LOGIN
Lake-Link

Peacocks in Wisconsin

8/20/16 @ 1:32 PM
ORIGNAL POST
fishingmaster1997
fishingmaster1997
User since 4/18/12

Buddy posted this on snapchat today. Any clue how a wild peacock got to Wisconsin? Can they survive in the wild? My best guess is that it's an escaped pet. Pretty cool I guess, I wonder if it falls under the huntable unprotected species in Wisconsin...

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 14 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
6/6/19 @ 12:37 PM
MuskyHunter
MuskyHunter
User since 6/17/01

They are just like turkeys.

many keep them on farms as guard/warning birds and bug control.

9/1/16 @ 2:23 PM
Wicasa
Wicasa
User since 11/11/15
When I lived in the city of La Crosse (back in the day), they'd escape from the zoo regularly.  The first time I heard them, I had no clue and went to investigate.  I called up the zoo guy and he said the do that every now and again, not to worry, they'd be home to roost.  Sure enough......

9/1/16 @ 2:07 PM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
User since 6/12/10

Apparently my cousin's wife has a few in Langlade County.  One of them supposedly broke out of it's corral a few weeks ago, but was recaptured last week.

9/1/16 @ 11:54 AM
mendota
MEMBER since 12/19/01

My brother has a pair that are hanging in his yard in Fitchburg, and a co-worker had a fully feathered male cross the road in front of him in the Cottage Grove area.  My brother has come home to them roosting on his roof; they apparently have no problem flying up.  They are also very aggressive toward the feral cat that hangs out there as well - they chase it right out of the yard.

I have heard they feed and act just like turkeys, and that there ARE in fact a couple established breeding pairs that have made it through the winter and had chicks.

I'm guessing a breeding population is in the process of being established....

9/1/16 @ 11:41 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09
There is a farm near my cabin in northern Price County that has them.  Always found it odd, plus was also amazed that the coyotes and wolves don't eat them.  Look like easy pickings.

9/1/16 @ 11:27 AM
Cold Front
MEMBER since 7/9/01

There are a bunch of them on the Bass Islands in Lake Erie. I am not sure what they do in the winter but when we fished there in the spring they were around. Mrt.

8/21/16 @ 9:27 PM
One shot one kill
MEMBER since 8/12/02

I think they will eat ticks like a guinea  hen .  One cousin had some until the coyotes  finally  got them . Plus I think the are from India  originally  so REAL cold weather may kill them unless  you  can  get  the indoors  for  winter .

8/21/16 @ 1:14 AM
Ed Franko
User since 5/6/15

What is a Peacock really good for.. Can you eat them I am sure they lay eggs. I know someone that has them all the do is squawk and crap on this porch..  

Big Ed’s Guide Service
(573) 692-6710
8/20/16 @ 11:15 PM
denesox
denesox
User since 2/1/06

Its not a wild peacock, its either someone's "pet" or the pic was taken somewhere around the zoo, they get an occassional peacock (or peahen) escape they have to go corrall.   There's a house in the back of Bass's bay on lake muskego that keeps several of them, or at least they did as of a few years ago.   I know how to make a peacock call pretty good (I worked at the zoo for a while, i had a lot of practice), whenever i used to fish bass' bay i got them all riled up.

8/20/16 @ 11:07 PM
shadling1
shadling1
User since 1/17/12
I've eaten peacock many different times. It's one of the most delicious birds I've ever eaten. And I'm being dead serious.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 14 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.