LOGIN
Lake-Link

Road Trip

4/3/18 @ 9:35 AM
ORIGNAL POST
Smallie Chaser
Smallie Chaser
MEMBER since 7/13/01

I will be driving to Myrtle Beach the second week of June with my wife and 2 of my high school age kids for a vacation. I am looking for any suggestions on places we should maybe stop and see on the way. We were hoping to check something out the first night after driving maybe 8-10 hours, which would put us somewhere in Kentucky,

Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 8 OF 8 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
4/3/18 @ 3:07 PM
Smallie Chaser
Smallie Chaser
MEMBER since 7/13/01

Thanks for all the suggestions already!!

Yes I am starting in Oconto Falls, and if I had it my way, we would be on the road by 5, because I will be up anyway., but I'm pretty sure that will not happen.

4/3/18 @ 2:46 PM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
User since 6/12/10

Smokey mountains national park by Gatlinburg, TN is pretty sweet, but that's a little farther than your planned day one distance.  The town itself is a lame tourist trap, but the park is awesome.  I'd recommend taking a couple hour detour and driving up to the top of Clingmans Dome.  I'd only recommend if it's a clear weather day as you won't be able to see anything on a low cloud/ foggy day.

4/3/18 @ 2:12 PM
split shot
split shot
User since 6/19/01

Three suggestions after having made dozens of long road trips with kids. Get an early start, avoid traffic, and bite off as many miles on the first leg of the trip as you can. If your profile is accurate, and you're starting in Oconto Falls, I'd be rolling at 5:30 AM. That would put you past Chicago mid morning, missing the commuter traffic, and around Indianapolis by 2:00 PM depending on how often your crew needs to stop. You should be able to hit Knoxville around dinner time.

There are all kind of attractions and stuff to do around Knoxville. Calhoun's is an excellent BBQ place, some of the best ribs I've ever tasted. The Blue Ridge Mountains are striking this time of year, which you'd be able to check out on your next leg of trip (get off the Interstate). I 2nd all the previously posted recommendations, however I would hit them on the way back home.

4/3/18 @ 12:18 PM
migr8r
migr8r
User since 2/8/11

cds- “There's a really really REALLY cute midget ranger gal at Mammoth.”

I lol’ed! I don’t know why but midget sightings always make me laugh. Maybe because a barrage of jokes come to mind that there never seem to be a shortage of. Some don’t really measure up but I still laugh. 

4/3/18 @ 11:57 AM
Esox JJ
User since 6/4/05

I also would recommend Mammoth cave. If go there and you're not aware of the National Park passport book it might be something to think about for you as well as the kids. You purchase the book at any national park visitor center. After that whenever you visit a national park, the visitor centers have a stamp with the name of the park and the date you visited. Something to think about to record your visits. My wife and I started in 1992 at the Badlands, Wind Cave, Jewel Cave, Mt. Rushmore, and Devils Tower. It's pretty neat to look in the book and think about how long it's been since we went to each park. Talk to one of the park rangers at the visitor center and they will explain everything about the book. Have fun on your vacation.  

JJ 

4/3/18 @ 10:20 AM
badgerbass
User since 8/20/07

Mammoth Caves near Bowling Green, Ky...but you need to purchase tour tickets prior to getting there if there are any left...but well worth it. Elizabethtown,KY check out Lincolns birth place and Lincolns boyhood home (separate locations but nearby and right off of I-65). If you like country music Nashville allows kids in the bars during the day, pretty much every bar on the strip has a band all day every day.

Lincoln stuff is free, mammoth cave has a low cost (national park). If your a corvette fan the corvette museum is in Bowling Green

4/3/18 @ 9:45 AM
mskyadk
User since 11/11/01

Road trip w/wife and kids after 8hrs...... Kentucky you say,  I would be thinking bourbon. 

DISPLAYING 1 TO 8 OF 8 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.