Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Laptop display problem

1/5/15 @ 11:08 AM
ORIGNAL POST
Lund forever
User since 1/21/08
I have a Dell inspiron laptop about 4 years old. Often when I turn on the unit, the display stays dark until I either work the display up and down slowly or at times the login box will be faint and then if I press on the center of the screen ( I don't have a touch screen) the window will light up. Any Idea's on what to do? Lund

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 10 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
1/6/15 @ 3:52 PM
woodturner
User since 2/12/04
Wifes Samsung was doing the same thing, turned out to be the video cable, it runs from the hard drive thru the hinge to the screen. Lots of flexing damages the fine wires in the hinge area. Determined the part number and then found one on ebay for $7, easy to replace but need to have patience, lots of very small screws, if I can do it anyone can!

1/6/15 @ 8:11 AM
Dave (Golden)
Dave (Golden)
MEMBER since 6/22/01
More than likely.. You might be able to plug the serial number of the laptop in as well which might identify the correct display as well... in the time being you can also plug an external display into the VGA port as well...

Alternately you can probably call Dell support and give them your Service Tag (number) on the back of the laptop and they might be able to tell you the type of display...

1/5/15 @ 8:35 PM
Lund forever
User since 1/21/08
Looks like I will need to take the old screen off to identify it. Correct? Lund

1/5/15 @ 6:03 PM
Dave (Golden)
Dave (Golden)
MEMBER since 6/22/01
You will need to ID the specific screen to order the correct replacement.. Most of the screen replacements for that model are under $100, which is good..

See Here:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3519/t/19461065

http://www.laptopscreen.com/English/model/Dell/INSPIRON~1545/

>

1/5/15 @ 5:49 PM
Lund forever
User since 1/21/08
It's a Dell inspiron 1545

1/5/15 @ 1:42 PM
alterego
alterego
User since 4/10/03
Usually the ribbon cable is permanently attached to the display. I've seen this issue come from the the connector to the board going bad (gets loose) as well as the ribbon cable cracking from the opening/closing of the lid over time. If the laptop is under warranty, great. If not, time to look for a replacement.

1/5/15 @ 12:58 PM
Dave (Golden)
Dave (Golden)
MEMBER since 6/22/01
What model (specifically) do you have.. Not sure if you can just replace the ribbon cable(s)... You might have to replace the entire display.. They sell them on the web ($150~$300) and usually have pretty good instructions (some with video) to do the work...

1/5/15 @ 12:53 PM
Lund forever
User since 1/21/08
Any idea where I can get a ribbon?

1/5/15 @ 12:39 PM
Dave (Golden)
Dave (Golden)
MEMBER since 6/22/01
Sounds like the ribbon cable or connection to the Display is biting the farm.. You might disassemble it to make sure the connections (there usually is a plug connection on the video board) are good.

You can also purchase replacement displays, but that might be more than what it is worth..

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 10 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.