MORE
General Discussion

The surgery thead

9/9/21 @ 10:02 PM
INITIAL POST
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

Any topics related to surgery, whether pre, post, or just general questions… This is the thread!

Displaying 1 to 15 of 266 posts
3/1/24 @ 8:27 PM
ere
User since 2/22/07
You bet, knee issue aside, today I had my first CT of my chest and abdomen in 6 months. Still clear, no cancer seen. Clear for another 6 months.
3/1/24 @ 2:24 PM
Mirroman
Mirroman
User since 3/29/22
Thanks ere.
Definitely gotta keep it moving.  Upper body strengthening also.

On a side note...Anyone else have trouble when you subscribe to a thread for notifications? I'm getting nothing. I subscribe to others and same thing, no notifications.
2/29/24 @ 9:50 PM
ere
User since 2/22/07
Mirro, I had my left knee done on 12/11. I actually called the surgery center a couple days post op for the same thigh pain. They told me the same thing. Mine went away after a couple weeks. I had great range of motion early on and still do. The last couple weeks I've hit a stall. Very stiff in the morning and after exercise. But, I'm finding that not moving around is worse. It seems that more activity has actually helped. Keep up with your therapy, you'll turn the corner soon I'm sure.
2/28/24 @ 8:50 PM
madforlabs
User since 12/20/12
2/28/24 @ 8:31 PM
Mirroman
Mirroman
User since 3/29/22
Wow apbtrain,  I couldn't imagine having them done that close together.
I do need my other knee done eventually.
2/28/24 @ 8:23 PM
Mirroman
Mirroman
User since 3/29/22
As much as they're worried about blood clots, they didn't mention it about my thigh. They seem to be concerned about my lower legs. I had to wear compression stockings and take baby aspirin for awhile,

My knee feels great. Its just this stiffness and limited range of motion. And now that 6 weeks have gone by, and my inability to bend and stretch the muscles early on (because of the swelling) has left me with the scar tissue that they will have to manipulate in the operating room,

And I think it's all because of someone's incompetence applying the tourniquet to my upper thigh.
I'm not gonna lie, the added cost now pisses me off. I don't have the best insurance and now I think I'm going to be off work longer than my short term disability lasts.  My goal was to be in the boat by April 1st. Not gonna happen now.

I wish I could post the pictures but the bruising is very close to my junk and nobody wants to see that.   

2/28/24 @ 8:20 PM
apbtrain
User since 11/11/07
Mirroman, I had my right knee replaced Nov 2022 and my left one Feb 2023.  I had tourniquet pain after both surgeries for well over a month.  I wondered if it would ever go away, but it did. I still feel strain and popping on both knees still. I had x-rays and saw the surgeon in December and was told all was normal.  If you don't think things are right, keep asking questions of your Dr.  ​
2/28/24 @ 7:23 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02
Wow Mirrorman- that’s really tough stuff. When I first read it, I thought you might’ve had a blood clot. But, if it was instantaneous like that, probably not…hopefully not a blood clot!  That is very strange. Never had a knee replacement myself, but I know they are not easy to recover from, but most are very happy when they’re all through with it and glad they went ahead and did it.
Prayers for answers and ongoing recovery. Stick with it! It’ll get better.
2/28/24 @ 7:08 PM
Mirroman
Mirroman
User since 3/29/22
I think you guys are right about the six months to a year. People I work with and friends who've had knees done say the same thing.

I don't know what determines what the doctors recommend. I heard some people get the ice machines. My Doctor recommended the CPM for me. Which ​seems to work but ​I've still got scar tissue built up because, I think, because of all the swelling that ​I've had.
Therapist has been breaking up scar tissue but not enough apparently. That's why they're recommending the manipulation.

I'm really wondering if anybody's had issues with this ​tourniquet  and the bruising and swelling.
2/28/24 @ 6:04 PM
bobber b down
User since 1/31/04
Mirroman, Had right knee replacement early November. Friend lent me an ice machine. Basically, a cooler that you add ice and water, pump circulates cold fluid to a knee brace that cools entire knee. Used it day two and after every PT session, home exercises , sometimes twice a day. PT wasn't fun, therapist broke scare tissue just about every time ( maybe wife had something to do with this)? Anyway it's a journey, I was able to get back to work after 8 weeks ( not a desk job) still experiencing swelling.I think the 6 months to a year thing is real! Knee is arthritis free and can tell it's strong ! Just gonna take some time! Best of luck ! Hang in there!
2/28/24 @ 2:24 PM
gobbler
PRO MEMBER User since 6/30/01
Never had a knee replacement but everyone I know sounds like it take 6 months till they really feel they have turned the corner and a year to get back pretty close to ​100%.
2/28/24 @ 1:33 PM
Mirroman
Mirroman
User since 3/29/22
Glad to see everyone has been enjoying good health!
No posts since October, 2023.    

Well, I started out the new year with a total knee replacement.  6 weeks ago today.

Here's the story:
For those that don't know, they get you up and walking the same day of surgery.  For me it was to the restroom and back to bed. But, I was walking the halls (with a walker) before I left the next day.

From the time I woke up I had a Charlie Horse pain in my thigh, mainly in my quad muscle. It was so tight like it was in knots.
They told me it must have been the tourniquet they use to stop blood flow to the leg  being too tight. I ended up with considerable bruising in my thigh all the way to my crotch area. Thankfully I have pictures because the bruising is gone now. One of the P.A.'s took photos of my thigh that was solid as a rock. He had no answers as to why it was so tight.

So, the charlie horse pain lasted almost 4 weeks and the subsequent swelling in my knee has just started going down.  Meanwhile, all through my therapy my knee hasn't been able to bend as far as it should be by now mainly because of the swelling.

So, 6 weeks later they suggest I go back under anesthesia (like a surgery procedure) and they will manipulate my knee. They will forcefully bend it to break up the scar tissue.

No one will give me a straight answer as to whether it was the tourniquet that caused the long term problems or if was on my end?  I have been religiously doing my exercises at home until the pain is too much.

I'm wondering if anyone else has ever had this kind of problem after knee replacement?

Thanks for reading this long story.

10/22/23 @ 7:24 AM
hotbait
PRO MEMBER User since 5/16/16
Grandad, keep the faith. It will get better. Snake, very good response. 
10/21/23 @ 9:50 PM
chitowncrappieman
chitowncrappieman
PRO MEMBER User since 3/4/06
Best wishes to you Gran dad. 
10/21/23 @ 8:22 PM
ere
User since 2/22/07
Hang in there grandad, wishing you a speedy recovery. 
Displaying 1 to 15 of 266 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE