Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Regional deer flavor differences

5/1/17 @ 2:24 PM
ORIGNAL POST
Mr.Seaguar
MEMBER since 2/5/05

I live in Iowa, I have hunted deer here and in South Dakota for years. 2016 was my first WI deer hunt. We had it cut and wrapped by an individual who did a great job, very happy with their work. However, this is the strongest tasting deer I have ever had. Years ago my friend shot an 11 year old buck in southern Iowa that was far better eating than the small buck I am eating on now. This was in the Spooner area. Next time I am having the whole thing made into breakfast sausage, that should cover up the strong taste. Has anyone else noticed this in their deer? I have two friends from WI, one started laughing when I said that and he said yeah them deer from up north are funny tasting. Thanks

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 20 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
5/3/17 @ 10:41 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

cds - Maybe that is it, I never fish Milwaukee.  The browns I catch are usually off Manitowoc or Two Rivers.  Not near any discharges.  I sort of make it a point to not eat fish from sketchy locations.  I did have bluegills from a lake once and the meat stunk funny, even after frying it.  Never kept them there again, tasted like weeds. 

5/3/17 @ 9:54 AM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

I learned the hardway. Wild venison is good in 3 forms. Best is tenderloins the rest is ground then made into sausage or chili.

5/3/17 @ 9:18 AM
migr8r
migr8r
User since 2/8/11

Personally I think age, sex, how they were killed and how they were cared for after has more to do with flavor than diet. To me a 1 1/2- 2 1/2 yr old doe who dies quickly from a gun shot is going to taste 100X better than a 5 yr old rut buck shot with a bow. Adrenaline and lactic acid running through a slow dying animal does not equal good eats in the long run. Cooling off immediately and keeping the meat cold until processed is also a big factor. 

Now a 2 1/2 yr old doe shot in farmland vs forestland and cared for the same will taste different but a forestland fed doe certainly would not taste bad. Perhaps gamey-er but still far better than a deer that wasn't cared for from the start. 

Keep in mind these farmland deer are eating the exact same thing as forestland deer 9-10 months of the year. That last 2-3 months of eating some crops isn't going to have a huge impact.

5/3/17 @ 8:37 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

Well I guess my taste buds are truly shot then since I'm in the minority here.  Just like how I think all Lake Michigan fish taste the same and everyone else says they don't LOL.  I'm starting to see a pattern.

5/2/17 @ 10:33 PM
Pool8
User since 1/27/17

I wonder if the wolves taste like venison 

5/2/17 @ 9:46 PM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01

Wonder if deer run lean by wolves are tougher than those without wolves... just wondering 

5/2/17 @ 8:05 PM
fishhook
fishhook
User since 9/16/01

Mike,

Nothing like a lightly seasoned vennie inner loin cooked up med rare from agricultural counties.

5/2/17 @ 7:53 PM
fishhook
fishhook
User since 9/16/01

Popper,

Im pretty sure Euell Gibbons wouldnt think so,lol.

5/2/17 @ 8:10 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

I must not have much for taste buds because I can't tell the difference between corn fed or northern WI deer, granted they get corn fed a little too up there.  The biggest difference for me is how the deer is butchered.  Deer fat tastes terrible, have to trim it all off.  Its not like beef fat at all.  Fry up some venison with fat and some without and you'll notice the difference right away, blah.  I can't think of one deer I shot over the years that tasted differently though.  They all taste like venison.  Maybe its how I cook it, not sure.

Did see one with dark red dots all over the meat one time, only thing that ever stood out to me.

5/2/17 @ 7:54 AM
dsinwi
User since 1/24/02

As far as whitetails in Wis go....

I've eaten deer taken from the shores of Lake Superior to deer taken in farm country in Columbia county. Aside from old or young deer and how they were taken care of I have found little to no difference in the taste.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 20 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.