Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Manitowoc Minute

4/23/18 @ 6:30 PM
ORIGNAL POST
fishfillet
User since 1/8/13
Any other fans out there?   Keep 'r movin!

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 27 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
4/25/18 @ 7:17 PM
JigDipper
JigDipper
User since 12/19/14

Well guy ya know, dis one time we coulnt decide whether to go ta Trevers or Mishcot.....

4/25/18 @ 10:28 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

A water fountain is a lawn decoration.  A bubbler is for drinking.  I grew up there, I know these things.  A bubbler is also out in Lake Michigan where the water from the utilities comes back out.

A small stream is also a crick.  Its not a creek.

If its all 5 acre woodlots I guess it makes sense that they drive deer right?  LOL

4/25/18 @ 6:10 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

Ha!  We had a burn barrel.  I think everyone in the rural neighborhood where I grew up did.

I know that my folks didn't take it with them when they moved up north so I guess the one they had came with the house.

Edit, we knew someone who worked in a salvage yard who would get us metal baskets from old washing machines.  We'd put that on top of the barrel after starting the fire.  We were among the first people in Manitowoc County with "Environmentally Friendly" burn barrels.  Or at least they cut down on grass fires.

4/24/18 @ 8:46 PM
benuts
benuts
User since 1/19/02

Lol BT. Bring your own burn barrel or is the one there included? Asking for a friend.

4/24/18 @ 6:42 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

To add to Red Eagle's post...

Guys are savagely loyal to their brands of trucks.  Way more than the norm.  Calvin and Hobbs back window stickers of one or the other urinating on the logo of their rival's brand is very common.  And 'yer truck is beat!' is a common insult.

'Yous' is an acceptable plural form of 'you'.  It's usually accompanied by the orator pointing with multiple fingers (on one hand) at the people they are referring to.  This can be more than two people.

Hot lunch program menus routinely include 'Hot Tamales' which are actually sloppy joes and water fountains are 'Bubblers' in Manitowoc County.  But you can learn all that in a Happy Schnapps  Combo song.

No one brews Kingsbury Beer these days.  I miss 'swinging with the king!' That's all.

Edit: this was 30+ years ago.  Things might have changed since.  

Another edit:  Our neighborhood get togethers/BBQ's always featured corn on the cob late in summer.  Not an uncommon occurrence but one dad always brought a Foldgers can full of hot water and a stick or two of butter melted on top to keep warm on a grill.  A quick dip of the cob and you had a nice even coating of oleo to apply salt to.  I've never seen that done anywhere else.

4/24/18 @ 6:24 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

Yup.  The Salvage yard is NW of Mishicot on 147.  Growing up, the word was if you needed something to disappear, Avery's Salvage Yard was the place to drop it off.  

4/24/18 @ 5:54 PM
fishfillet
User since 1/8/13

Wow the comments. "Oh my gosh"!   Lol.   I used to hunt up  der too guy.   Drank a couple two tree beers at The Big Apple, ate at the Y Go By in Mishicot, and partied at the gravel pit on Kuss Rd off of Q.   Oh the memories.

4/24/18 @ 4:10 PM
Jared
Jared
User since 7/22/01

Red,

Could you tell us how you really feel?

4/24/18 @ 4:05 PM
benuts
benuts
User since 1/19/02

Home of the Avery Salvage yard too correct?

4/24/18 @ 3:07 PM
Red Eagle
User since 12/17/16

Lol! No..... No I am not.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 27 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.