LOGIN
Lake-Link

Making Maple Syrup

1/26/02 @ 12:59 PM
ORIGINAL POST
sapman
sapman
User since 8/16/01
This warm wheather is getting itchy to prep my syruping stuff. Only month and a half away.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 1,474 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
4/6/20 @ 5:22 PM
PSE
PSE
MEMBER since 11/25/05

Ended up making 24 gallons of syrup this year. Left to right. Light to dark as the season progressed.

4/5/20 @ 7:28 PM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

Had 130 gallons to boil this past weekend.  Trees finally got going.  Was running good today, going to do one more boil next weekend and call it.  Still snow to walk through but going down.

4/4/20 @ 10:03 AM
dbuchmann
dbuchmann
User since 2/17/05

Doing my last boil today.  Should get 10 more gallons of syrup. Pulled taps and lines Thursday since they started logging my property. Was a weird year for runs here in Washburn County. 

3/26/20 @ 9:08 AM
IceFishBaby
User since 11/26/01

Pulled taps Monday.  First round was 175 gallon sap and 3 of syrup.  This is 160 sap.  Finishing now.  Was still running well, but buds getting big.  Plus running out of firewood.

3/26/20 @ 8:38 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

True, I'm more thinking along the lines of not irritating people.  The lake association/volunteer EMS sent out something saying to stay home, the county I think has something, etc.   On the other hand I go there to get away from people in the first place, so if they seek me out its their own problem.  

I just have to figure out when to go so that I don't waste a trip again.  I seem to estimate wrong every year because I talk to others around my house and read threads like this about guys finishing for the season and all that.

3/26/20 @ 7:50 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

I actually ran up to my place Tuesday afternoon before this safer at home policy and I had hardly any sap.  Had I collected I estimate 30 gallons maybe, but it was all frozen solid.  Still around 2' of snow.  It is way behind what you guys have.  Its amazing to me that it can be so different only 2 hours from my house.

Not sure what to do now with this policy in place.  If I really don't go for a month I'm going to likely have a moldy mess on my hands and a wasted season.  Going to watch how this all plays out I guess.

3/26/20 @ 6:08 AM
the_dude
the_dude
User since 1/10/03

I finished my season Saturday/Sunday.  Did my last cook and canned everything.  I ended up with just over 3 gallons of syrup.  Worst yields I’ve had and slowest sap running season for me so far. 

3/25/20 @ 9:46 PM
Chemist
User since 6/17/01

I just crossed the 8 gallon mark tonight. Very weird sap flows. Two trees next to each other, one runs one doesn't. The next day the opposite happens. This is taking place in 4 different pairs of trees on my property. If I didn't know any better I'd think someone is dumping the buckets back and forth every other day.

3/25/20 @ 7:55 PM
dbuchmann
dbuchmann
User since 2/17/05

Finished off 10 gallons of syrup this morning. Started yesterday at 6:30am and had a few issues so things took longer. Going to do one more boil next week and pull taps. Don't need to do more than 25 gallons for the year.  

3/16/20 @ 8:56 AM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

The 7 day forecast doesnt look good up there

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 1,474 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.