LOGIN
Lake-Link

Kids going off to college

8/23/16 @ 9:07 PM
ORIGNAL POST
Plmlk
Brent Hess
MEMBER since 12/18/07

So my oldest is off to college later this week - Sunday is move in day, and he'll be in a different state.  I have to say I'm really struggling (in a positive way)

I have two boys and over the years we have done everything together, fishing, camping, snowmobiling, kayaking, deer hunting, duck hunting, ice fishing, Pheasant Forever hunts, the list goes on, my boys have always been my closest buds.  I really can't believe my first born is leaving the nest. 

I'm of course a proud Dad,  and glad he's off to find his own way, but if I'm being honest, I'm just not ready to see my oldest leave the house.

For you guys who have already been through it any words of wisdom?

The Woodlands Resort
(262) 661-3968
DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 215 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
8/17/19 @ 10:12 AM
chaw
User since 9/11/02

My son just left for Carbondale to finish his senior year. My God it all goes so fast. 

One thing about Senior year, if you don’t do the job the other 3 years there is no Senior year. In that I am proud of him for getting to where he is. As parents we can’t do anything for them in college other than to hope the lessons from childhood help them a little and their own personal drive and intelligence does the rest. His success in college is not mine, it’s all his. Here’s the best thing I can say about my 20 year old. He is a good man.  Proud of him and will miss him. 

I won’t miss his dishes.

8/16/19 @ 4:51 PM
hoofhearted25
User since 1/4/10

I grew up one of 4 boys. We all went our own way. Dad was a WWII Marine, not real emotional. Grew up as his son and him my father. He showed us the outdoors and the proper behavior. Went to school, came home some weekends.  Got a job, married had little ones. He went from father to friend. He told me once I was a bit hard on my son. I said not any harder than he was on us. In his dying days he told me I'd done a good job on my son. My son, I'm proud of. My Pa, I miss every day. 

Keep in touch with them let them grow. They will also become a friend.  

Semper Fi

8/16/19 @ 7:20 AM
dsinwi
User since 1/24/02

I hear you. This whole empty nest thing is overrated. It's been 2 years and I still feel like I haven't fully adjusted. Lots of thoughts and emotions.

At the end of the day, if the kids are safe, happy and on track we did our job...

Thought I'd include a pic of my son's ship taken in the gulf on 8\4.

8/15/19 @ 6:48 PM
Plmlk
Brent Hess
MEMBER since 12/18/07

My son's last day at home is tomorrow, then he's off on his own, and starting his career in Chicago. 

Dang I'm going to miss that boy!  

I feel similar to when I started this thread a few years back.  Proud like any parent, but sure going to miss him.  

The Woodlands Resort
(262) 661-3968
8/8/19 @ 7:06 PM
Plmlk
Brent Hess
MEMBER since 12/18/07

Dsinwi,

Will say a prayer for your boy.  Bittersweet I’m sure.  All the best friend. I started this thread when my oldest went off to college a few years back. 

Fast forward a few years and he has his degree and just accepted a network security position in Chicago. He’s leaving the nest for good - no more home for summer. 

Dang, time is spinning way too fast!  

The Woodlands Resort
(262) 661-3968
8/7/19 @ 6:50 AM
dsinwi
User since 1/24/02

Thanks guys. We often hear these days about kids, young people, who just don't have a work ethic or are lazy and want everything given to them. To be sure there is some of that but I am always quick to point out there are plenty who are fine young adults making their parents proud as well. This thread is certainly evidence of that.

8/6/19 @ 1:05 PM
chaw
User since 9/11/02

Dsinwi- I can only imagine how proud you are of your son. I am proud of him and I don’t even know him. I have no words except to say thank you to you, your family, and especially your son. 

8/6/19 @ 12:56 PM
SuspendedMusky
SuspendedMusky
User since 12/9/08

dsinwi,

Thanks for the update.  Just last week I was reviewing some of the posts on this thread and was wondering where your son ended up going.  It takes a special individual to make the commitment he did.  I know you are very proud of him, as you should be.  I will keep his safety in my thoughts and prayers.

8/6/19 @ 9:42 AM
dsinwi
User since 1/24/02

Not exactly off to college, more like off to work I guess. My son left the states for his first deployment to the Gulf. We've gotten some communication but its been sporadic at best. It's tough to get a gauge on what it's like and how he's doing. Concern over safety is obvious of course, his ship has seen some interaction with hostiles since arriving. I find myself praying he is embracing it and handling the mental side of long work days and very little sleep. He's a pretty tough kid. He's being tested.

Just felt like getting that off my chest. Thanks.

Our daughter has been coming home quite a bit this summer. I bought a canoe. Her and I have been enjoying that on some of the small area lake. It helps.

5/13/19 @ 4:00 AM
mudbucket
User since 12/21/04

Congratulations Suspended Musky, what a great moment to  remember.  

Hopefully you guys that get your kids back for the summer have a great time..

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 215 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.