LAKES
REPORTS
FORUMS
TRAVEL
DEALS
SEARCH
MORE
General Discussion

Propane Grill almost blew up....any problem solving tips?

6/21/21 @ 8:55 AM
INITIAL POST
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03

I'll elaborate more in a different thread later on, but....

I had a few terrifying minutes this past weekend.  I was using a Weber gas grill that was not mine.  Cooking up burgers and dogs.  Everything was going just fine, grill was at 300 degrees and food was cooking great.

Turned my back for 2 minutes to help others get a little project done.  Came back, the grill was at 600 degrees and climbing fast.  I quickly turned all the burners off.

Opened the kettle to see that the bottom of the grill was on fire, as was the drip pan.  I wrapped my arm in some water soaked towels that I had and grabbed that very hot handle and closed the grill, only to see it climb to 700 degrees.

Said a little prayer and after about 4 minutes, which seemed like an eternity, it cooled to 600 degrees.  Flames were out, opened the grill top just a tick and saw that the grease and flames were in fact not on fire any longer.

So yah, the grill must have been very dirty.

And I got away very lucky.  With the heat coming out of that thing, I do not know if I could have been able to disconnect the propane.

Thinking I was very lucky in the fact that no flames were sucked into the gas line and back into the propane when I shut it off.

If anyone has been in a position like this, what are some things that could have been done that would have helped the situation?

I'm still here counting my lucky stars that the flames went out and there was no damage done.  Could have, err, it probably should have been much, much worse.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 43 posts
7/13/21 @ 9:34 AM
Bank's 2
User since 7/8/21

Finally put together my flat top grill.Ran natural gas line and have everything dialed in. Seasoned up top but have not cooked on it yet.Camp Chef M#900

6/24/21 @ 6:57 PM
homewrecker
User since 8/28/03

Open the lid and run it on high for a few minutes when done cooking. Burn out the grease. I have melted the awning on the camper cooking on my small Weber. Apparently they are not made for party packs of brats or whole cut up chickens. 

6/24/21 @ 4:43 PM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17

I do that with the charcoal grill,works great.   CARPIO 

6/24/21 @ 4:31 PM
nihsif
nihsif
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

I don't remember where I heard this but when I'm done grilling I usually crank the temps up and let it go for 5 minutes or so and it burns off all the excess grease and then when I want to grill again I get it started and then I that's when I use my brush to clean the grill surface never had a problem in a long long time of grilling

6/24/21 @ 4:26 PM
waltereye sr.
User since 6/25/01

I also do alot of beer can chicken. I put the beer can holder and chicken on grill with double tin foil and fold up all four sides to catch grease. I then baste the chicken with said grease as it cooks. 

6/24/21 @ 1:14 PM
Carpio
Carpio

Igor.   Instant ignition!    Just put new coals over the grease soaked ashes an you’re ready to go!      CARPIO 

6/24/21 @ 12:12 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
PRO MEMBER User since 12/18/07

I love beer can chicken as well, I place the chicken on a can of beer, and put it in a small square casserole dish, then put the dish and the beer can chicken in the grill. 

It doesn’t impact how it cooks, as it is all indirect heat anyway - but it does save your grill from flaming up! 

6/24/21 @ 11:41 AM
Igor
User since 6/20/01

I do beer can chicken a lot on the Weber and you wind up with a puddle of chicken fat under the center of the charcoal grate.  The next time using it you have to be aware because the fat soaked into the ashes REALLY takes off once it's hot enough.

6/24/21 @ 8:31 AM
Carpio
Carpio

Yesterday my neighbor brought home a new charcoal grill and told me that his caught fire over the weekend.  I asked him how often he cleaned it and he said never, it was only 6-7 years old! By the way this thread reads that this is a fairly common occurrence.       CARPIO 

6/23/21 @ 11:28 AM
Igor
User since 6/20/01

May be an image of 1 person

6/23/21 @ 11:28 AM
RandyPrice
RandyPrice
User since 9/25/17

I've had that happen on my Weber Genesis gas grill.  The grease catch tray and the grease catch pan catch on fire.  It is a very frightening experience.  I now keep my grill cleaner and keep a water bottle near by.

6/23/21 @ 10:52 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

Agreed that gas with a smoker tube is better than charcoal alone.  Especially if you do indirect heat and smoke.  Without the smoker tube, charcoal would be better for taste.  The thing with the tube is that you can change up the types of wood and do different things with it easier.

I use a pellet smoker too, they all have their pros and cons.  I even use the smoke tube in the pellet smoker for extra smoke.

Fast hot cook I consider burgers or steaks.  I wouldn't smoke that, just nice and hot.  I do use the tube for chicken though or grill baskets.

6/22/21 @ 11:42 PM
CCLUND
User since 5/29/11

Hey fishloveme, 

You can buy the Weber flavorizer bars in stainless. You never need to buy them again.

6/22/21 @ 4:22 PM
Snake1
Snake1
PRO MEMBER User since 1/22/21

Kingsford is the only Charcoal I use. Gotta gas grill Up Nord, but it isn’t used very heavy. A Pre-Inspection is important using any item that runs on propane. I may have skipped the Pre-Inspection 1 or 2 times in my life! Lol

6/22/21 @ 3:44 PM
PSE
PSE
PRO MEMBER User since 11/25/05

Stick with charcoal and start 1/2 hour earlier.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 43 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE