LOGIN
Lake-Link

NFL-CTE

7/27/17 @ 10:13 PM
ORIGNAL POST
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

Any solutions out there?  I think this is a pretty big deal and will need to be addressed in new ways very soon. 

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 18 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
7/28/17 @ 10:57 PM
Pool8
User since 1/27/17

After all the cte info started coming out always wondered if O.J has it maybe a reason for the behavior or he's just a psycho 

7/28/17 @ 10:08 PM
brews4995
brews4995
User since 4/2/10
Get rid of helmets all together.  Make everyone think twice about leading with their heads.  Works in rugby. Actually did hear on a radio program about this exact thing. Does make you think though maybe less protection means less aggression?

7/28/17 @ 9:26 PM
Treeshark
User since 4/5/09

I agree- I don't think it's new at all, just recently much more recognized. I'm almost certain Jack Tatum, Chuck Cecil etc... suffer from and/or caused a significant amount of it back in the day.

7/28/17 @ 9:19 PM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

Not sure Mike Webster is a good example of what cumulative micro collisions do to the brain. Mike is still suspected of steroid use though his closest friends dont seem privy to it. The guy did spend unprecedented 6- 10 hours a day in college working out on weights which made him excell (with or without roids) but when putting that much weight behind his own head collsions may have contributed to his own demise.  Hence my previous post.

7/28/17 @ 9:07 PM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

It would be in everyones best interest from high school on up to the pros to put weight limits on all players.  This CTE stuf never seemed to be an issue until building body mass became the rule of the day. A 250 pound weight limit for example in the NFL may keep the head injuries down and succeed at bringing back the competitive grind we once had. Get rid of this hand holding and friendly conversations with opposing players.  As much as I disliked the old style of dirty tricks its gotten too riduculous by going the opposite direction too.

7/28/17 @ 12:14 PM
Wicasa
Wicasa
User since 11/11/15

...is there any responsibility on the players themselves?

I'd say beyond the high school level it's 100% assumed risk.  You are now an adult.  You know what can happen.  You make a decision and live with the outcome.  End of story.

7/28/17 @ 12:10 PM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01

I'm implying that the media has become lazy

7/28/17 @ 12:01 PM
fltlndr
User since 12/25/02

Making millions of dollars a year knowing their going to get their bell rung yes they should take some responsibility. No one is making them do it.

7/28/17 @ 11:59 AM
12packabs
12packabs
User since 12/19/06

Now that it is generally known what will occur when one plays football, the onslaught of lawsuits will drive football out of high school and college.

We all have to be understanding of the positive impact that football has on the lives of participants who otherwise would be drains on society.  Thousands of inner-city kids have made a good living through football, when they would have been bangers and hoods without it.

Not having come from that background, who am I to say that they can't make that decision for themselves?  Certainly a complex moral issue.  I'll simply enjoy it while it lasts...

Was that Dana Stubblefield who wore that foam outer shell over his regular helmet for the Niner's back in the 80's and 90's?  Maybe those will be common?  I remember it coming off during a game on MNF once...pretty funny.

7/28/17 @ 11:54 AM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01

one theory is that the better helmets make the players feel even more emboldened to hit with their helmets even more...

...is there any responsibility on the players themselves?

in typical media style, they focus on the deep pockets and maybe ignore some other elements because it sells

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 18 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.