Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Recommendations for a mobile home with no septic system

3/1/19 @ 4:38 PM
ORIGNAL POST
mkjo
User since 8/18/06

I recently bought a 4 acre wooded lot up near the UP border (Florence County), with a really old mobile home on it. Has no water or septic, but does have electric service.

The guy I bought it from owned it for several years and did nothing with the place. He bought it from the kids of the previous owner who passed away.

For the short term, my plan was to renovate the interior to make it comfortable enough to keep the wife happy and have guests come up and stay. Long term, not sure if I will build something new, replace it with a newer mobile home, or just gut what I have down to the studs and redo everything. I will  be eligible to retire in about 7 more years, so the thought of moving up there has crossed my mind.

My first priority is going to be the septic. My initial idea was to see if I could put in black/gray holding tanks like you have in an RV, and put in a normal toilet and hook up a sink/shower. Then maybe have a sanitation service empty the tanks a couple times a year. Would this work?

I am not sure of what other options there are, short of having a full blown septic system with drain fields put in. Since I haven't decided what we will do with the place yet, I am just looking for some inexpensive options that will get us by for a couple of years.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 18 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
3/3/19 @ 11:24 AM
Fowler2
Fowler2
User since 7/17/09

Our family recently sold a cabin in the brule backwaters of Florence county. Florence county really tightened the grip on sanitary/ septic systems in the last decade.  Ours had failed inspection. Rather old tank with a suspecting leak. 

Get a couple free estimates from local contractors in the county. They will have the best knowledge of what would suit you best based on area/terrain. We had alot deep bedrock. Would have been approved for a partially buried gravity holding tank. Not a 4 season solution. Quote was just shy of 5K. If i remember correctly this was for (2) 250 gallon tanks, 50ft pvc plumbing with (1)toilet + sink connection. Other options were available with a bigger price tags for fulltime year-round use dwellings.  Another  bedrock concern is for water wells. Ours was very deep and blasting was required. Dont remember the cost but it was a steep cost quite a few years back. 

3/3/19 @ 10:11 AM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01

I agree RC... maybe someone's uncle is in the septic tank business

3/3/19 @ 10:07 AM
Plmlk
Brent Hess
MEMBER since 12/18/07

Did a quick search of Marquette County’s Sanitary Ordinance. 

The quick answer is that if a public sewer is available it has to be used.  If a public sewer is not available, and a private system must be used, a holding tank may only be installed if other private systems (mound or septic) will not work.  

In essence it has to be the last resort.  

The Woodlands Resort
(262) 661-3968
3/3/19 @ 7:27 AM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

I find that odd that holding tank wasnt allowed since with a holding tank the waste is completely removed from the immediate environment and given the best treatment available at a municipal facility.

3/3/19 @ 3:05 AM
Cold Front
MEMBER since 7/9/01

You can’t get a permit for a holding tank in Marquette County. At least I couldn’t last year. My old system was condemed and I was forced to go the septic system route. Tank would have been perfect since I only stay a few nights a year at my place. Mrt.

3/2/19 @ 7:43 PM
Plmlk
Brent Hess
MEMBER since 12/18/07

I just had a new holding tank installed in one of our cabins in Vilas County. Also have a holding tank at one of my rental homes.  

They are pretty common. The only thing you have to do is provide pumping records to the county every year so they know you’re  not simply dumping your sewage out. 

They are legal in Florence county as well. I don’t know of anywhere they are not legal...

The Woodlands Resort
(262) 661-3968
3/2/19 @ 7:38 PM
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
12packabs
12packabs
User since 12/19/06

I suppose county-by-county varies with what is allowed, but I know of several medium-size businesses in SE WI that use holding tanks rather than septics for their black water sewage.  These businesses have 7-15 employees on site using the facilities daily...

Not sure how often they get pumped, but I know they have large concrete tanks buried under their buildings.  Possible they were grandfathered, but they have not been flagged non code-compliant...

3/2/19 @ 7:28 PM
Plmlk
Brent Hess
MEMBER since 12/18/07

Really isn’t an alternative to a septic, just a cost effective solution until the OP figures out what he’d like to do with his place. 

The Woodlands Resort
(262) 661-3968
3/2/19 @ 7:23 PM
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
Depends as alternate septic system

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 18 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.