Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Jewelry-What to do with it?

8/31/17 @ 11:44 AM
ORIGNAL POST
frenchbrit
User since 7/24/01

My wife passed away in January this year from cancer and now I'm in the process of moving. She had hundreds of pieces of Jewelry that I would like to sell but really don't know how to go about it. Some is probably inexpensive but some are I'm sure worth something as I'm sure there is gold plating involved. I am afraid that I'll get taken advantage by a buyer If I could find one. Any thoughts on where or who to go to?

DISPLAYING 1 TO 8 OF 8 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
9/1/17 @ 7:55 AM
tiddies1981
tiddies1981
User since 1/22/15

Sorry about your loss. Possibly eBay for the jewelry. Co-worker owned a pawn shop in Chicago. I know he sold alot of jewelry in eBay. 

8/31/17 @ 4:58 PM
frenchbrit
User since 7/24/01

Thank you all for your kind words. I have actually had the kids and daughter in law go through everything and take whatever they wanted which was not much. None of them are really jewelry people though. I guess I'll try a few local Jewelers and see what they say.

8/31/17 @ 2:41 PM
badgerbass
User since 8/20/07

sent you a message

8/31/17 @ 1:30 PM
the_dude
the_dude
User since 1/10/03

frenchbrit - I'm sorry that I can't help with how to get rid of the jewelry other than I would perhaps ask a local jeweler for advice.  

Please accept my condolences on the passing of your wife.  I hope you are able to find peace.

8/31/17 @ 1:14 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

Sorry for your loss.  I agree with the previous post.  My great uncle gave me my great aunt's engagement ring when she passed.  He was a very frugal and practical person and didn't think it belonged in the ground.  Anyhow, it's on my wife's left hand and we always remember where it came from.  Food for thought.

8/31/17 @ 1:08 PM
Mr.Seaguar
MEMBER since 2/5/05

Very sorry about your loss. After my mil died, we tried to sell some. It is way more fun to gift it or donate it than haggle over a few pennies, is what we learned. You can give someone a keepsake to remember her by with a piece of her jewelry. 

8/31/17 @ 12:44 PM
Big-Fish-R
User since 4/9/08

Sorry for your loss.

I Don't have a lot to add.  As previously stated, jewelry doesn't seem to hold value well.  We had looked into value of some gold jewelry my wife has.  A lot was basically valued at the weight of the gold, no more.  This was at jewellers, so yes, probably pennies on the dollar.  Maybe you could try Craigslist for a better return?  Good luck.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 8 OF 8 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.