MORE
General Discussion

Like feature on new topic / thread

2/6/23 @ 1:25 PM
INITIAL POST
topam
topam
User since 1/22/05

Why does LL allow "guest" to like post on threads?  Is it really a true guest just randomly surfing Lake Link or is it the same person coming in anonymously and liking their own posts several times or is it members that dont want to show they support a comment?

Just curious, sure seems to be a few people on this site that have a lot of likes on their comments but they are always guests

Displaying 1 to 15 of 42 posts
9/20/23 @ 7:14 AM
Gillespie
User since 2/6/19
  Bless you Brent; most helpful linker!
9/20/23 @ 6:31 AM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
PRO MEMBER User since 12/18/07
"Yes, thanks much Brent!  So if I'm not logged in my like will just show up as a generic Lake Linker?  But if I'm logged in it shows up as my handle?"

Correct G!
9/19/23 @ 11:19 PM
Gillespie
User since 2/6/19
Yes, thanks much Brent!  So if I'm not logged in my like will just show up as a generic Lake Linker?  But if I'm logged in it shows up as my handle?

Never knew u could tap the number of likes and find info.  Who knew?!!
9/19/23 @ 6:28 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
Gillespie,

Do you feel well informed on likes, IP addresses, and knowing who liked what? ​
9/19/23 @ 5:24 PM
jumpsteady
jumpsteady
PRO MEMBER User since 12/25/01
I'll catch a round.
Edit: 
Thank you Dave (G).
I always look forward when I receive Emails from that area.
It always says I hit a lottery. 
Like feature on new topic / thread photo by jumpsteady
9/19/23 @ 5:21 PM
Dave (Golden)
Dave (Golden)
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01
Jump I gave you a like from 104.166.144.25 which is Lagos, Nigeria just for good measure.
9/19/23 @ 5:07 PM
jumpsteady
jumpsteady
Thank you Brent.
9/19/23 @ 5:03 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
And I just liked your post JS lol
9/19/23 @ 5:02 PM
jumpsteady
jumpsteady
I just gave this thread a "Like" to feel better. 
9/19/23 @ 4:55 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
Lol, thanks Dave :) Ha!
9/19/23 @ 4:51 PM
Dave (Golden)
Dave (Golden)
Brent, I gave you a like from a guest in Santiago Chili.. LOL
9/19/23 @ 4:46 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
Pretty sure the previous number of posts should answer G's questions!
9/19/23 @ 4:44 PM
Dave (Golden)
Dave (Golden)
I am physically in Minneapolis.. the IP associated with this post is 200.25.22.152, which would say I am in Santiago Chile..

I have a VPN that never shows my actual location, my ISP, or anything close to it and (on my PC) changes my IP address every few minutes if I choose.

You P, I P, we all have an IP.. that is the key
9/19/23 @ 4:32 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
G-

I'll share what I know coming from a non-technical heating guy's perspective!

Directly to the right of the like button is a number, click on the number, and it will display the number of guests that liked any given post, as well as any members who liked the post. See attached pic. I feel like that was your main question. 

As to why some folks can get multiple guest likes, I would gather from Dave, BA, and nif that likes are associated with your IP address.  

For example, on cellular data your phone will have an IP address, on Wi-Fi it will have a different IP address.  So if you like a post from Starbucks Wi-Fi, or other Wi-Fi networks such as work, you could have as many likes as you have IP addresses. BA mentioned some techie way to change your IP address (guessing Larb knows something about this lol)

If you have more questions, you'd have to ask Lake Link tech-support lol!  I don't do any social media outside of LinkedIn for work, and Lake Link for fun!

Like feature on new topic / thread photo by Plmlk
9/19/23 @ 4:17 PM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17
I’m enjoying the fact that I don’t understand what the hail  you guys are talking about!  
Displaying 1 to 15 of 42 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE