Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Running my Lowrance off my snowmobile battery

4/9/15 @ 8:03 AM
ORIGNAL POST
fishngod
User since 3/14/07
I want to hook up my Elite 7 to my snowmobile. Will it run ok if I wire directly to the battery? Just wondering if that will drain the battery to much and if I need to rig up another separate battery for the Lowrance. I would prefer to keep the GPS on when I turn the sled off.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 5 OF 5 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
4/10/15 @ 4:35 PM
mendota
MEMBER since 12/19/01
I forgot to mention most modern sonars have a battery voltage readout you can put on the screen. Cheap insurance.

4/9/15 @ 10:08 PM
Otter Box
Otter Box
User since 12/10/14
I did that on my ATV last fall for ice fishing and it works great. I have all sorts of things running off my battery, but when I stop to fish I can leave the Lowrance on and have no issues. Took 5 minutes to run the power cord from the battery up to the front rack where I put a RAM mount for the unit. Had a lot of comments on the ice about it this past winter, guys like the idea.

4/9/15 @ 8:26 AM
mendota
MEMBER since 12/19/01
I would imagine your snowmobile battery would power your sonar/GPS for several hours, no problem. Turn your display brightness down all the way, you will probably double the battery life.

Should be no damage issue for the sonar, but I would check the manual and make sure it can take up to 16V on the input, due to the alternator output on your vehicle.

As far as knowing exactly how long you could get away with it, you would need to monitor the battery voltage with a digital voltmeter, and stop your discharge / start your charge when the battery hits 12.0V or so.

4/9/15 @ 8:22 AM
Cold Front
MEMBER since 7/9/01
I run my GPS off the cigarette lighter on my wheeler. Way easier than direct wiring. It is easy to take off while trailering or when parked. I even plug that particular unit into the port on my boat instead of direct. Same reasons. Not sure about the draw but it can't be much. Your sled has a pull start option, right? That would be a good back-up.Mrt.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 5 OF 5 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.