SEARCH
MORE
General Discussion

Steak

12/8/16 @ 12:03 AM
INITIAL POST
ayeFeesh
User since 5/17/11

Anyone else love a good steak? Whats your favorite cut...ribeye, porterhouse, tenderloin? Can you recommend a good local butcher, or one to avoid? Good restuarants who only serve the best? Perhaps a great recipe you'd like to share...

I used to be a porterhouse guy...until I discovered ribeyes. I still switch between the two. A little salt, a little pepper, cooked up rare yes please! 

For lovers of steak to discuss....

Displaying 1 to 15 of 146 posts
3/22/21 @ 1:02 PM
Bank's
User since 3/11/20

Local grocery store had Wagyu Bavette steaks for $15.00# ordered two 1-1/2# steaks seared on Kamando then brought up to temp on cool side of grill.The meat just melted in the tacos we made.

Last week they had Chuck Roast "Prime" wow for an extra dollar a # very good.

3/22/21 @ 10:16 AM
swamp people
swamp people
User since 5/14/12

Venison loins,  2 eggs sunny, American fries.  It's still steak right?

3/22/21 @ 9:19 AM
Mr.Seaguar
PRO MEMBER User since 2/5/05

I'd never heard of hanger steaks before. I will be on the lookout for them in the future. I gotta take the kid to the orthodontist and then I'm gonna burn me the last porterhouse for lunch.

3/21/21 @ 8:35 PM
Pool8
User since 1/27/17

My local grocery store butcher had hanger steaks, I'd never heard of it. I looked them up and the other name is butcher's  cut. They're out of this world in my opinion.  Wife said better than any filet she'd had . 

11/24/20 @ 6:07 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
PRO MEMBER User since 12/18/07

We purchased half a cow (split it with a buddy), and the price was 2.59 per pound including butchering / wrapping.

You get hamburger, TBones, roasts, Rib Steak, NY Strips etc.  definitely a cheap way to put some meat in the freezer. Even got the tongue, heart, soup bones, suet for the birds, and ribs. 

On the plus side, we know the farmer, and what he feeds them!

Meat is only getting more expensive, definitely a good buy, to buy it in bulk...

11/24/20 @ 5:54 PM
Dave (Golden)
Dave (Golden)
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01

My butcher had some Wagyu NY Strips ($36/lb ouch), which were amazing. NY Strips are usually very lean, so it was neat to get that cut of steak with some marbling courtesy the Waygu cattle.. very tasty.. 

Going down tomorrow to see what neat things the Butcher might have for this weekend. We are getting our Thanksgiving meal catered by Wholefoods... first time for that, should be interesting. 

11/24/20 @ 5:25 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
PRO MEMBER User since 12/18/07

Good to see you posting again Mr. S!

11/24/20 @ 4:03 PM
Mr.Seaguar

I bought some ribeyes at Walmart. I know their rep but I rolled the dice. The first 3/4 to a pound were good. The last half pound or so kinda dragged it's way down my throat. Idk what's wrong with me, getting old maybe.

11/24/20 @ 2:32 PM
nihsif
nihsif
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

preparation is a big piece... I'm not a fan of prime rib unless it's the end cut with a little more tooth and flavor, or it seems to me

for regular cuts of steak, room temperature - salt&pepper  is it as far as seasoning goes -  cast iron pan heated to med hi on the stove top -  splash of olive oil or other high smokepoint oil, a generous pat of butter -  steak(s) searing for 3 minutes  ( don't touch or move ) - flip and sear other side for 1 minute -  then into a preheated  450 oven for about 5 minutes... these are relative times for a thick cut beef tenderloin, so adjust for approx thickness of steak you are cooking... remove and tent under foil for a few minutes .... this is so easy, even I can produce a great steak

I put this out here thinking it may work on a prime rib...but having never made one, I'll leave that to the others doing the cooking 

-- I do the same on thick cut pork chops

11/24/20 @ 1:59 PM
Bank's
User since 3/11/20

I know all the different grades of meat.When the stores sell rib roast at $5 $6.00# around the holidays I call it prime rib,Yummy Yummy Hell thats the price of ground beef.

11/24/20 @ 1:49 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

I have a coworker who's family runs an organic farm. I'm getting to where I only buy my beef from them. All grass-fed just like the meat we got when my in-laws still had their farm. The steaks may not be as tender as a restaurant-quality cut but the flavor cannot be beat.

11/24/20 @ 1:13 PM
Analog man
Analog man
User since 12/10/18

Angus has to genetically 51% to be called Angus. Then there is " Black Baldy cattle. Angus crossed with Hereford.  In the old days carcasses were visually graded and rolled with a USDA stamp stating its grade. Now retailers just make up a catchy name. Your really buying ungraded where its inspected but given a grade based on its lineage.  Sad.

11/24/20 @ 1:01 PM
Thrash
Thrash
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

Here's something about steak shopping that grinds my gears - allegedly, as long as it can be demonstrated that a steer is at least 10% genetically black angus, it's meat can be labelled and sold as "Black Angus".  I got that information from someone who should know, however I didn't verify it myself (thus the allegedly word).  There's a pretty wide differential between the quality of meat from a 10% black angus and a 100% black angus.

11/24/20 @ 12:35 PM
fishicot
User since 4/16/18

Here is the definition of what prime rib means.

A standing rib roast, also known as prime rib, is a cut of beef from the primal rib, one of the nine primal cuts of beef. While the entire rib section comprises ribs six through 12, a standing rib roast may contain anywhere from two to seven ribs. 

And then there are the USDA grades.

• Prime grade is produced from young, well-fed beef cattle. 
  • Choice grade is high quality, but has less marbling than Prime
  • Select grade is very uniform in quality and normally leaner than the higher grades 
  • Standard and Commercial grades are frequently sold as ungraded or as "store brand" meat.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               So the best of the best is USDA Prime Prime rib.

11/24/20 @ 2:44 AM
Mr.Seaguar

I'm a porterhouse guy. I even had pictures of a couple from this summer. I use Royal Oak lump charcoal.  I cook my ribeyes medium rare but my porterhouse is medium well. The meat around the bone does not cook as rapidly so if you dont cook it right, that part will still twitch when you stab it with a Fork. Well, it looks like it will. 

Displaying 1 to 15 of 146 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing geared up by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE