Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

The Phone Toss

6/28/20 @ 3:30 PM
ORIGNAL POST
chaw
User since 9/11/02

I went on the Fox Chain today. I was trolling in heavy boat traffic and hooked up with a large fish. I thought maybe I had snagged a giant carp because it didn't fight like a musky. the fish was making long runs like a tuna. I was bobbing straight up and down in the heavy chop fighting the fish when a wake boat came straight at me full speed. A blonde woman was pointing at me showing her son I was fighting a fish. her wake caused me to go down hard in the boat, still holding the reel. I got up and the fish was still on. I slipped the net under and measured her just over 48 inches and fat. This fish was very pale, almost whitish. I tossed her back into the net to giver her a breather. I picked up my phone to take a photo of her in the net and on the release. The problem is I tossed my phone when I went to grab it. The phone landed in the net next to the musky. Both phone and musky were underwater in the net. Then I did the dumbest thing and panicked. In order to get my phone out of the water I lifted straight up on the net. The musky rolled out and I went to grab the musky and hit the net in the process. The net acted as a lacrosse tool and flung my phone at least 30 feet. It went in slow motion over my head and into the lake. The musky was gone and so was the phone. I was lucky to save the net. This entire episode lasted mere minutes but man what a day. I'm in a little hot water for the phone but there remains the hint of a smile on my face.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 44 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
7/2/20 @ 5:09 PM
Wicasa
Wicasa
User since 11/11/15

LOL When I was just a young buck, my dad did the exact same thing with a basket full of crappies. 

7/2/20 @ 4:49 PM
CrystalLakeMonster
CrystalLakeMonster
User since 11/22/10

A few years ago me and 2 friends were nailing nice bluegills one day.  Neither of these guys really fish and were excited to bring home a couple bags of fish.  Wasn't long before we had a stringer full of them, but when I went down to put on another fish, the stringer was gone.  They were giving me all kinds of crap for letting that happen, but I knew I was to blame.  About an hour later one of the guys hooks into something and starts dragging it in.  Here it was my stringer with about 30 nice bluegills on it!!!  They left very happy.

6/30/20 @ 10:47 PM
Phat Walleyes
Phat Walleyes
User since 3/31/15

Awesome save SM...

So sad about your Uncle Nihsif...

6/30/20 @ 9:52 PM
SuspendedMusky
SuspendedMusky
User since 12/9/08

1998....I had just purchased a new Beckman musky net and had it on its maiden mission.  I caught a nice 45.5" fish, bagged it, and "locked" the net bag on a front cleat and had the extended handle under the opposite side gunwale.  After I was done taking several remote 35 mm photos of the fish I went to release the musky. In doing so, I bumped the net handle which somehow "unlocked" the net from the cleat and it cantilevered over the side. While I made sure the fish was righted and balanced, the net began to sink.  In the few seconds it took the fish to begin kicking away, the entire net disappeared and I could barely see the shiny net handle below the surfaces as it was going to the bottom.  I quickly grabbed a 7 1/2 ft rod and jammed it in the water up to the reel seat and caught the bag on the rod tip....saving my new purchase.

6/30/20 @ 9:09 PM
ifishwi
ifishwi
User since 1/12/05

Lost few live bags of fish. Wife and I out doing real well on crappies and bluegills. Maybe 20 in the bag. Bag was constructed with a thumbscrew to attach to transom or anything kinda flat. Bag snapped off the mount and down she went, not recovered.

Had a dozen panfish in a live bag hanging off the back of the boat on the dock. All alive so they'll be OK overnight and I'll clean them up in the morning. I go down and bag is empty. WTF? I see no sign of anything, just empty bag. Check equipment, all OK. Thought muskrat pushed open the trap door on the bottom eating until they all got out. No big deal, catch some more. Next night same thing. Hit me once shame on you. Hit me twice shame on me. Didn't let that happen again.

Years ago on Pewaukee I saw a boat motoring pretty fast with a stringer of fish flying behind the boat. Guy musta forgot to pull them in before taking off and didn't notice. I tried signaling to him any way I could but he shook his head and kept going. Pretty funny.

6/30/20 @ 8:44 PM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01

my uncle drowned in Tichigan when his fish basket let loose and he fell in trying to get it... sad lesson our family learned 

6/30/20 @ 8:22 PM
jaybeeturtle
User since 3/17/06

Just to add a little extra to the thread, how many have lost stringers of fish? I lost a limit of walleye once to a snapping turtle who chewed right through the nylon stringer.  I tried to save it after I noticed,  but it was a big turtle and the last few threads broke

6/30/20 @ 5:46 PM
Phat Walleyes
Phat Walleyes
User since 3/31/15

I got a floating/waterproof phone case... It's like those pocket tackle box trays that fit in your pocket... It's got a groove with a rubber seal...

The phone case has two snaps locks and tightly compresses and snaps the seal closed... 

I got it just in case, haha pun, and for rainy and wet conditions.. 

One time the first day we loaded up the boat and I bent down before getting in to dip my hand in the water to see how cold the water was...

Plunk!  What was that!??

(out of the front pocket my 110 camera with a bunch of fish photos from the year before too gone... I used a net and searched around the dock with no luck...  Another time my gear was stolen, again my camera with all of last year's fish photos... 

Opening Day Blues... Ba Da Du Dum!!

Back in Wisconsin...

First Saturday in May...

Lost my damn camera...

Again on Opening Day....

I got Da BLUES.....

Lord.... Them Opening Day Blues!

It had all my photos....

All my fish pics from last year too!

( guitar and harmonica solo )

6/30/20 @ 4:58 PM
kona77
User since 6/20/13

Chaw-  I have seen a number of things thrown over board especially on our Canada trips (pliers, jaw spreaders, rods, the cheap Kodak camera's etc).. Best story I recall was a buddy putting our last walleye on a stringer for dinner and then tossing it over without it tied off to the boat.. Seemed like the stringer/walleye's were hanging in air forever and we just missed it.. We immediately put on heavy spoons and start to drag the area hoping to snag it.. That never works for some rods we have also lost over the years but we did manage to snag the stringer after 7-8 attempts..

Like you we always have great stories to laugh about for future trips.. Glad the musky was OK !!!  

6/30/20 @ 4:01 PM
ifishwi
ifishwi
User since 1/12/05

So far so good Musky. Then there's that day you didn't think the wind could blow it over. Some of us are just blessed with these happenings.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 44 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.