General Discussion

Memorial Day - Thanks Veterans!

5/24/02 @ 7:45 AM
Baggs
Baggs
User since 6/16/01
November 21, 1864 Mrs. Bixby-

Dear Madam,

I have been shown in the files of the War Department a statement of the Adjutant General of Massachusetts, that you are the mother of five sons who have died gloriously on the field of battle. I feel how weak and fruitless must be any word of mine which should attempt to beguile you from the grief of a loss so overwhelming. But I cannot refrain from tendering to you the consolation that may be found in the thanks of the Republic they died to save. I pray that our Heavenly Father may assuage the anguish of your bereavement, and leave you only the cherished memory of the loved and lost, and the solemn pride that must be yours, to have laid so costly a sacrifice upon the altar of freedom.

Yours, very sincerely and respectfully,

- A. Lincoln -

Please take time out this weekend to remember and give thanks for the veterans who have fought to protect our way of life.

Displaying 51 to 60 of 381 posts
5/31/21 @ 11:09 AM
BUD E LEE
BUD E LEE
User since 5/19/10

On Behalf of a Grateful Nation

Generally, after "Taps" is sounded... the flag is folded... and presented to the appropriate family member.

• Stand facing the flag recipient and hold the folded flag waist-high with the straight edge facing the recipient.

• Kneel, on one knee, in front of  the flag recipient and solemnly present the flag to the recipient.

• Present the flag using the veteran's military service preferred wording:

• Army ... This flag is presented on behalf of a grateful nation and the United States Army as a token of appreciation for your loved one's honorable and faithful service. (Note: President of the United States isn't an official reference in the Army flag presentation.)

• Marine Corps ... On behalf of the President of the United States, the Commandant of the Marine Corps, and a grateful nation, please accept this flag as a symbol of our appreciation for your loved one's service to Country and Corps.

• Navy ... On behalf of the President of the United States and the Chief of Naval Operations, please accept this flag as a symbol of our appreciation for your loved one's service to this Country and a grateful Navy.

• Air Force ... On behalf of the President of the United States, the Department of the Air Force, and a grateful nation, we offer this flag for the faithful and dedicated service of [Service member's rank and name]. (NOTE: If the next of kin has expressed a religious preference or belief, add: "God bless you and this family, and God bless the United States of America.")

• Coast Guard ... On behalf of the President of the United States, the Commandant of the Coast Guard, and a grateful nation, please accept this flag as a symbol of our appreciation for your loved one's service to Country and the Coast Guard.

Provided by Military Funeral Honors / U.S. Defense Department

Memorial Day - Thanks Veterans! photo by BUD E LEE
5/31/21 @ 8:52 AM
Yahara
User since 11/21/20

Flags along a block of Monona Drive this morning. Great to see. 

Memorial Day - Thanks Veterans! photo by Yahara
5/30/21 @ 3:09 PM
BUD E LEE
BUD E LEE
User since 5/19/10

Our local Vets are out today putting Flags out in front of every house in the area. 

5/29/21 @ 1:44 PM
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

Gee I almost forgot to put out the the flag this morning

5/29/21 @ 12:56 PM
Pool8
User since 1/27/17

My thanks to all the families and friends of those who gave their lives for our nation. 

On a side note,  you may see some of our men and women out on a rusk march . It's in honor of our fallen and also to bring attention to the 20 plus veterans that take their lives every day. Give them a honk or wave if you do. My sons been doing it for several years now. Some are fund raisers to help those in need.

Have a safe and great weekend. 

5/29/21 @ 7:01 AM
Regjoe
User since 2/7/06

Thanks to all the vets out there. Especially my dad who was in Korea in 52/53.  

5/29/21 @ 6:54 AM
Snake1
Snake1
PRO MEMBER User since 1/22/21

Truly heartbreaking pictures that give deep thought to keep our fallen alive.

5/28/21 @ 8:24 PM
Polski
Polski
PRO MEMBER User since 5/11/03

Thanks to all who served and those that gave it all, just another pic worth sharing...

Memorial Day - Thanks Veterans! photo by Polski
5/28/21 @ 4:36 PM
phishin phool
phishin phool
PRO MEMBER User since 4/5/08

BUD E LEE, man, that post you did...the picture and...

Dang it!!! I wasn't gonna...then, I thought I would...or should. I wanna post and say something but...Whatever I might come up with would be so inadequate...I just say...refer to my post 5/22/20 at 7:14. I have never be accused of being smart but, dang it...why??? WHY??? I am just one of those..."Crazed 'Nam Vets" but I do care...No matter how you say it...you can never say "thank you:" to one of "those that gave all" Cause he can't hear ya!!! I am sooo sorry....

5/28/21 @ 9:50 AM
BUD E LEE
BUD E LEE
User since 5/19/10

Respect those that gave ALL and pray for the Families of all that Serve OUR Country.

Displaying 51 to 60 of 381 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing equipped by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE