Lake-Link
CORONAVIRUS STATEMENT FROM LAKE-LINK

Safer at Home

3/23/20 @ 10:16 AM
ORIGNAL POST
brews4995
brews4995
User since 4/2/10

So now starting tomorrow more businesses will be restricted and more travel will be limited except essential business and work.  

This is getting ridiculous.  I work at a large hospital,  in close contact to hundreds of other people.  Go to the store, same thing. I understand trying to limit the spread, but its not going to work. Dangerous precedent going forward for 4 deaths from this.

Just curious how this will affect you going forward now? No more work, what is your inconvenience?

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 357 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
TODAY @ 12:34 PM
FullDraw05
User since 10/10/17

This is not really a bright spot.. but one I have been trying to pay attention to more and more each day for a sense of relief from all of this. It's nice to be able to turn on the news, your local newspaper website, or scroll twitter and not see another racially induced fight, cop vs pedestrian shooting (warranted or not), gender inequality, and all of the other stuff that fills mainstream media... through all of the harrowing aspects of our new reality.. the amount of positives and people helping people are being highlighted more than ever. Maybe I'm wrong or looking too quickly to miss these stories.. but if there is a decrease in crime and hate, at least that is a bit of silver lining. 

terribly sorry for everyone's loss and my prayers with those in times of uncertainty awaiting results!

TODAY @ 12:28 PM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

True, it definitely doesn't have to be a high population, but I don't think it helps matters either.  Especially in a world where we have thousands of flights in and out on a daily basis from all over the world.  Wouldn't be so quick in the horse and buggy days.  Of course that now makes me think of when Europeans came to the America's and the natives didn't have any immunity to those diseases.

TODAY @ 12:00 PM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

Interesting thoughts Lakeshiner.  I would guess we all came out of high school biology with similar thoughts.  at least my thoughts have been similar to what youve expressed here.  But the more Ive read on this subject as an adult I see matters increasingly different.  
Survival of the fittest is actually a pop culture term that is a misinterpretation of Charles Darwins theories.  Should be restated as survival of the fit as an expression of those organisms that are suited to the current environment.  And despite what weve learned about overpopulation being an invitation to natural correction via disease or genetic weakness.....disease and genetic weakness occur in small populations as well.  
Environments are in a state of constant change so what is suitable to survive in todays enviornment may be completely different a year from now regardless of population level.  
We all remember the Malthusian theory and its easy to accept.  Not that Malthus was wrong. Pop culture interpretations of his theory do not take into account changing  environmental dynamics.  A population regression to a mean is an assumption which is observable but not necessarily a fact that cant be overcome in the long run. 

TODAY @ 11:38 AM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

Chi Towner sorry for your loss.  I hope you stay safe. Try to get outdoors and stay active, I think  youll feel better. 

TODAY @ 11:00 AM
swamp people
swamp people
User since 5/14/12

chi town I am very sorry for your loss may god bless you...

TODAY @ 10:01 AM
kona77
User since 6/20/13

Outfishin-  It is always great to see some positive news..Thanks for the update.. Also wanted to extend my best wishes to Chitown. Tough times for sure for you but hopefully your experience will help to reinforce with others on here why it is so important to follow the current social distancing/containment requirements..  

TODAY @ 9:33 AM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

great news Outfishin!

Very sorry Chi town. I can’t imagine. 

I do find it interesting  that it’s not World War 3, an asteroid, or  some climatic event that we might have to fear the most going forward. 

But rather, a virus. Maybe not this one, but perhaps something even worse. Certainly Hope not! 

But this possibly Shows how little control we have over events around us sometimes. Enjoy each day! Nothing is guaranteed. 

TODAY @ 9:19 AM
phishin phool
MEMBER since 4/5/08

outfishin' YEA!!! Great news! Thanks for posting!!!

TODAY @ 9:13 AM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01

that is great to hear

TODAY @ 9:03 AM
outfishin
User since 1/14/13

Negative for my niece!! Thanks guys. 

Very sorry to read about your loss Chitown. 

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 357 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.