Memorial Day - Thanks Veterans!

5/24/02 @ 7:45 AM
ORIGNAL POST
Baggs
Baggs
User since 6/16/01
November 21, 1864 Mrs. Bixby-

Dear Madam,

I have been shown in the files of the War Department a statement of the Adjutant General of Massachusetts, that you are the mother of five sons who have died gloriously on the field of battle. I feel how weak and fruitless must be any word of mine which should attempt to beguile you from the grief of a loss so overwhelming. But I cannot refrain from tendering to you the consolation that may be found in the thanks of the Republic they died to save. I pray that our Heavenly Father may assuage the anguish of your bereavement, and leave you only the cherished memory of the loved and lost, and the solemn pride that must be yours, to have laid so costly a sacrifice upon the altar of freedom.

Yours, very sincerely and respectfully,

- A. Lincoln -

Please take time out this weekend to remember and give thanks for the veterans who have fought to protect our way of life.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 335 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
5/25/20 @ 4:59 PM
Short Fat Bald Sexy Guy
Short Fat Bald Sexy Guy
User since 6/27/08

I didn't know until today that on Memorial Day the American flag is supposed to be flown at half staff until noon.  

5/25/20 @ 12:35 PM
jlkohl
User since 6/9/02

Salute to all. Lost a first cousin in Vietnam. Stepped on a land mine on his second to last day. RIP Ronnie!!

5/25/20 @ 12:32 PM
Phat Walleyes
Phat Walleyes
User since 3/31/15

Thank you for what you've done for all of America, its citizens, and the world at large... 

Land of the Free/Home of the Brave

Rest Forever In Peace

5/25/20 @ 9:21 AM
jawjerker
jawjerker
User since 1/14/02

Thank you to those that gave their lives so we can live free

5/25/20 @ 8:18 AM
momof2
User since 4/19/08

Igor I agree with you we should remember them everyday. I'm sorry about your friend he sounds like a hoot. 

Thank you all who have served and to their families. We might not have the freedom if it wasn't for all of you.

Thank you

5/25/20 @ 7:30 AM
Igor
User since 6/20/01

Ironically enough I've gotten to be good friends with a Vet from Sioux Falls who was there on 11/8/65.  He's long-time friends with the guy the song is written about.  During my 20 years as a Volunteer with the WPVA I got to meet some men who "were there" on several historical battlefields.

Another soldier that sticks out was first wave at Normandy, actually went on to become a SEAL.  He passed away in '04.

Tunnel Rats, LRRP, you name it.  Unfortunately, most of them are in wheelchairs due to accidents of one type or another but to most, they consider it a minor inconvenience and went on to ENJOY life.  

Today is supposed to be a day to remember those that gave all, but honestly, isn't every day?????

5/25/20 @ 7:13 AM
ktowne
MEMBER since 7/20/03

Remembering all of the fallen on this Memorial Day.

5/25/20 @ 7:07 AM
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
User since

To all the family's who lost someone protecting our way of life thank you

5/25/20 @ 6:53 AM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01

loved the song, and deepest respects to Mr. Joe Fox Sr... 

...and to those that have given their all so we have this day to gather in peace with family and friends, we honor your sacrifice

5/23/20 @ 10:06 PM
Igor
User since 6/20/01

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=8th+of+november+big+%26+rich&view=detail&mid=282063A1E0DCFB7ABBC8282063A1E0DCFB7ABBC8&FORM=VIRE0&ru=%2fsearch%3fq%3d8th%2bof%2bnovember%2bbig%2b%2526%2brich%26form%3dEDGHPT%26qs%3dAS%26cvid%3dc0842f8901da4c8cb4df8d999524f689%26refig%3d005a75b3ce3a49988c99a355c977aff4%26cc%3dUS%26setlang%3den-US%26plvar%3d0

Having a rough time right now.  One of the greatest men I have ever met, Mr. Joe fox Sr. is in a losing battle with cancer and likely won't make it through next week.  Many of you are aware of my involvement with the Paralyzed Veterans of America, well to me, Joe epitomizes what the organization is all about.  Class act throughout.  Marine, 'Nam vet,  I could go on and on about the man but 2 stories about him come to mind that I will NEVER forget about him.

First, my wife and I were in his van with him and his wife in 2004 Sioux Falls, SD at a shoot.  His wife is driving us back to the hotel and his cell phone rings, and Joe goes from laughing/joking to "yes sir."  "No Sir."  "No problem sir."   He hangs up, looks at his wife and says, "I know we're supposed to go to Seattle next week but George & Barbara want us to come to Texas for the week."  His wife says, "Oh, OK, we haven't seem them for a while."  My wife and I look at each other and I look at Joe and says, "Is that who I think it is?" and he says " OH yeah, George Bush and I go back many years."  My wife & I almost fainted.  During his tenure as the National President of the PVA, we saw him on MANY Veterans Day ceremonies Going up in his wheelchair to lay a wreath at the Tomb of The Unknown. 

The second is better.  At a dinner in DC during the reign of spawn of satan, oops, Clinton, he was at a dinner where satan was going to be speaking.  Captain draftdodgingdouchenugget came up to Joe beforehand and said, "Now when I enter, please don't try to stand.  You don't need to"  Uhhhhh, THE MAN IS A QUADRAPLEGIC!  He looked bill square in the eye and said, "Even if I could stand I wouldn't you draft dodging son-of-a-bitch!"  Had that confirmed by two eyewitnesses!

So long my friend, you will be missed.  We will take it from here although nobody can match what you've done.  

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 335 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.