LOGIN
Lake-Link

SuperBowl 52 Minneapolis 2018

5/21/14 @ 7:08 AM
ORIGINAL POST
ol sarge
ol sarge
User since 3/8/04
So, who is excited about the 2018 SuperBowl coming to Minneapolis? I think it was a great choice. It is about time the NFL spread some love and gave other cities a shot. With the new stadium and the expansion coming to Mall of America it should be a great time. I wont go to the game, but I can not wait to go and experience the NFL at its best. Minneapolis is such a great city and deserves to have the game. Go Pack Go! Whatcha think?

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 14 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
5/24/14 @ 6:44 PM
Tim_T
User since 6/17/11
Maybe if the NFL ever did decide to hold the Super Bowl in Chicago, something would actually be done to the sad excuse of turf they have there.

No way it'd ever be held there. On Lake Michigan shores in Feb.? Wondering

Tim

5/23/14 @ 6:42 PM
esoxcpr
User since
The SB requires a minimum of 30,000 hotel rooms to be in the metro area of the host city.

By comparison, Green Bay's metro area has 4,300 hotel rooms.

The knock on Chicago hosting is that Soldier Field has the smallest seating capacity of all 32 NFL stadiums. In fact, there are 38 stadiums that are used exclusively for college football that seat more people than Soldier Field.

5/23/14 @ 11:44 AM
dsinwi
User since 1/24/02
I'll agree, GB probably couldn't support a SB. I too would like to see more games played outside. I think we are in the minority on that one though when it comes to the masses and their money.

And no, I'm not getting carried away. MN is as passinate about their sports teams as anyone. Misplaced maybe, but passinate none the less.

5/23/14 @ 7:07 AM
ol sarge
ol sarge
User since 3/8/04
Green Bay will never host in this era. Not enough hotel rooms and no International Airport. We can wish.... Minneapolis was the only one out of the three competing cities that had non stop flights from every NFL city. I think that was a big plus. You could arrive in Minneapolis and never step outside the whole time you are there. I would like to see some Northern Cities get put into the rotation some time. Football is about the experience and part of that experience is playing outside in the cold. My son lives in Minneapolis so I already have a place to stay for free. Cant wait.

5/23/14 @ 6:20 AM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01
"Mpls now has a lot of light rail.

Might almost pay for itself"

taking any bets?

5/22/14 @ 6:08 AM
'da Coach
'da Coach
User since 12/23/08
So it's not the Ray Lewis Superbowl, Tim? Wink

5/21/14 @ 11:22 PM
Tim_T
User since 6/17/11
This thread should be titled Super Bowl LII

Tim

5/21/14 @ 11:55 AM
dsinwi
User since 1/24/02
Aside from maybe the weather I can't think of reason this isn't a great choice for the NFL and the city. New stadium, great football city, storied franchise and passionate local football fans. It will certainly give the local economy a shot in the arm, and that's fantastic for people who live and work there. It would be nice to be in comfortable climate at that time of year but if I were a SB goer I sure wouldn't let the weather stop me.

What are the chances of it coming to GB some day? I'd think pretty slim, idk.

5/21/14 @ 11:26 AM
ol sarge
ol sarge
User since 3/8/04
I see this as a great chance to show case what the upper midwest is all about, good food, good beer, the great outdoors, great people. As for the brutal weather, downtown is connected by the skyway and light rail runs right to the stadium. I think the weather will be a non issue. People go skiing in cold weather. I think it would add a nice touch. miami and New Orleans gets old after a while. I my humble opinon. football was made to be played outdoors, in the weather. we have gotten soft. Anyway, I think it will be a great venue and some of that money will most definately flow into Western Wisconsin which I think everyone can agree they can use. And who knows, maybe the Packers will be in it too boot.

5/21/14 @ 11:08 AM
Route66
User since 6/22/01
My wife is already talking about renting out our house for $3500 for the week as we are in Az at that time.

Its in Phoenix next year and we may not be able to go as the rents are going up 400 per cent at that time.

Mpls now has a lot of light rail. There will be a lot of traffic between the Mall f America and downtown.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 14 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.