LOGIN
Lake-Link

Making Maple Syrup

1/26/02 @ 12:59 PM
ORIGINAL POST
sapman
sapman
USER SINCE 8/16/01
This warm wheather is getting itchy to prep my syruping stuff. Only month and a half away.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 1,533 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

4/1/21 @ 10:12 AM
dbuchmann
dbuchmann
USER SINCE 2/17/05

Doing my last boil Saturday. Had 400 gallons of sap stored and should get another 100-200 today and tomorrow before pulling taps.  Reverse Osmosis is running currently. From the 400 gallons stored I should be at around 100 gallons of concentrate for boiling.  Been a weird year weather wise, really good run days, then too hot, or too cold so sap flow has been up and down and no consistency.  Should end with 30-35 gallons of syrup this year. 

3/31/21 @ 10:24 AM
JigRod
USER SINCE 11/16/01

Good looking setup Lakeshiner.

First year making syrup for me. I've boiled about 200 gallons of sap so far and by the looks of it should have at least 75 gallons to boil this weekend. I'll pull taps Sunday.

I made an evaporator with a 20 x 40 divided pan this winter and  it took maybe 175 gallons of sap before the pan was sweetened and I was able to draw off syrup. I'll run a few more taps next year so i can get to draw off a bit sooner.

3/30/21 @ 9:18 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER SINCE 7/20/09

Still going strong in NE Price but I think I’m sick of it.  No buds on any trees and running like crazy.  Had empty bags yesterday morning and today many are full.  It must have run all night and was still going this morning.

Going to boil what I have, likely over 100 gallons, then pull and clean equipment before it gets cold tomorrow.  Best year I ever had.

Even had TV this year.

3/23/21 @ 9:32 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER SINCE 7/20/09

I boiled about 130 gallons last weekend.  Didn't finish any yet, have maybe 3-4 gallons of syrup in one pot.  Then have another that has probably a little over a gallon.  Both in the fridge right now, will start boiling with the smaller pot next weekend again.

Starting on the weekend I am off for a week.  I think I'll just boil the first couple days and end it though, I will have enough for my needs.  I don't think I ever quit with snow on the ground yet, might be the first time.  This probably would be my best year if I wanted to keep going.

3/22/21 @ 9:16 PM
dbuchmann
dbuchmann
USER SINCE 2/17/05

We cooked Saturday and Sunday and got 15 gallons of syrup bringing our total to 21.5 for the year. Hoping for one more decent run and one more boil to finish out our season. Looking to upgrade evaporators, currently have a homemade 2x4 and boiling off about 10 gallons an hour. Would like a 2x6 to help speed things up next year if anyone knows anyone selling one. 

3/22/21 @ 5:29 PM
Ulbian
USER SINCE 9/24/03

Hey dude, 

Just flip jars with sugar sand in them every couple of weeks or so. It keeps that stuff from hardening. You could rehabilitate a batch like that if you wanted to. It’s what we do at the end of the year if we find stuff like that. We‘ll pull a gallon or so of raw sap and put it in the fridge. Then heat up the sugary stuff and add that raw sap into it and refinish it. Plain old water doesn’t do the trick as well as raw sap does and you want mid to late season sap, not early sap that will tend to have a higher sugar content.

The stuff we cooked out here in Southern Wisconsin ended up coming to about 8 gallons. The stuff my brother did came to around 25 gallons, and my father in law is at the end of his season and he’s around 200 gallons. There is a very noticeable difference between all three despite being cooked the same way over wood. Tree types make a profound difference. 

3/22/21 @ 5:13 PM
44/45
MEMBER SINCE 3/9/11

I pulled all my taps last Sunday. Boiled down a total of 120 gallons of sap. Because of time and fire/wind warnings I endedded up dumping another 50 gallons of sap. Learned alot for a first time!

3/22/21 @ 3:00 PM
duckdog
MEMBER SINCE 1/24/02

Are you guys still making syrup? The father in law has finished because they got 17 gallons made up. More than enough for the three families that do it.

3/16/21 @ 10:45 AM
Smallie Chaser
Smallie Chaser
MEMBER SINCE 7/13/01

The Boarding House in Suring uses honey in their old fashions, and they are good.

3/15/21 @ 1:04 PM
fishdaily
fishdaily
USER SINCE 4/3/03

The Dude,

What else would you use the nectar of the spring for??  Makes the best OF's!!! 

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 1,533 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.