Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Kennedy Assasination

11/22/14 @ 4:56 PM
ORIGNAL POST
Tommy Howell
User since 7/11/11
Hard to believe it was 51 years ago today. I was in my 3rd grade class when the teacher came in crying and told us the President had been killed. Then they dismissed school, I went home and found my mom and sister sitting in front of our old black & white TV crying.

Still don't believe the official findings.

Tommy's Guide Service
(218) 403-1075
DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 10 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
11/24/14 @ 10:43 AM
Big-Fish-R
User since 4/9/08
From what I've read, the mob hit really sounds like the most likely scenario. Many in the mob really detested JFK and RFK. They resented the crackdowns on mob activities, and felt betrayed. There is evidence they had help rig some election activities to give JFK the nomination. They felt it hypocritical that the Kennedy fortune was obtained by bootlegging, and then, especially RFK as AG decided to pursue criminal charges against mob activity.

11/24/14 @ 10:26 AM
Ulbian
User since 9/24/03
The notion that history is not important because it was "so long ago" is ridiculous.

JFK's assassination was one of those defining moments for a generation. It's one of those "I know exactly where I was when...." situations for anyone who was alive and old enough to recall the event. Much like the Challenger explosion, 9/11, and the fall of the Berlin Wall was for others who were not born or old enough to recall that day in 1963.

Today politics in this country is ugly. Ugly elections, non-stop partisan bickering, and a sense of distrust in government because both sides have lost hope that the right and the left can agree on anything.

The assassination of JFK played a major role in how ugly elections became. Consider this...Goldwater was the presumptive nominee for the GOP before the primaries. If he would have been nominated and JFK was still alive they had agreed to campaign together where each of them would provide their viewpoints on issues, counterpoints, etc. in a respectful manner because those two genuinely respected one another despite their ideological differences. Instead, JFK is killed and Goldwater runs against LBJ who turned nasty very soon as evidenced by the infamous "Daisy" television ad. That ad showed just how powerful the media (specifically TV) can be in a national campaign. JFK never would've run an ad like that. LBJ set out on his own course and went away from JFK's platform. The impact of that was huge then and it still is today.

JFK lives and runs against Goldwater. JFK probably wins that election and serves until 1968. Goldwater remains a leader in the senate and you have that respect between the two leaders of their party and the nation avoids the immediate bitterness that came out of the '64 election and subsequently Vietnam. Goldwater sets himself up to run again in '68 and the nation avoids the "draft Nixon" movement that propelled him to the White House. You can continue this exercise on your own if you like...

Point being...an event like the death of a sitting president sets the nation on a dramatically different course and has a ripple effect to the current day. Doesn't matter if it was Lincoln, McKinley, Kennedy, FDR, Harding, etc. These things are important because they create a situation where a leadership void is filled.

9/20/11 @ 11:19 AM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01
Kennedy also had the balls to stand up to threats to America

11/24/14 @ 5:41 AM
JethroBodine
User since 12/21/01
People in ANY party should be able to get behind the "Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" speech.

That attitude is what built our country.

11/23/14 @ 2:29 PM
FDL Mike
User since 6/15/01
Aliens.... I'm telling you , ... it was aliens.... control govt and the drug trade too

11/23/14 @ 1:34 PM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01
Agree on conspiracy theories.

but this event, the assassination of an American president is an important part of our history. And should be part of Americans collective consciousness

11/23/14 @ 1:25 PM
JethroBodine
User since 12/21/01
My bad nihsif.

Let's all take a moment to consider writing our congressional representatives about a. releasing ALL documentation of the Abraham Lincoln assassination b. reopening the investigation of these tragic events.

I'm being facetious of course, but it's been FIFTY ONE YEARS.

I don't see what possible purpose dredging up this tragedy so people who either weren't born, were very young, weren't there, weren't connected to govt intelligence can speculate about conspiracy theories.

If there was a "mysterious second gunman", that guy is either dead of old age or on the way there soon. (not to mention I don't think any of us in the Midwest are going to "crack the case")

No disrespect meant to anyone this was traumatic for, but I'm not a fan of conspiracy theories and this is so very old.

11/23/14 @ 1:09 PM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01
History is important, couldn't disagree with that post more.

I was home sick from school, grandma was taking care of me. We were both in shock... what a horrible and dark day for America.

11/23/14 @ 10:59 AM
JethroBodine
User since 12/21/01
While I can appreciate the assassination of a president is traumatic, it was half a century ago.

Health care is changing for all of us, we're legalizing recreational drugs, we're legalizing illegal aliens, the manufacturing jobs that were the backbone of our economy have been exported or marginalized, insane kids shoot up our schools, highly addictive methamphetamine and heroin are turning our kids into corpses or hardened criminals, people in foreign countries saw off our citizens heads, Russia is starting to expand it's reach, China pretty much owns us, Social Security needs restructuring, pension plans fail right and left, cities like Detroit are becoming 3rd world islands, and our government is at a standstill as the congress of the working and rich lock horns with the president of the students and poor.

There's enough to worry about these days without dredging up things from 50 years ago, IMHO. Wondering

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 10 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.