Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Las Vegas shooting

10/2/17 @ 5:11 AM
ORIGNAL POST
jkb
User since 6/25/02

Prayers go out to all of the families of injured and dead at the Jason Aldean concert in Las Vegas.  Early reports say a 64 year old (Stephen Paddock ,Nevada resident) man opened fire on the concertgoers at an outdoor concert on the strip in Las Vegas from the 32nd floor of the Mandalay Bay hotel.  The guy emptied several clips over the course of 10-15 minutes at the people below. Over 20 dead and 100+ injured.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 261 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
10/7/17 @ 9:27 AM
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
Law enforcement officials briefed on the investigation also said Friday that they had learned Paddock approached an ammunition dealer wanting to buy a large quantity of tracer rounds at a gun show in Phoenix last month.

The dealer did not have the quantity Paddock wanted, so Paddock did not end up buying anything from him, they said. The dealer told law enforcement that Paddock was neatly dressed and polite, and did not say anything that would raise a red flag. He gave the dealer the impression that he wanted the tracer rounds for recreational use with friends. 

Law enforcement learned of the encounter because Paddock had an ammunition box bearing the dealer’s name.

I guess this was just gift to Paddock

10/6/17 @ 9:39 PM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01

NBC credibility in the dumpster again... like much of the mainstream media... opinion blabbing,  not honest, vetted reporting 

10/6/17 @ 9:20 PM
Brad
User since 6/19/01

Mr. Golden -

While I appreciate your thoughtful approach to most topics, I have to disagree with you as you seem to be dismissing the difference between PP and the PAC's that share many of their interests.

A statement was made that tax dollars were given to PP who then donated that money to political candidates.  That is a false statement.  I was neither agreeing or disagreeing with the point of the original post - simply pointing out the incorrect assertion.

If I've misread your intent, I apologize.    

10/6/17 @ 4:57 PM
Dave (Golden)
Dave (Golden)
MEMBER since 6/22/01

NBC is really on a roll.. They were wrong (fake news) again.. They ran a  news article about the likely probability that someone else was in Paddocks room. In the room when his car was gone, and a phone charger that didn't fit Paddock electronic device.. The under Sheriff in LV shot that all to heck in his news conference this afternoon.. It seems that NBC now just makes crap up, or takes stuff they are told by unnamed sources and gospel and runs with it.

10/6/17 @ 1:15 PM
12packabs
12packabs
User since 12/19/06

Bozo,

I'm not a member of the NRA, nor would I ever claim to follow their politics deeply.  It seems to me all parties in politics are full of BS-filled blowhards (including the NRA, Planned Parenthood, and every other PAC, office holder and most elected officials).   However, I do resemble Charlton Heston's description of a gun-owner saying to someone trying to dis-arm me, "from my cold, dead fingers"...or however it went.

The political winds are blowing toward the left, pushing for attempts to repeal the 2nd amendment.  NY Times' Bret Stephans just printed an op-ed arguing for the repeal.  We hear the same from Michael Moore.  We may think these are extreme positions, but over time those ideologies will drift to the center, and it may come to this, down the road.

Never will I register any weapon I may (or may not) own under any coming legislation.  They will stay hidden away for that time I have usurpers trying to break into my home and harm my family.

It won't affect me if bump stocks are banned.  Nor assault rifles or large clips...I have none of them.  But I DO firmly believe that banning guns as a result of this type of tragedy is like banning forks because too many people are fat (stolen from Rush), or banning cars because too many people die in them.  All it is, is window-dressing that will have no effect on prevention of the tragedy in the first place.  Those bans are for our elected officials to look good to us morons who think they care.

Peace.

10/6/17 @ 10:12 AM
Bozo
User since 7/29/02

12pack thank you for the thoughtful,civil and on topic response. First I would agree that it is ironic that the 2nd amendment has been so broadly construed,yet as a liberal I always applied a broad view of it as including a personal right to bear arms. And it was SCOTUS that made that clear in the Heller decision. 

As to the NRA being forced into politics by the left,that is a little more "in the eye of the beholder". Remember when the NRA reffered to ATF agents as "Jack booted thugs" in a fund raising letter? And then HW Bush withdrew from the NRA. Jack boots were associated with Nazi's. That was an attack on the government and not just the left. Check out when the open carry law in California was repealed- when the Black Panthers started to openly carry guns. 

And that brings me to the subject of the left and guns. Lots of folks on the left are pro gun. And Pelosi dose not speak for the whole of the Democratic party. Bernie Sanders takes takes a broad view of gun rights as does Joe Manchin.

10/6/17 @ 8:54 AM
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
BugleTrout

Mods must have gone on vacation after they pulled all of the Anthem Protest threads for getting too political.

I think they pulled it after the personal attacks

10/6/17 @ 8:25 AM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12
Matter of simple semantics......defintiely. Cecile Richards is president of both organizations. (daughter of Progressive senator Anne Richards of TX, now deceased I believe)

10/6/17 @ 8:22 AM
Dave (Golden)
Dave (Golden)
MEMBER since 6/22/01

From the 2012 election cycle through the 2016 cycle so far, the political action entities, employees, and families of employees of Planned Parenthood and its affiliates devoted $33.9 million to outside spending mostly related to electing Democrats..

The separation between PP and their PAC's is simple semantics..

10/6/17 @ 8:17 AM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

PP by factcheck

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 261 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.