Memorial Day - Thanks Veterans!

5/24/02 @ 7:45 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Baggs
Baggs
USER SINCE 6/16/01
November 21, 1864 Mrs. Bixby-

Dear Madam,

I have been shown in the files of the War Department a statement of the Adjutant General of Massachusetts, that you are the mother of five sons who have died gloriously on the field of battle. I feel how weak and fruitless must be any word of mine which should attempt to beguile you from the grief of a loss so overwhelming. But I cannot refrain from tendering to you the consolation that may be found in the thanks of the Republic they died to save. I pray that our Heavenly Father may assuage the anguish of your bereavement, and leave you only the cherished memory of the loved and lost, and the solemn pride that must be yours, to have laid so costly a sacrifice upon the altar of freedom.

Yours, very sincerely and respectfully,

- A. Lincoln -

Please take time out this weekend to remember and give thanks for the veterans who have fought to protect our way of life.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 331 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

6/6/21 @ 9:43 AM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER SINCE 6/15/01

thanks for the reminder of D-day...and thanks for the pics... cannot imagine what it was like being a part of that in any way shape or form

6/6/21 @ 9:25 AM
Esox JJ
MEMBER SINCE 6/4/05

My wife and I went on a cruise in 2016 and one of the stops was Normandy. We went to the museum, Omaha beach and Pointe Du Hoc, and the cemetery there. The feeling I had standing on the beach is something hard to describe knowing what happened there. Thank you to all servicemen and women that serve in the armed forces.   

6/6/21 @ 8:37 AM
kona77
USER SINCE 6/20/13

Just a reminder today is D-Day and while most of our WW2 vets are gone the whole world still owes a debt of gratitude to all those US/British/Canadian soldiers who faced those obstacles to help turn the tide of that war.. I know we all agree they truly were our greatest generation.. RIP to those vets who are now gone and a big thank you to any living WW2 vets..  

6/1/21 @ 6:44 AM
Leechster
Leechster
USER SINCE 1/22/21

Bud, That really does say alot, especially after Nam.

5/31/21 @ 8:27 PM
river_chaser
USER SINCE 10/3/12

Thanks to all who served and serve. Special thanks to all the risk takers, willing or unwilling. 

5/31/21 @ 7:01 PM
jawjerker
jawjerker
USER SINCE 1/14/02

Was at the Veterans cemetary in Union Grove today, beautiful sight to see. Also, about a 120 or so bikers rode through to pay respect to someone, was good stuff

Thank you to those that gave their all

5/31/21 @ 6:21 PM
BUD E LEE
BUD E LEE
USER SINCE 5/19/10

A little Zippo can say ALOT.

5/31/21 @ 4:28 PM
The_mystery
USER SINCE 1/15/21

Thanks to my grandpa in WW2 and my dad in nam, and all the other people that have protected this great country. 

5/31/21 @ 12:02 PM
Fv.screaming drags.com
Fv.screaming drags.com
USER SINCE 3/29/20

I had two uncle's who fought in the Vietnam War and they were never the same after that. one was a helicopter door gunner and was exposed to agent orange and the other was a paratrooper. Even though they didn't die in battle the scars stayed with them for life neither are with us anymore. But when they talked I listened cuz as horrible as some of the stories were they still deserved to be heard. I can only imagine what it was like for them. So when you see a veteran thank them for their service to our country and take some time to remember all those who gave the ultimate sacrifice for us to have what we have.  God bless all our veterans and thank you for your sacrifice to protect your country ??

5/31/21 @ 11:09 AM
BUD E LEE
BUD E LEE
USER SINCE 5/19/10

On Behalf of a Grateful Nation

Generally, after "Taps" is sounded... the flag is folded... and presented to the appropriate family member.

• Stand facing the flag recipient and hold the folded flag waist-high with the straight edge facing the recipient.

• Kneel, on one knee, in front of  the flag recipient and solemnly present the flag to the recipient.

• Present the flag using the veteran's military service preferred wording:

• Army ... This flag is presented on behalf of a grateful nation and the United States Army as a token of appreciation for your loved one's honorable and faithful service. (Note: President of the United States isn't an official reference in the Army flag presentation.)

• Marine Corps ... On behalf of the President of the United States, the Commandant of the Marine Corps, and a grateful nation, please accept this flag as a symbol of our appreciation for your loved one's service to Country and Corps.

• Navy ... On behalf of the President of the United States and the Chief of Naval Operations, please accept this flag as a symbol of our appreciation for your loved one's service to this Country and a grateful Navy.

• Air Force ... On behalf of the President of the United States, the Department of the Air Force, and a grateful nation, we offer this flag for the faithful and dedicated service of [Service member's rank and name]. (NOTE: If the next of kin has expressed a religious preference or belief, add: "God bless you and this family, and God bless the United States of America.")

• Coast Guard ... On behalf of the President of the United States, the Commandant of the Coast Guard, and a grateful nation, please accept this flag as a symbol of our appreciation for your loved one's service to Country and the Coast Guard.

Provided by Military Funeral Honors / U.S. Defense Department

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 331 POSTS
Advertise here
The Deadeye Custom Series rods are all custom technique specific walleye jigging rods designed for the tournament walleye angler. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: OKUMA FISHING TACKLE - Dead Eye Custom Series Rods
Brand new for 2021, these technique-specific bass rods now feature advanced SCIII+ carbon blank and St. Croix's proprietary IPC®, FRS, TET technology for stunning performance at an unbelievable value. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: ST. CROIX RODS - Victory Spinning Rods
New CUSTOM Colors! The perfect choice when you want a lure that runs straight and true, even when running fast and deep. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: RAPALA - Down Deep Husky Jerk - NEW Custom Colors
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.