LOGIN
Lake-Link

Pontoon/Camper Combo

10/3/17 @ 6:58 PM
ORIGNAL POST
JPons
User since 4/7/14

See pictures below-

Any of you guys have a set up like this where you could be on the pontoon boat all day and then sleep in it as your camper? I feel like it would give you 3 options: 1) find a protected bay and anchor (least favorite option) 2) Beach the boat on state land like on a Lake Tomahawk, Trout, Crystal and sleep 3) After being on the water all day, put boat back on trailer and drive to camp site. 

I can get the wife excited about camping but only if "its not a tent on the ground." She wants a pop up camper, but for the life of me I don't know how to pull a pontoon and a pop up camper at the same time behind my SUV. This seems like a great alternative and probably would be cheaper than a pop up anyways.  Throw one single air mattress on the floor for me, and my 2 young boys plus wife could easily sleep on the furniture already inside our 20ft pontoon. 

Found a website that makes custom full enclosures for pontoons. I know if you were to buy new, many pontoon manufactures make these to buy as an additional option.

Let me hear your thoughts!

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 12 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
10/5/17 @ 1:36 PM
JPons
User since 4/7/14

Awesome, thanks newoodhntr!!

10/4/17 @ 9:00 PM
newoodhntr
MEMBER since 12/11/01

Jpon, Canvas Products of Eagle River they just changed locations and names it use to be Cindy covers it. They have a Facebook page with info. and web page is eagleriverboatcovers.com 

(715) 479-3414

CanvasProductsCompany@gmail.com

Facebook: Canvas Products of Eagle River

10/4/17 @ 8:28 PM
JPons
User since 4/7/14

Truck camper would be great and accomplish both tasks, but I haul my boat with a V8 4 wheel drive Toyota Sequoia. Great idea for guys with a truck though! Compared to the price of a pop up or truck camper, the pontoon enclosure has got to be the most economical option too I would imagine. 

Pool8, Prop, thanks for the info on the Mississippi. We live in a water rich state, so I knew this idea would work in many places!

10/4/17 @ 12:51 PM
HotPockeT
User since 3/18/11

A truck camper with the slides is nice if your pulling a boat. My buddy does that. But its a heck of an investment. Those nice truck campers are not cheap. More than a fifth wheel almost.  Plus you would prob want a big dually for it.  My friend dropped about 80k on everything. lol

10/4/17 @ 11:34 AM
Pool8
User since 1/27/17

Not to mention overnight camping on the mississippi islands

10/4/17 @ 11:10 AM
Prop
Prop
User since 4/9/03

Mississippi you wouldn't have any problem with over night parking. Hell people park for a week at the landings I go to.

10/4/17 @ 7:38 AM
zeplure
zeplure
User since 2/11/02

"There is a small flaw in your plan. Most state boat landings don't allow overnight parking."

Not true if you are on the water you can park there all night. If your walleye fishing you can't park there?  

10/3/17 @ 9:23 PM
Fishscales
User since 3/2/03

Get a truck camper that has slides that makes the camper bigger. 

10/3/17 @ 9:03 PM
JPons
User since 4/7/14

newoodhntr - Thank you, Eagle River is much closer than the company I found on the web who does this as well! Do you remember the name of the place in ER by chance?

Gimper- The boat in sites is just what I had in mind for the beach and sleep option. (Thanks for the heads up about Tomahawk) If the state boat landing doesn't have overnight parking, then like I say, could just put the boat back on the trailer and take SUV and boat back to campsite and sleep there. A hard camper on pontoons sounds pretty cool too! Getting close to house boating at that point, but hey any time on the water is time well spent to me!

Thanks for the responses guys, keep'em coming!

10/3/17 @ 8:10 PM
Gimper
User since 11/27/01

There is a small flaw in your plan. Most state boat landings don't allow overnight parking. Also, no camping on state land unless it is in a designated campground or on a designated trail that allows dispersed camping. Just a heads up before you make the investment.

You could probably do it on the Boat in sites on Trout and the Willow but I know the islands on Lake Tomahawk are off limits.

I had seen a guy on the Moens Chain several years ago who had a hard side camper mounted on pontoons. He sat up front to drive it. Looked like he was driving a stagecoach without the horses.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 12 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.