MORE
General Discussion

Riding Lawnmower Recommendations

7/23/21 @ 3:08 PM
INITIAL POST
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03

Looks like I may be picking out a new riding lawnmower in the near future.

I have a smaller yard, 15,000 square feet or so.

I have a YardMan, but it's about 17 years old now.  Time to upgrade.  It has a 42 inch cutting surface.

Thinking all I need is a 42 inch model.  Heard that there are mower decks that adjust if you are on a slope and not just flat surface, so that the cut is better.  This true?

I know I'll need to put on a rear bagging system.

Anything else I should be looking for?  Brands to get serious on?  Brands to avoid?

Displaying 1 to 15 of 46 posts
6/27/22 @ 9:08 AM
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03

Go to craigslist, see how much mowers that age are going for.  Then decide if you want to list it for more because you think it is better, or for less if you want to simply sell it.

6/25/22 @ 4:36 PM
topam
topam
User since 1/22/05

Anyone have recommendations on selling a rider -- getting ready to downsize and I have a 2016 Simplicity 44" broadmoor with about 225 hours.  Havent did any research on sites but if anyone has suggestions would appreciate any information.

6/25/22 @ 10:20 AM
Wjbk95
User since 4/12/21

I got my mower from proven power also, with bagging system and snow blower attachments, they are definitely one of the better dealers out there, they definitely go above and beyond, way better than midstate equipment 

6/24/22 @ 8:29 AM
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03

I ended up purchasing the John Deere X350.  42 inch cut.  Got the front grill guard.  Upgraded the seat.  Bought the bagger attachment (backordered).  Did put the electric mulching kit on it.

Here's the funny part of it.  I did it about a month ago.  I had noticed that the old Yardman had a flat tire from over the winter.  So I got the tire off and got it fixed at Fleet Farm.  No big deal.  I go to put the thing on, and it won't go on.  I can't get it the extra half inch it needs to go back onto the base.

I called a few local mechanics that work on mowers.  Nothing.  They had no clue.

So, I ordered the Deere from Proven Power in Oconomowoc.  When they delivered the mower, they took the old one.

The guy that dropped it off looked at my old mower, muttered something under his breathe and turned the wheel around and put it onto the mower.  Told me I wasn't an idiot (which obviously wasn't true).  He said that the valve stem went on the inside on some of the older mower models.  Unreal.

That was the funny part.  The cool part was, he spent over an hour with me, just going over the mower.  Then he stayed while I got on it and used all the features.

I've used the thing twice so far and it is amazing.  The first cut, well, the grass was really high.  I cut probably 3.5 inches off of the grass down to 2.5 inches.  I know I cut too much, but oh well.  With that mulcher, there was no grass clippings discharged into the grass.  It was all mulched up.  Amazing.

6/24/22 @ 7:30 AM
Snake1
Snake1
PRO MEMBER User since 1/22/21

Pool, You could get Matching Factory Stickers (Lawnmower Brand) for the sides of helmet! 

6/23/22 @ 7:13 PM
Bassmaster+recordracks 2
Bassmaster+recordracks 2
PRO MEMBER User since 7/24/20

The gazoo helmet is awesome. 

6/23/22 @ 7:06 PM
Pool8
User since 1/27/17

B@R they gave me a Gazzo helmet and a bubble suit to use since it came with a drink holder.  I also bought a large bow so I have the option of giving it to my wife as an anniversary gift and can drink beer while watching her mow. 

I'm undecided at this point. 

Riding Lawnmower Recommendations photo by Pool8
Riding Lawnmower Recommendations photo by Pool8
6/23/22 @ 5:31 PM
Zmaniac
Zmaniac
PRO MEMBER User since 2/8/06

If your father is 93 years old and still cutting grass, he deserves the best, most comfortable machine made. God bless him!

6/23/22 @ 5:27 PM
Snake1
Snake1
PRO MEMBER User since 1/22/21

I don’t know if this is the same thread but I mentioned my 93 yr old Dad has a 42” GrassHopper 360*. What I like about it is the deck is in front so you just flip a switch and the Deck pops up vertically for cleaning. He also bought the $750 seat for comfort for add ons. It’s a nice mower with trailer hitch. 

6/23/22 @ 5:19 PM
fishies
User since 1/2/12

I forgot to mention that the mower is not good on steep lawns.  I've used larger such mowers and they are fine....heavier so no slip.

6/23/22 @ 5:17 PM
fishies
User since 1/2/12

I have an Ariens zero turn 34" mower with a 19 hp Kohler engine, and I love it.  I can get into tight spots and around trees.  I no longer need to trim.  It cuts mowing time by about 1/3.  It is solidly built and made here in WI.   I paid $2400 two years ago.  Highly recommended.

6/23/22 @ 4:40 PM
nihsif
nihsif
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

Well,  that's something most guys wouldn't take on, so congrats... and usually those engines require a special mechanic... my opinion 

6/23/22 @ 11:32 AM
nihsif
nihsif
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

...it's sort of the results of the breakdown of the family... so many don't know how to bake/cook.... the recipes and techniques have skipped a generation, same with mechanical....

not saying that is the only reason... they essentially stopped teaching that stuff in school as well

6/23/22 @ 11:22 AM
Zmaniac
Zmaniac
PRO MEMBER User since 2/8/06

Actually Defcon, those measurements are more critical on assembly not in diagnosis. If you’re going to service your own equipment and/or rebuild anything, the technical data is important. 

We live in a throw away society today. It’s much easier for people to replace something than it is to repair it. People don’t want to take the time to learn or do the things that were quite common years back. 

6/23/22 @ 10:51 AM
Hunter&Hound
User since 7/24/01

To be fair, most guys would have no idea what you're even talking about, Zmaniac.  Many guys these days have no real concept of such things and even simple things like mixing gas or dealing with minor engine issues are a mystery.  Ultimately, this is benefitting the shift to electric, because even the dumbest can charge a battery.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 46 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish seduced by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE