SEARCH
MORE
General Discussion

Tax question?

4/27/14 @ 10:24 AM
INITIAL POST
Sgt202
User since 5/22/09
I was wondering if someone could tell me the tax implications of being a full time resident in Wisconsin, collecting an illinois state pension. I own property in Minocqua and want to build and live there full time. I want to compare my tax bills of staying a resident of ILL and owning a house in Minocqua, versus selling out of Illinois and just taking the hit of a double taxed pension by both states, and avoiding two real estate tax bills. Just looking for input on those who are doing this now or are considering it. Also, I have done some research and Tennesse looks like the best option overall...but the only ice there comes in a glass..not good for this cold weather ice fisherman! Thanks in advance for input.
Displaying 1 to 15 of 55 posts
4/11/22 @ 8:21 AM
Dave (Golden)
Dave (Golden)
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01

LOL.. ah… OK

4/11/22 @ 8:16 AM
Wacky Rig
User since 3/11/17

Disagree.  He is likely buying the narrative that many Americans don’t pay any income taxes because they aren’t required to file an income tax return.  Or, to put it another way, he believes the only income taxes any of us pay is solely reflected on our own individual income tax returns.

4/11/22 @ 8:04 AM
Dave (Golden)
Dave (Golden)

Oh.. I think he knows how it works, he just said the quiet part out loud. LOL

4/11/22 @ 8:02 AM
Wacky Rig
User since 3/11/17

Just another guy, like many of us, who doesn’t understand how the tax system works.

4/11/22 @ 7:45 AM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
PRO MEMBER User since 12/18/07

I think you’re correct on that Dave lol

Doesn’t sound like a winning campaign strategy!!

4/11/22 @ 7:37 AM
Dave (Golden)
Dave (Golden)

I don’t know, but I am thinking he might have a difficult time winning his election with talk like this. LOL.

Middle Class does not pay fair share…

Mike Gibbons

4/11/22 @ 7:32 AM
Polski
Polski
PRO MEMBER User since 5/11/03

As far as getting a question answered form the IRS good luck. They said on the news this morning the IRS is only answering 20% of the phone calls they're getting???

4/11/22 @ 6:25 AM
Wacky Rig
User since 3/11/17

n. pike --- Who must file Federal Form 1040 https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040gi.pdf

Who must file Wisconsin Form 1 https://www.revenue.wi.gov/TaxForms2021/2021-Form1-Inst.pdf

See pages 9-12 of the IRS pdf above and pages 3-4 of the Wisconsin pdf.

Individuals with ONLY a few thousand dollars of earned income don't have to file.  However, sometimes those individuals have too much unearned income from investment accounts set up by parents or grandparents.  Therefore, it is always best to review the requirements.

My then 17 year old finally had to file for the first time due to investment income this year.  But, he would have filed anyway since he had over $100 of tax withholding from his job.

4/10/22 @ 10:27 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess

Went through that a number of years ago with my son…

If I recall, the threshold for having to file for the State is 2k.

From a Federal standpoint your good…

I think taxes are Wacky Rigs and The Dudes craft, they’ll likely have a better answer!

4/10/22 @ 10:15 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

I can't be the only one with a teenager who made about 2,000 dollars working last summer. 

So, she has no federal or state tax withheld? Do I still need to file for her? 

3/5/22 @ 6:17 PM
Zmaniac
Zmaniac
PRO MEMBER User since 2/8/06

They’ll be keeping a close eye on you now Brent   

3/5/22 @ 6:06 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess

Every year I try to be close, so I either get a very small refund, or owe just a few bucks…

A few years back my accountant told me I owed 18 to the IRS, and put a voucher and envelope in my  tax folder, and told me to write a check when I got home.

I ended up filing it away, and forgot all about it.

Fast forward two years, and I had to reference my old taxes for something, and noticed the envelope, and realized that I never paid. 

I was a little freaked out, as the IRS isn’t known for forgiveness or understanding lol

At any rate, I called them and let them know of my mistake, and with fines, penalties, and interest, I owed around 150 bucks.  I wrote them a check, but thought about what a person would owe if they forgot to claim 1,000 in misc income, or had a math error or something!  I ended up paying them around 8 times what I originally owed…

Also, they told me they went very easy on me because the issue was self reported, and  it wasn’t the result of an audit!

3/5/22 @ 12:46 PM
Snake1
Snake1
PRO MEMBER User since 1/22/21

I think it was a SNAFU. Happens to the Government all the time. 

3/5/22 @ 12:23 PM
Polski
Polski
PRO MEMBER User since 5/11/03

Not really a question just a issue I had. Last fall I get a letter from the IRS telling me I had a mistake on my return and owe them just over $500. It had to do with our medical insurance and my wife changing half way through the year when she went on Medicare.

OK, so I look over what I did and find the mistake and send them the check. Yesterday I get a check from the IRS (5 months later) telling me I over paid. It was the exact amount I sent them. Sure gives you confidence in yet another government ran program.

5/17/21 @ 5:11 PM
arthur1957
arthur1957
User since 6/24/01

Wacki, I was never a fan of it either. It just worked out that were were fortunate enough to be in the right financial circumstances to take advantage and retire three years sooner than planned, without having to tap in to our tax deferred retirement accounts. 

Displaying 1 to 15 of 55 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing geared up by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE