MENU
Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Invasive earthworms in Wisconsin and other states in U.S.

7/29/14 @ 1:18 PM
ORIGNAL POST
fishfinder101
fishfinder101
User since 1/1/10
This has been a recent hot topic around wisconsin and talked about on several sites over the past couple weeks. I go nightcrawler hunting just about every single night and havent found one of these yet. I've been picking worms for the last 4 years and cant say that I've ever saw one personally before. I was wondering if others have seen anything like this and at the very least wanted to help be aware of this. Here is a short news article on it. http://www.news.wisc.edu/22996 you can also find more information out about them looking online for invasive earthworms.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 6 OF 6 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
8/2/14 @ 6:11 PM
denesox
denesox
User since 2/1/06
The most interesting thing I took from that article is that the last glacier that covered all but the southwestern most part of WI, wiped out all the worms in this region, the ones we know now are invasives from Europe brought in by settlers. I never would have guessed that.

8/2/14 @ 5:22 PM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01
bad argument... those were introduced before the science was good enough and had enough history to know that introducing a new species isn't always a good idea

I thought the worms were limited to DC and state capitols , lord knows they cause way more trouble than they are worth most times Sweating

8/2/14 @ 9:59 AM
split shot
split shot
User since 6/19/01
8/1/14 @ 6:27 PM
piker_biker
piker_biker
User since 12/27/07
Ohh let's just stay away from where we've seen the worms instead of poisoning the area! Didn't UW-Madison release CWD too? Idiots!

7/29/14 @ 5:29 PM
migr8r
migr8r
User since 2/8/11
DISPLAYING 1 TO 6 OF 6 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.