LOGIN
Lake-Link

new dog

3/5/18 @ 1:35 PM
ORIGNAL POST
sheephead
User since 2/8/17

Hi Everyone

I am a first time dog owner. never had one growing up and am near 50 years old. Adopted a really nice dog this weekend and i feel like my stress level is blowing. Dog has been well behaved(1 accident) Just a huge change in my house hold right now. is this a typical feeling for a first time dog owner?

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 16 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
1/5/19 @ 8:12 PM
Pool8
User since 1/27/17

Thanks Igor I know I'm not the only one to do this on LL. I recapped an entire 2 day old brewer game last summer. Hehehe 

Oh and Dave congratulations on the new pup 

1/5/19 @ 8:05 PM
Igor
User since 6/20/01

First of all, congrats on adding to your household.  We currently have 2 cats (11 & 2-1/2 years) and 2 Labradors (11 & 1 year) and to say the least it's an adjustment.  However it's one you'll never regret.

Second, make sure the dog learns YOU make the rules, and YOU are the boss.  Big way to teach this is while the dog is eating, take the food bowl away for 5-10 seconds.  They are food motivated and this teaches them you are in control.  Won't take long for the dog to learn.  I do this with all my dogs and it REALLY helps when training for hunting.

Third, make sure you are consistent with commands and expectations.  I have always trained mine on the concept of "name then command".  In other words "Lucy, sit."  or "Harley, heel."  and of course "Harley quit humping Lucy.  I'm gonna need a cigarette if you keep going!"

And last, strong but firm on discipline.  Not saying to beat the dog when it misbehaves, worst way to gain its respect.  It's a puppy and you will have challenges for the next 15-18 months, however when it does misbehave, let the dog know you aren't happy and it will respond.

Above all, have fun and take LOTS of photos.  You will be amazed at how quickly they grow.  We got Harley 12/30/17 at 10 weeks and he weighed roughly 10 lbs.  He's now 15 months and pushing 90 lbs.  I look at pictures from when we first got him and can't believe he was that small.

Aaaaand I just realized the original post was from 3/5/18.  Man am I alert!

1/5/19 @ 6:18 PM
Dave (Golden)
Dave (Golden)
MEMBER since 6/22/01

Sent my wife to Hartford CT so she can pick up her new puppy. He is related to a dog that we had that passed this last year, so my wife has a special attraction to him. He was to be a show dog, but one of his nuts (testicals) didn’t drop, apparently that would disqualify him from being a show dog.. news to me.

I am going to name him Nutter... 

One of her Christmas presents.. I also just upgraded her to First Class for the flight home tomorrow.. that should be a nice surprise.

3/6/18 @ 8:33 AM
sheephead
User since 2/8/17

Thanks for the comments. This morning was better than past mornings. She seems to be getting on a poop schedule. My biggest struggle is kenneling her during the day while we work. I know I can't look at her like a human but that is what my heart does.

3/5/18 @ 6:57 PM
Route66
User since 6/22/01

Put some Peanut Butter between your toes and see how he responds.

3/5/18 @ 4:39 PM
Musky99
User since 8/8/11

Go to a dog training class it will help you understand what your dogs needs and doesn't need.  I took miykids along as well so we would all be on the same page with our pup.

I noticed when we first got our pup we each had our own words for the same commands (sit, stay, heel, etc..) so the poor dog did not what we were talking about.

3/5/18 @ 4:30 PM
Lundguy2
User since 4/22/15
I would add that pups go through stages just like babies...I remember at one point our girl one day realized she could chew up whatever she wanted, every day she was chewing on something, I even texted my wife one day that we need to find her a new home...now we joke about it, when she is curled up on my wife's lap and snoring, I say "and you wanted to get rid of her"

3/5/18 @ 4:29 PM
wibrowndog
User since 2/23/17

Soon, you'll settle into a routine and everything will be great. 

3/5/18 @ 3:43 PM
swamp people
swamp people
User since 5/14/12

Sheep

Dogs are mans best friend it takes time to settle in the dog is feeling anxiety to. Not sure what its past is luke either.  May have been abused and is seeking a second chance to prove loyalty. 

My pups ( both rescue dogs) one with hat on is blind

3/5/18 @ 2:45 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

Look into doggie daycare.  We did that a couple of days a week for the first couple of years.  They come home exhausted.  If you buy days in packages, you get better rates.  It's worth the money especially if you have a high-energy breed like I do.

I still try to get in 2 miles walks any night that I can get out after work.  It's as much for me as it is the dog.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 16 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.