24 @ 9:15 PM
samfox
User since 3/17/09
H&H,  we had 9 years of buck only in Vilas, no big increase in doe by us.
2/11/24 @ 8:49 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02
Went to the 19th hole in St. Germain. Just a few of us there tonight. Drove to Camps afterwards to pick up a few groceries, I was the only one in the store. Not sure I even saw a car on the road  On my way home tonight. Crazily quiet up here. So different than most years. 
2/8/24 @ 8:40 PM
Steelhead88
User since 4/13/22
North to check deer camp today 1st time since late November . Several sets of fresh deer tracks west end of property. Usually deer long gone to yarding area by this time of year - good to see easy winter & nature giving deer a break on winter stress & wolves not having easy pickens when they are at their best in deep snow . Checked out some snowmobile prices on the way home , pricey but coming down . Shop owner said one rider had 900 miles & that’s a lot this winter . Odd to see all the sleds sitting idle at the several rental shops midwinter     
The up north thread photo by Steelhead88
2/7/24 @ 3:26 PM
utahman
User since 3/9/03
I dont see any deterioration of the ice. The water on top will freeze this weekend making more  strong clear ice. When you start to see the shorelines go thats when you worry.I got twelve inches on Siss and eight on a private lake. The sun is what destroys the ice and that is not happening.Sawyer county.We are going to get a lot of really cold nights after tomorrow. As far as the antlerless hunts, IMO after the crappy weather last year, too much snow, and this year not enough, I dont think the harvest was very good either year. With this mild winter we are going to see a lot of survival of yearlings, and prolific production of fawns.
2/7/24 @ 6:22 AM
blackwater
User since 5/7/13
I live in the u p. just north of Wisconsin, still taking sled out on the lakes here and with colder weather coming and no snow we should have great ice. Nice to have a year where your not fighting snow and slush. It would not bother me if they stop shooting does, think that's a great idea,  just don't tell the insurance company's 
2/6/24 @ 3:46 PM
Derelict2
User since 8/12/05
Well, you think the ice will hold and be fishable this weekend? I'm in Washburn County, we had about seven inches when I walked off the lake on Sunday. Now looks like we are above freezing, plus some rain, until Friday/Saturday early am.

We've got four weekends of ice season/game fish left during the time I'll be living up here, really hoping I can fish every one of em yet. Worst case I am hoping that if too much damage is done this week, at least the repair can begin this weekend and we'll have a return to fishable ice the last three weekends. That however is also dependent on a return to fairly seasonable north woods weather!

I would not be opposed to a temporary suspension of ​targeting Doe's for a few seasons.
1/30/24 @ 10:14 AM
Hunter&Hound
User since 7/24/01
Would Banning Doe Harvests Save Northwoods Deer Hunting?

It's worth a try.  
1/30/24 @ 9:30 AM
deskjockey
User since 1/23/10
Would Banning Doe Harvests Save Northwoods Deer Hunting? | Outdoor Life
1/28/24 @ 5:29 PM
Snake1
Snake1
PRO MEMBER User since 1/22/21
That’s funny KTowne even if it were true! Lol
1/28/24 @ 5:22 PM
ktowne
ktowne
PRO MEMBER User since 7/20/03
Snake, I think the guy has a contract with Rice A Roni. 
Displaying 105 to 119 of 5,316 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE