General Discussion

Living in a Shed, or "Shouse"

5/7/21 @ 1:35 PM
INITIAL POST
fishdaily
fishdaily
User since 4/3/03

Greeting all,

I am going to be moving in a year.  I really dont want to, but Im not the only one who gets to decide.  

Anyway with the price of lumber and building a new home I was wondering if anyone had any insight on here.  I would like to stay in South Central Sheboygan county and buy 30 to 50 acres and build a pole shed with some living quarters in it.  

I approached a member of the town board and got some mixed reviews, but am just looking for a place to hang out and live in during the summer/ fall months of Wisconsin.  

If you have any insight or advice i'd love to hear!! 

TIA

Fish daily

Displaying 1 to 15 of 19 posts
5/10/21 @ 10:42 PM
One shot one kill
User since 8/12/02

Another thing I thought of . Put plywood or OSB on before the roof metal . Gives extra support against hail damage . I had a hailstorm so bad, it actually split some of the dimples.  Had to replace the entire roof instead of just a few sheets .

5/10/21 @ 8:21 PM
Get.the.net
User since 12/30/13

I assume you are talking about living in a real structure suitable for habitation?? LOL

Check out you tube: RR Buildings, guy in northern illinois specializes in building slab on grade, livable barns/buildings. You would need soil test, well, & septic per other comments on here. There are a ton of good videos/ideas if you watch some of these. Relatively cheap/sound way to build if you ask me. The plumbing would be under the slab, so would have to be carefully planned out. I would do something along these lines myself if I can ever find the time to retire. Agree with Plum/Brent though, definitely get plans/ permits & build it the right way from the get go. Northern Wi. isn't all that tough to get permits & that , compared to the rest of urban america. Good luck,

Cheers.  Net.

5/10/21 @ 6:06 PM
Edge
User since 2/28/07

Is there a code on post walls? Can it be 9' centers on posts?

5/10/21 @ 4:16 PM
One shot one kill
User since 8/12/02

All metal outside,  so small external risk . Properly wired and plumbed should  be ok . Biggest risk would be not full time residents,  so trespassing or vandalism.  Over the years at two different places I've had windows broken and a light shot out on pole barn . Several holes, not good shots .

5/10/21 @ 12:40 PM
Edge
User since 2/28/07

Whats the insurance implications on living in a structure like this?

5/10/21 @ 12:37 PM
fishdaily
fishdaily
User since 4/3/03

Thanks to all for your insight and suggestions,

I plan to do this all by the books. I want to build a big enough building for ample storage of toys and equipment, plus a livable space no bigger than 2 br/ 2 bathrooms.  Was planning on hydronic in floor heat. I obviously would need plumbing and electric.  

Pros are; Easier to buy and build on land near where I want to live. 

Im 5 yrs from retirement so I can leave for winter and not worry about the exterior Summer or Winter. 

Im not trying to skirt the system, just trying to maximize space and keep things as low to no maintenance as possible.  Some of these Pole building have a nicer exterior than many houses. 

The only drawback is bucking the town board and the zoning rules. 

5/9/21 @ 9:49 PM
One shot one kill
User since 8/12/02

I was going to build a combination building.  But I wanted all water in a small basement at least 6 feet from outside for freeze protection.  Couldn't do it , my township only had water and setback rules . Not a problem on 80 acres.  So I did a house and a pole barn 30 feet apart . 

5/8/21 @ 5:45 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
PRO MEMBER User since 12/18/07

If you’re going to do it, I really think it’s best to just go ahead and put a well and septic in, if you ever plan on living there, you have to do it eventually anyway.

Also, it is nice to know your legal, otherwise a neighbor or someone turns you in and you’re kind of up a creek.

Might as well figure out what you want, build a garage, with living quarters above, and pull all the permits.

5/7/21 @ 6:25 PM
15th Ave.
User since 5/7/21

I hadn't posted in so long,I had to reregister here for this one.Looking at divorce,and moving up north been considering same idea as original here.

I spent 23 yrs Chicago suburbs certified insulation installer,and worked on a number of these "pole buildings' good number of different ideas of floor plans/"offices" including baths/kitchenettes.Problem always came up was plumbing/sewer.Started seeing more often showers-thinking people might be staying there overnight,or longer .Ive been property owner Adams county since 2006-wells/septic up there to what I've seen down here(septic fields) I've never understood that much about,but interested in posts here.Another big thing was always closets-has a closet-its a bedroom now matter how you try for obvious taxes.Escape routes for fire probably to be considered.Ive been out of the business since 2013,but 2012 building codes were really changing things down here esp.effieciency/air transfer.Interesting subject with lumber prices that have skyrocketed last year or so.. I had been considering this style,or modular home better deal...

5/7/21 @ 5:48 PM
Dave (Golden)
Dave (Golden)
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01

Lots of folks living in 10x10 cabins up here in the mountains.. most of them left over from the mining days.

5/7/21 @ 5:27 PM
utahman
User since 3/9/03

Not really sure, but so many people were building a garage and living in it, that the county I live in wont let you build one without a house first, unless it is zoned agriculture or forestry just not RR1 OR RR2. Back in the day people would build a big shed and live in it then build a garage and live in that until they did or didnt build their house. Many would just sink a sandpoint inside and have an outhouse or septic of their own design and a generator or propane for lights and heat. Find out by looking up your county zoning ordinance.

5/7/21 @ 4:49 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess

You do have to do it right, and put in a well and septic...

Best to do it by the book IMO...

It’s not a bad deal! 

5/7/21 @ 4:33 PM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

Just curious if Fishdaily wants to live in the pole shed completely under the radar.  OK by me and I have no problem with that.  You still need a fresh water source to bathe, clean and cook meals.  The latrine situation can be handled with a composting toilet and no septic needed.  Though ithat might not be legal.
I must say your electric consumption will give you away. Power companies keen into that and alert law enforcement. "Hey why does this storage space consume more power than normal? Lets check it out for illegal drug manufacturing". 

My former coworker was retired DEA and they love those situations if for no other reason than the adrenaline rush and finally being allowed to use their Desert Eagle Magnum.  

5/7/21 @ 4:15 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess

You can build a garage with a loft / living space above. 

That way, you’re good with what was described 2 posts below mine.

One difference to be aware of is that any structure built for human occupancy must be 15 feet from the lot line. Whereas a garage only needs to be 5 feet from the lot line. 

Also, some municipalities may have restrictions that prohibit that, but in a rural area, you’ll likely be fine.

I know a number of folks who have done exactly what you’re talking about doing. 

5/7/21 @ 4:10 PM
Wacky Rig
User since 3/11/17

Good luck buying 30 to 50 acres while retaining both legs and both arms.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 19 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing equipped by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE